• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] App that mirrors the screen to use it as a HUD

Search This thread

Phexi

Sep 17, 2007
Hi there. I need an app that mirrors the screen of my android phone to use it as a HUD in my car. I've already found an app that shows the current speed mirrored, but i would like to have it for other apps, too. So that i can use apps like Google Maps Navigation with my front window.

I googled a lot, but i sadly didn't find anything...

dovigz

Feb 9, 2017
I am working on a solution that allows you to get a readable reflection of the phone on the windshield. You can use a special film on the windshield (50% reflective - 50% see through) to improve the quality of the image (eliminate ghost image). I have made a working prototype, the solution is simple, compact and doesn't require one to hack the phone. Using it in HUD mode works great at night and also on a cloudy or overcast day but it doesn't work on sunny conditions. On a sunny day one would use it as a regular phone mount on the dashboard. Is there real interest from this community for such a product?

like this... its ready out there https://www.amazon.com/Techstick-Di...8&qid=1495733011&sr=1-24&keywords=hud+display

nikosbocho

Jan 3, 2013

The film that goes on the windshield is like the one in the link. The one I am using is made of different material so it doesn't leave bubbles when you try to install it. The big difference is not in the film, it is in the fact that the image reflected off the windshield is the exact image you would see on the phone screen. No need for HUD apps, you can use Google Maps, Waze, Uber, Lyft or any app on the phone.

Reactions: dovigz

dovigz

Feb 9, 2017
The film that goes on the windshield is like the one in the link. The one I am using is made of different material so it doesn't leave bubbles when you try to install it. The big difference is not in the film, it is in the fact that the image reflected off the windshield is the exact image you would see on the phone screen. No need for HUD apps, you can use Google Maps, Waze, Uber, Lyft or any app on the phone.

o that is great i would be very interested in buying it

pslat

Nov 29, 2010
The android app you require is Vision HUD. It is designed for use with the HUD or just your window screen.
Phexi was not looking for an app that has HUD mode, there are lots of apps designed to work in HUD mode including your suggestion. The tread is about finding an app that would reverse the display of other apps or the entire device screen. It looks likely that this would require a modified kernel though so thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added 13th September 2017 at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was 12th September 2017 at 11:37 PM ----------

Here's a thought guys, why can't we setup the Android with something like a VNC server and VNC client and connect to itself with the VNC and have it rotate or mirror the screen. Then once you connect you hit the button to show all your open apps (in a mirrored POV) then once it's open you set it on the dashboard and there's a HUD reflected with the correct mirror.

This doesn't seem to hard to me however sitting here 10 beers deep wanting it for Waze on my droid as a HUD on the truck windshield in a friends truck isn't the time to do anything more than throw this idea out. I love a challenge! Someone tell me I'm right or at least onto something that could work without development.

Hey sumerboard, you are probably nearest to a possible, sort-of solution, have another beer for your thoughts:) VNC displays an image of what is on the screen already so I think this would require two devices, plus some programming. I agree with mcdull in below about the android system and that a full solution would require a modified kernel on a rooted device so this suggestion is a combination of what you suggest and what mcdull suggests in his post #114t:-
It cannot be an app. App development is simply impossible to implement this feature unless you are going to simulate the entire android system on an app. If it has to be done, would temper the hardware abstract layer HAL and is device specific. It seems possible to implement this in a specific device using a specific custom kernel but won't make it generally usable.

Another possible solution is an app that mirror and flip the screen of another pad. E.g., you have a nexus7 put on the stereo din and broadcasting screen to an 5.5 inch phone (e.g.nexus 6) putting under the win shield. The nexus 6 would only act a screen of hud. Operation had to be done on nexus 7 which is not flipped. That would be a lot easier and practical.
Now I know that what he suggests, an app that mirror and flip the screen, is essentially what we are looking for already except that he mentions two devices.

..So if you had the server device running any required app and mounted normally in the car (or truck in your case) with a VNC server running in the background, that device could be linked to a client device running a modified version of a VNC client which mirrors the screen before displaying it - that should work as long as the updates didn't need to be ultra fast - and providing you have access to a spare device for the HUD. The devices would also need to be linked together through wi-fi or bluetooth.
Yes I know that involves editing the VNC client source but the extra overhead to flip the screen would be on the client side and the primary device could get on with the main job of producing the display. No, I doubt I will get around to looking at the VNC client source to do that but this is xda forums.. must be someone here up for that challenge?

mcdull

Feb 15, 2007
Hong Kong
Woo. It has been an really old post. The beauty of having the client server approach is that you really need the primary device that you can interact with to be mounted on the dash board. Or even there are tech to flip and invert the screen, you will need to remove the HUD from wind shield, set it to normal display and operate the UI and activate the HUD mode and put it back. Which is not acceptable during driving of course.

As most ppl interested in this topic has already mounted an android in the 2DIN spaces of the car audio, there will be least effort to add a dump device (preferably OLED) just to mirror and flip the screen. All operation is done on the primary device nice and easy.

Phexi was not looking for an app that has HUD mode, there are lots of apps designed to work in HUD mode including your suggestion. The tread is about finding an app that would reverse the display of other apps or the entire device screen. It looks likely that this would require a modified kernel though so thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added 13th September 2017 at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was 12th September 2017 at 11:37 PM ----------

Hey sumerboard, you are probably nearest to a possible, sort-of solution, have another beer for your thoughts:) VNC displays an image of what is on the screen already so I think this would require two devices, plus some programming. I agree with mcdull in below about the android system and that a full solution would require a modified kernel on a rooted device so this suggestion is a combination of what you suggest and what mcdull suggests in his post #114t:-

Now I know that what he suggests, an app that mirror and flip the screen, is essentially what we are looking for already except that he mentions two devices.

..So if you had the server device running any required app and mounted normally in the car (or truck in your case) with a VNC server running in the background, that device could be linked to a client device running a modified version of a VNC client which mirrors the screen before displaying it - that should work as long as the updates didn't need to be ultra fast - and providing you have access to a spare device for the HUD. The devices would also need to be linked together through wi-fi or bluetooth.
Yes I know that involves editing the VNC client source but the extra overhead to flip the screen would be on the client side and the primary device could get on with the main job of producing the display. No, I doubt I will get around to looking at the VNC client source to do that but this is xda forums.. must be someone here up for that challenge?

odino77

Mar 6, 2016
Massa
Hi! This app work fine for me at the moment, waiting for google's full screen mirror option instead!

Name : HUDdle - Head Up Display
Link : https :// play.google . com/store/apps/details?id=co.aquaapps.huddle

Fully personalizzable interface for display the data that you need!

Personalized interface : https :// goo . gl/xCKLTe
Navigation mode : https :// goo . gl/dgRFdi

;)

PS : remove all spaces in links for use it.

Teadby

Apr 8, 2018
Hi. Don't know if this has been suggested before.. I have been waiting for a way to mirror the screen for hud display of ANY app for years now.... what if you used two reflective serfaces? So have the phone facing down at a 45 degree angle and letting the screen reflect off a mirrored surface sitting flat on the dash then reflected again off the windscreen. Wouldn't the light being reflected twice make it appear normal? Ok so it's not pretty but surely easier than having a whole other device to stream a vnc from. Thoughts?

nikosbocho

Jan 3, 2013
I know this is an old thread, but I'm still looking for an app like this and can't seem to find it anywhere. Any new information?

I have been working on an optics/mount solution that will achieve this. I attach a photo that I took at night:

Google-Maps-HUD-windshield.jpg

For this photo I was using Google Maps, but this would work with any app such as Waze, Uber, Lyft, Android Auto etc. A few other things that might not be evident:

1. The virtual image (reflection) appears to be floating 1m or more in front of the windshield. In the photo the virtual image is focused closer to the white wall. With the current mode of reflecting the phone directly on the windshield the reflection is at the windshield, so the driver's has to refocus close.
2. The double reflection is "virtually" eliminated. It is never actually eliminated but the second reflection becomes more aligned with the first reflection. This will depend on the car, as each car has slightly different windshield.
3. No special wedge windshield or reflective film is required.

So this solution does more than what a software fix would do. Also during the day the "gadget" could be used as a regular mount.

I can't give away the secret but I wanted to gauge if there is any interest in such a gadget.

Reactions: Daffy1982

fookingthg

Oct 13, 2019
Finally did it!!

I know im late. But thanks to this thread. After reading all these posts, i was convinced that there are no existing mods, or any other ready made solution available.
So thought of doing it myself. Changed the source and built a custom ROM on top of lineageOS. Added a new option (HUD Mode :cool:)
Here is a working video of my HUD display. cheers. :D
youtube.com /watch?v=kXynuJO0584
Since im a new member, im not allowed to post links. Use the above without space.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good app but need to adjust too much. Need to automate the adjustments to make it user friendly.
    I totally agree that the setup is a bit of a pain, and I have an idea on how to improve things, but it's also not particularly nice, and might not work all the time. (It involves creating a new, simple app to run it in the other half, to calibrate the main app. Then I could see exactly which part of the screen is taken by Half HUD and which part is used by the app you want to project.)

Also, I don't expect improving this would dramatically change the adoption, which is at a grand total of 21 users after it peaked at 23 a few days ago. My question is: After taking the time to set it up, is this something people actually want to use? How many?

Anyway, when I find some time I guess I could try the approach I described above, to see how well it works. Or, does anybody have a better idea?
    Hi there. I need an app that mirrors the screen of my android phone to use it as a HUD in my car. I've already found an app that shows the current speed mirrored, but i would like to have it for other apps, too. So that i can use apps like Google Maps Navigation with my front window.

I googled a lot, but i sadly didn't find anything...
    i have been working with custom apps development for work, and I think (I HAVE VERY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE DONT QUOTE ME AS AN EXPERT OR CODER) you are right, this should be a one-button widget/one-option setting under 'settings' of a ROM, not an APP, that simply reverses display on the Y - axis (hell, option for x-axis too, don't know if vertical or landscape display wanted/needed, especially with tablets), reverses control functions, and control locations. (ESPECIALLY ICS controls)

My understanding of coding for this, you can't have an app that would effect the output of another app, the only 'system wide' apps, like 'Screen Filter' for example, can control a system-wide "overlay" but not change the actual output of display options.

I am only posting this because we had the same issue come up with something hella specific we were working on, an education in-house app, needed a left-hand and right-hand version, and at first were thinking some kind of library call to either mirror or flip just a specific layer of display within the app, but it turned out it was much much much much easier to just recode a 2nd location for the controls and set it under options within the app to choose which one to use, the 'mirroring' i think proved to be impossible without a custom rom, which most of us would've been ok with but can't add new people or expect to have enterprise control of the app if it was a rom change. See, if you mirror the display, the touch controls work opposite their button location. If you mirror the control buttons as well, the functionality of Left Right becomes reversed too, essentially breaking the app. (think of the old helicopter game controls, only left right instead of up down)

but, not only for HUD, but for left-hand/right hand, disability access, and other various uses, a ROM-wide setting to control reversing the display of both controls layer and app-display layer would be most excellent for custom roms and eventually the Android core code as well (Here is the problem everyone in this thread is ignoring, if the display output is simply reversed, your touch controls, especially for ICS system buttons, functionality would be broken, controls in the dead center would work backwards and controls on the left or right side of axis would still work on the opposite side of where the display shows the button to be, and this would, for the common user, essentially break functionality of the phone itself) --- Am I making sense? someone who is a better developer should be able to rephrase what i'm saying in a better way.

But the app controls would also need to be reversed, and I don't think that can be done via an app, at least not to control the behavior of other apps. An overlay wouldn't work, even if it was a mirrored output of display over a blank overlay of the original display output, because control options can't be manipulated by an additional app for the app you are actively using.

But i agree, this should be easy enough to do for CM10 and other custom roms.

I would just suggest you separate the two within settings, so there is an option to reverse controls only (for left handed, disabled, special situations, etc -- which should really be included in Android core itself) for accessibility, let apps call on the control layout option so can just code once and have it reverse A) location, for handedness, B)functionality, for special use, options, and HUD, and then C) also reverse display, for either HUD or Mirrored projection/video output/special uses. So, if I understand the android programming correctly, you just need to include 3 separate reverse-output libraries for app programmers to call, which could also just be set system-wide within options, they are 1)reverse touchscreen control location based on a flip of y-axis or x-axis in landscape, 2)reverse touchscreen control functionality based on the gyroscope-detected axis, and 3) reverse the display rendering output along the axis, also gyroscope-detected.

I guess I would suggest begging CM folks to incorporate this, and once its in use with enough people out there, maybe by the time Android is at Sweetbread or Truffles it will be incorporated into the main libraries. Either that or a group of disabled and left-handed folks (NOT IMPLYING THE SAME THING BETWEEN THE TWO GROUPS PEOPLE, I HAPPEN TO BE LEFT HANDED MYSELF) sue google class action to include these in the programming libraries under the disabilities act violations for accessibility.

----

of course, if someone else knows a much, much easier way to do this with just a standalone app, please speak up!!!!!!!
    not that I've found. you'd think mirroring the display on the y axis would be simple. I'll make it of I ever learn java/linux/android programming
    I think 5 is enough. Any of these float your boat? (those all *should* have mirrored "HUD" settings so when laid on your dash under your windshield you get the effect of the BMW HUD above. I haven't tried any of them personally, though.)

He isn't looking for a speedometer, he wants to mirror his screen for all apps, so that way he can use the maps app or the navigation app or any other app of his choosing and see it on his windshield. Before you go off on your next pissy fit, read carefully.
    Do it physically. Make a holder that will let your phone sit upright with a mirror in front of it angled 45 degrees. Now the windshield will show the mirror image of the mirror; ie. not backward / upside down...

Of course it would be tough to actually USE the phone... maybe voice commands? :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk