• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Apps see internal storage as read-only?

Search This thread

william72

Mar 10, 2011
Using TWRP today I wiped dalvik and cache, then fix permissions. On reboot, apps see internal storage as read-only. For example backup folder settings in Titanium show internal as non-writable, but external is OK. Swiftkey can't update language modules. Other apps have similar problems, think a permission is messed up, anyone know a fix? Thanks.

william72

Mar 10, 2011
Been rooted, xposed running with wanam, external card writable, phone running fast, still running well with no lag. Believe it's a simple permission issue messed up fixing permissions in TWRP. Might have to just Odin stock and start over.

whiterider13

Jan 15, 2011
Sugar Hill, GA
Been rooted, xposed running with wanam, external card writable, phone running fast, still running well with no lag. Believe it's a simple permission issue messed up fixing permissions in TWRP. Might have to just Odin stock and start over.
I would recommend posting this question in the TWRP thread. I just had the same problem after wiping and fixing permissions. I even tried restoring the backup I made before hand with no luck.

ambress

Jan 6, 2009
As Darkman mentioned, there is a fix for the SD card issue in the Play store, called NextApp SD Fix. After having just attempted an unsuccessful Titanium Backup of my Note 4 to a "not writable" SD card, I searched and found a posting about this fix and just finished installing it. After a reboot, problem solved! :D The fix does require a rooted phone, so if you're unwilling to forsake your warranty, given rooting will trip the Knox flag, then you'll have to deal with the frustration of keeping some space free in device memory for apps that would otherwise use the SD card, and move files to it manually as needs dictate.

william72

Mar 10, 2011
As Darkman mentioned, there is a fix for the SD card issue in the Play store, called NextApp SD Fix. After having just attempted an unsuccessful Titanium Backup of my Note 4 to a "not writable" SD card, I searched and found a posting about this fix and just finished installing it. After a reboot, problem solved! :D The fix does require a rooted phone, so if you're unwilling to forsake your warranty, given rooting will trip the Knox flag, then you'll have to deal with the frustration of keeping some space free in device memory for apps that would otherwise use the SD card, and move files to it manually as needs dictate.
To clarify, fixing permissions in TWRP makes INTERNAL non-writable, external works fine, the app you mentioned fixes external SD card write permissions.

Reactions: flaxfrogfriend

GameX2

Jun 28, 2011
QC
I have the same problem. =(
(But actually I'm using a Galaxy S4, SGH-I337M. Exact same problem)

I flashed an AOSP ROM then restored my Stock TouchWiz backup. From now, the apps can't write to the internal storage :eek:
I did fixed the permissions but when the problem started to occur. I don't remember having fixed the permissions before the problem showed up.

So restoring factory from Odin would do it?
Then can I restore my current TWRP backup, or will the problem show up again? Is this happening exclusively with "Fix Permissions" ?

Thank you very much

EDIT: This fix worked =) Even if it was intended for the Note 3 and I have S4.
http://www.rom-central.com/showthread.php?8-GUIDE-Internal-sdcard-not-writable-Fix&

su
restorecon -v -R /data/media

Last edited:

denttarek

Jun 26, 2007
Awesome fix, I had this problem for weeks. I odin NK2 stock and re rooted and still had the same problem..that Terminal fix saved my life.
Thanks again

kcsween

Mar 27, 2012
Ft. Stewart
For those having issues with TB, have you tried this option:

Storage Provider: Document Storage Provider

That should fix the R/W issues to the SD card.

Also, I believe MM has the SD card as read-only as a default. You'll have to go into app permissions to allow access to the SD card on a per app basis if you're not prompted for it. I had that issue with Hangouts where I wasn't able to change the notification sounds and I tinkered around with the app permissions and enabled access to the SD card and fixed my issue.

Sent from my SM-N910P using XDA-Developers mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the same problem. =(
    (But actually I'm using a Galaxy S4, SGH-I337M. Exact same problem)

I flashed an AOSP ROM then restored my Stock TouchWiz backup. From now, the apps can't write to the internal storage :eek:
    I did fixed the permissions but when the problem started to occur. I don't remember having fixed the permissions before the problem showed up.

So restoring factory from Odin would do it?
    Then can I restore my current TWRP backup, or will the problem show up again? Is this happening exclusively with "Fix Permissions" ?

Thank you very much

EDIT: This fix worked =) Even if it was intended for the Note 3 and I have S4.
    http://www.rom-central.com/showthread.php?8-GUIDE-Internal-sdcard-not-writable-Fix&

su
    restorecon -v -R /data/media
    I had to use kies to wipe the phone, rerooted, now it works fine.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=56265457

Follow those instructions. But I think you have to start clean.
    Used the full tar with Odin from shabbypenguin, my apps remained, cf-root, then flashify TWRP, all is well again. Just won't fix permissions in TWRP until corrected.
    To clarify, fixing permissions in TWRP makes INTERNAL non-writable, external works fine, the app you mentioned fixes external SD card write permissions.