• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Asus TF101 Transformer Stuck Booting to Only Recovery

Search This thread

Saythis

Jan 30, 2012
Ok, So I saw ClockworkMod released a recovery 5.5.0.4 for the Asus Transformer TF101 and decided to try it out(Dumb move on my part I admit). Anyways, now it continually boots into Recovery and will not boot into the AndroidOS at all. I've attempted NVFlash only to find out I have a B80 with a Locked Bootloader, thus I cannot use NVFlash. I've also tried reflashing Roach's Recovery as well as Rogue Recovery to no avail it does not seem to work. I'm pretty much as my whit's end here and was wondering if anyone had any possibility of fixing this or do I have a new paperweight?

Any and all Ideas are welcome :) I've tried looking through various other forums along with searching widely for some form of a fix but yeah...

Reactions: xafs

jgator87

Jun 15, 2006
Same thing just happened to me yesterday. I have tried everything. I have a B90 and i cant get out of CWM Recovery. CWM also won't see my micro sd card.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

chrizz29

Feb 24, 2011
Jyllinge
Hi guys!

Just about the same thing happened to me yesterday.

I was getting tired of ICS-reboots and instability, so i rooted my TF101, installed RomManager and flashed CWM 5.5.0.4.

When CWM couldn't see my MicroSD I ended up putting the zips on internal memory and flashed both a full wipe script and Android Revolution HD 3.0.1. This worked fine.

However - when I reboot my Transformer, it always reboots into CWM instead of booting normally. To get it to reboot normally, I do the following:

- Power on and then hold [Vol Down] until there is small white print at the top of the screen
- Wait about 5 seconds
- Press [Vol Up] to perform a "cold boot", which basically boots your Transformer normally

I too would like to know how to stop the default CWM-boot.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Christian

Last edited:

chrizz29

Feb 24, 2011
Jyllinge
Hi again!

Last night I stayed up late trying to fix this - and guess what...it worked! :)

It took some searching on XDA and Google to find the solution.

Everything you need to flash a working recovery is in the first post of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1530337

I flashed the following recovery: "CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4 roach-tf101-r2" (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1213723)

At first the command "adb shell" wouldn't work in Windows command prompt. Found out that the Asus adb-drivers were not installed correctly, so I had to update the drivers manually in Windows (downloaded them from Asus' support-site).

I didn't have to push the recovery to the internal memory, as it was already there from my previous attempts.

Fire away if you have any questions!

Edit: And by the way - afterwards I was able to flash Krakd 1.5.2, which I'm running now. ICS can wait for now - I need it to more stable...

Regards,
Christian :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: xafs and LIL-SIDDI

rawtek

Oct 11, 2008
Miami
WiFi Not turning on..

Thank you for the tip! I'll give it a try- I encountered the exact same issue with CWM, plus an extra present... Wifi will not turn on. Still scratching my head over that one, but it's an issue for another thread.

I had the same issue when restoring form a nandroid backup.
The way I fixed it was by doing the following
***DO A FULL WIPE***
--Flashed Rom--first
--wiped data--second
--Advanced restore/restore data only--
--reboot-- done
Wifi working Again.
Hope the helps..

However still Haaving problems with clockwork mod rebooting tried the above post and nothing .....:(:(

Last edited:

xordos

Dec 4, 2010
I got the same problem after play around with ROMManager, following is how to fix it.

Credit goes to here: http://blog.vegeby.nu/post/20159305108/transformer-always-booting-recovery-solution

As Christian mentioned in post #3, press Vol- with Power to boot into Android normally, then do following in either adb or Terminal app:

Step 0:
Code:
su
(to switch to root mode, the prompt should change to #)

Step 1:
Code:
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
this will print something like following
==========
boot-recovery

x......#4r8$)#*0
==========
(5 to 10 lines garbage text except first line)

Make sure the first line is "boot-recovery", if not, DO NOT CONTINUE.

Step 2:
Then, run following command carefully, make sure it is correct:

Code:
echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0
it should say some thing like 5 bytes write

Step 3: (Optional, you can reboot now, if you are curious, run this step to see/verify the changes we just did)
Then run the cat cmd again:
Code:
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
==============
boot
recovery

x......#4r8$)#*0
===============
(same garbage text except first line now is only "boot")

Now, a normal reboot should boot to Android by default.

Again, do this at your own risk, if you are not comfortable do this, maybe you can try flash other ROM (like Post #7) see if they overwrite above partition.

Cheers,
xordos

Edit: if the cat cmd cause many garbage chars and even corrupt the display, please try following command to only display first 2 lines:
Code:
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 | head -2

Last edited:

fmuncher456

Dec 12, 2010
I got the same problem after play around with ROMManager, following is how to fix it.

Credit goes to here: http://blog.vegeby.nu/post/20159305108/transformer-always-booting-recovery-solution

As Christian mentioned in post #3, press Vol- with Power to boot into Android normally, then do following in either adb or Terminal app:

Step 0:
Code:
su

Step 1:
Code:
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
==========
boot-recovery

x......#4r8$)#*0
==========

Step 2:

Code:

Step 3: (Optional, you can reboot now, if you are curious, run this step to see/verify the changes we just did)
Code:
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
==============
boot
recovery

x......#4r8$)#*0
===============

Again, do this at your own risk, if you are not comfortable do this, maybe you can try flash other ROM (like Post #7) see if they overwrite above partition.

Cheers,
xordos
Worked fine for me, thanks!

Nomadadon

Dec 25, 2010
Still Stuck

I tried the above, no change. Every reboot goes to recovery.

One thing I noticed, when it boots to recovery it always claims to be 5.5.0.4 even though RomManager claims I'm on 5.8.2.1. I tried rolling to 5.8.2.0 and back, even to 5.5.0.4 and back to 5.8.2.1. but every boot goes to recovery and claims to be 5.5.0.4.

xordos

Dec 4, 2010
I tried the above, no change. Every reboot goes to recovery.

One thing I noticed, when it boots to recovery it always claims to be 5.5.0.4 even though RomManager claims I'm on 5.8.2.1. I tried rolling to 5.8.2.0 and back, even to 5.5.0.4 and back to 5.8.2.1. but every boot goes to recovery and claims to be 5.5.0.4.

Have you tried step 3 to verified the result? the first line changed or not?

xordos

Dec 4, 2010
I did the cat of the block device and it throws many pages of binary data. I am pretty sure I saw the boot-recovery go by but it crashed my connectbot.

Oh, i see, can you try following command then:

(I updated my original post too)

If you still see "boot-recovery" in first line, then it means the "dd" cmd is not successful, please make sure you are root (step 0, su is doing this) when you run the dd. Or you can run command "id" and double check.

Last edited:

Nomadadon

Dec 25, 2010
TF101

Same think couple pages of binary goes blowing by. If I do head -1 I get "boot-recovery" then write:Broken pipe.

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 AM ----------

I just redid the echo | dd part. hte Head -2 showed boot and boot-recovery as it should. I rebooted and booted into recovery 5.4.0.4 again. After the reboot the "boot" is missing from the block head output.

That part concerns me also, according to rom manager I'm on 5.8.something but every time I boot into recovery I'm in the same 5.4.0.4. it's like I have 2 recoveries chained or something.

xordos

Dec 4, 2010
Same think couple pages of binary goes blowing by. If I do head -1 I get "boot-recovery" then write:Broken pipe.

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 AM ----------

I just redid the echo | dd part. hte Head -2 showed boot and boot-recovery as it should. I rebooted and booted into recovery 5.4.0.4 again. After the reboot the "boot" is missing from the block head output.

That part concerns me also, according to rom manager I'm on 5.8.something but every time I boot into recovery I'm in the same 5.4.0.4. it's like I have 2 recoveries chained or something.

OK, yeah, then your setup is weird, looks like some boot code overwrite that block and set it back to boot-recovery. Maybe you can try clean it up by flashing some ROM and/or cwm again?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys!

Just about the same thing happened to me yesterday.

I was getting tired of ICS-reboots and instability, so i rooted my TF101, installed RomManager and flashed CWM 5.5.0.4.

When CWM couldn't see my MicroSD I ended up putting the zips on internal memory and flashed both a full wipe script and Android Revolution HD 3.0.1. This worked fine.

However - when I reboot my Transformer, it always reboots into CWM instead of booting normally. To get it to reboot normally, I do the following:

- Power on and then hold [Vol Down] until there is small white print at the top of the screen
    - Wait about 5 seconds
    - Press [Vol Up] to perform a "cold boot", which basically boots your Transformer normally

I too would like to know how to stop the default CWM-boot.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Christian

Step 0:
    Code:
    su

Step 1:
    Code:
    cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    ==========
    boot-recovery

x......#4r8$)#*0
    ==========

Step 2:

Code:

Code:
    cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    ==============
    boot
    recovery

x......#4r8$)#*0
    ===============

Cheers,
    xordos

Edit: if the cat cmd cause many garbage chars and even corrupt the display, please try following command to only display first 2 lines:
    Code:
    Hi again!

Last night I stayed up late trying to fix this - and guess what...it worked! :)

It took some searching on XDA and Google to find the solution.

Everything you need to flash a working recovery is in the first post of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1530337

I flashed the following recovery: "CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4 roach-tf101-r2" (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1213723)

At first the command "adb shell" wouldn't work in Windows command prompt. Found out that the Asus adb-drivers were not installed correctly, so I had to update the drivers manually in Windows (downloaded them from Asus' support-site).

I didn't have to push the recovery to the internal memory, as it was already there from my previous attempts.

Fire away if you have any questions!

Edit: And by the way - afterwards I was able to flash Krakd 1.5.2, which I'm running now. ICS can wait for now - I need it to more stable...

Regards,
    Christian :cool:
    Ok, So I saw ClockworkMod released a recovery 5.5.0.4 for the Asus Transformer TF101 and decided to try it out(Dumb move on my part I admit). Anyways, now it continually boots into Recovery and will not boot into the AndroidOS at all. I've attempted NVFlash only to find out I have a B80 with a Locked Bootloader, thus I cannot use NVFlash. I've also tried reflashing Roach's Recovery as well as Rogue Recovery to no avail it does not seem to work. I'm pretty much as my whit's end here and was wondering if anyone had any possibility of fixing this or do I have a new paperweight?

Any and all Ideas are welcome :) I've tried looking through various other forums along with searching widely for some form of a fix but yeah...