[Q] Best experiences with external battery backups?

Search This thread

MashedBrotato

May 31, 2015
Park City, UT
Just ordered a Zenfone 2 to replace my old S3. Love the phone, but hate the non-removable battery. Took the leap anyway because of the price. What are your best recommendations for battery backup units in the ~6000 mAh, ~12000 mAh, and ~20000+ mAh ranges? I figure I can snag a small backup that can fit in a pocket and a larger one I can leave in my car/bag/backpack. Which ones have you guys experienced that are long lasting and charge effectively? Ones that are resilient? Anything to the gimmicky seeming solar charging backup units from the like of ZeroLemon or another producer?

beastofexmoor

Jan 24, 2007
Aukey has a "Quick Charge 2.0" battery pack that should quick charge the phone way faster than any other option out there. Other than that I'd just watch the usual deal forums, etc. to find well reviewed models on sale.

My assumption has always been that tiny solar panels probably take forever to replenish your battery pack, but I can't say I have any firsthand experience.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Aukey has a "Quick Charge 2.0" battery pack that should quick charge the phone way faster than any other option out there. Other than that I'd just watch the usual deal forums, etc. to find well reviewed models on sale.

My assumption has always been that tiny solar panels probably take forever to replenish your battery pack, but I can't say I have any firsthand experience.

The Aukey ones work well, I have 2 of them and they quick charge just fine and will give you ~2-2.5 charges depending on your usage while charging.

tweak17emon

Jan 20, 2011
Denver, CO
http://www.amazon.com/Anker-13000mA...953&creativeASIN=B00BQ5KHJW&ascsubtag=WC17134

I would ONLY buy Anker brand. a lot of usb mobile batteries dont have power output to charge a phone that is also in use, and also have a heavy degradation after multiple uses. I was in a jam and bought a second battery at a CVS when i was out of town on business once and left my Anker brand at home, and after 3 uses it no longer could charge my phone faster than i was using it (talking on the phone).

MashedBrotato

May 31, 2015
Park City, UT
http://www.amazon.com/Anker-13000mA...953&creativeASIN=B00BQ5KHJW&ascsubtag=WC17134

I would ONLY buy Anker brand. a lot of usb mobile batteries dont have power output to charge a phone that is also in use, and also have a heavy degradation after multiple uses. I was in a jam and bought a second battery at a CVS when i was out of town on business once and left my Anker brand at home, and after 3 uses it no longer could charge my phone faster than i was using it (talking on the phone).

Is the lifespan of Anker brand backups well known to be good? I'm thinking I'll buy two of the same unit so I can quickly swap them out of my bag when they die.

Sammaul

Aug 16, 2014
I'm getting the Mi Power Bank...the 10000 mah version can be had for $14 usd. Only downside is you have to wait for the "flash" sale. There will be one tonight at 9 central time(US).

Sammaul

Aug 16, 2014
Why don't you guys try the Asus Zenpower. I bought it with my phone for a package deal and looks very solid! Small too.. though its heavy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone2/accessories/zenpower-asus-powerbank-t3121449

I looked at getting one....however Asus wanted to charge $14 for ground shipping....ordered the Mi Power bank earlier....and they charged $5 to ship. With stock in the US, there is no way Asus should be charging that much for ground....Express shouldn't cost that much! Also....I wanted the Mi Band lol

MashedBrotato

May 31, 2015
Park City, UT
I ended up ordering two of the 13000 mAh and one 6400 mAh backup, all from Anker. They were all Amazon Prime so I got free fast shipping, and they offer their version of Quick Charge so it should be a solid option for me. I'll update with my experience after I've had them for a bit if anyone cares.

thedisturbedone

Nov 5, 2011
I looked at getting one....however Asus wanted to charge $14 for ground shipping....ordered the Mi Power bank earlier....and they charged $5 to ship. With stock in the US, there is no way Asus should be charging that much for ground....Express shouldn't cost that much! Also....I wanted the Mi Band lol

Oh I am sorry to hear that man. Did you check eBay? Coz i got mine with the phone. If i deduct the phone price, the zenpower was only $10 plus shipping was free coz it was with the phone anyway. Mi is equally good. I am done with massive brands such as Samsung.. we mostly end up paying for their advertising, marketing and brand name.