[Q] Best Radio - Samsung Galaxy S - Optus (Australia)

Search This thread

andrewbat

Nov 27, 2008
Melbourne
Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S I9000

I am in Australia on the Optus network.

Can someone please advice of the best radio to use?

All my specs are in my signature.

How can i tell what I have and if there is a better radio how do i update it?

Thanks

Ivegottheskill

Aug 24, 2010
It's pretty difficult to quantitatively measure modem performance with the SGS. Unfortunately, most posts you would get about this will be highly subjective. I'm with Optus in Sydney and in my tests, I've found that the JVE modem is really good. Low battery consumption, fairly reliable 3G connection and fast GPS.

Others have reported JL2 is the fastest for 3G speeds, others still claim JPE gives the best reception. I've tried both and they're both good, I have no major complaints about either of them. Most recently I tried JQ1 and found the GPS really quick and accurate. 3G seemed to be quick and reliable, but I think signal strength reported wasn't as strong as some other modems. Battery life seemed good, but I think JVE was slightly better (possibly due to signal strength?)

Just test and compare for yourself. My shortlist would be:
JVE, JPE, JQ1, JPY, JL2

Further to that list, JPG seemed good, but it used to report my GPS position inaccurately when I briefly trialled it.

Today I had major trouble with JQ1 getting to download anything from the web, so switched to JVE and had some similar trouble. I'm guessing it's the network in my area. I might try JL2 again, as it's been a while and Whirlpool users report it as one of the fastest for download/upload speeds on the Virgin/Optus network, but I don't want to sacrifice GPS performance either. JL2 is a little older though and I've favoured sticking to more recent modems because I figure that Samsung are likely to improve battery consumption/reception/reliability rather than go backwards (although, never say never...)

Does that help?

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck82

andrewbat

Nov 27, 2008
Melbourne
Radio - Samsung Galaxy S I9000

Thanks for the reply...

It has helped a little but still am unclear.

How do I flash just the radio?

Where do i find it to flash it?

I find connectivity to be pretty good, but battery life sucks....

I also find that my current rom doesn't like even making calls in 2G, when 3G is not available...

Any thoughts...please

It's pretty difficult to quantitatively measure modem performance with the SGS. Unfortunately, most posts you would get about this will be highly subjective. I'm with Optus in Sydney and in my tests, I've found that the JVE modem is really good. Low battery consumption, fairly reliable 3G connection and fast GPS.

Others have reported JL2 is the fastest for 3G speeds, others still claim JPE gives the best reception. I've tried both and they're both good, I have no major complaints about either of them. Most recently I tried JQ1 and found the GPS really quick and accurate. 3G seemed to be quick and reliable, but I think signal strength reported wasn't as strong as some other modems. Battery life seemed good, but I think JVE was slightly better (possibly due to signal strength?)

JVE, JPE, JQ1, JPY, JL2

Further to that list, JPG seemed good, but it used to report my GPS position inaccurately when I briefly trialled it.

Today I had major trouble with JQ1 getting to download anything from the web, so switched to JVE and had some similar trouble. I'm guessing it's the network in my area. I might try JL2 again, as it's been a while and Whirlpool users report it as one of the fastest for download/upload speeds on the Virgin/Optus network, but I don't want to sacrifice GPS performance either. JL2 is a little older though and I've favoured sticking to more recent modems because I figure that Samsung are likely to improve battery consumption/reception/reliability rather than go backwards (although, never say never...)

Does that help?

MPKO

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks for the reply...

It has helped a little but still am unclear.

How do I flash just the radio?

Where do i find it to flash it?

I find connectivity to be pretty good, but battery life sucks....

I also find that my current rom doesn't like even making calls in 2G, when 3G is not available...

Any thoughts...please

This is not related directly to your topic, but do you know what is the latest official stock firmware and modem used in Optus network ?
Cheers

canuck82

Dec 12, 2010
Brisbane
TPG (optus) in Brisbane

JVE, JPE, JQ1, JPY, JL2

Does that help?

Wondering if you have any further suggestions of modems on ICS accessing the Optus network?

I'm currently running JVT after switching from JW4 - JW4 was good for battery but the call quality and GPS were poor. Too early for me to comment on JVT but I'm looking for suggestions of what modem to try next if this one doesn't make the grade...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

JVE, JPE, JQ1, JPY, JL2

Does that help?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone