[Q][BONITO] Descendant X - android ver. 10r32

Search This thread

johngalt1

Jan 23, 2016
Title.png

Descendant is a customised Android ROM that focuses on enhancing UX and UI
over stock Android along useful features.

Downloads
Head to the download page. Download the zip and *-boot.img for your device.

Sources
Githubhttps://github.com/Descendant-Devices

Guide.png

Backup internal storage, wiping data will delete everything.

Reboot to fastboot and flash the provided boot.img with the following commands:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash boot /path/to/*-boot.img

Reboot into recovery using volume and power buttons and select "Apply update from ADB," then:

Code:
adb sideload /path/to/rom.zip

In recovery before rebooting, make sure to factory reset/wipe data on first install. No wipes are needed between updates from Descendant itself, unless specified.
Reboot into the system and you should be good.

But please, mind, we won't support any issue arising from Magisk nor relative modules.

Features.png

Listing all the additions would be a huge wall of text, that you wouldn't even read.
So, head over the Telegram group and feel free to lurk.

Preloaded applications
Google Apps are included.

Bugs.png

Having a bug or not booting for whatever reason?
Look for "How to report bugs" on this post.
Bug reports without logs will be ignored.

Credits.png

@phhusson | @Letzen | @krule031 | @ezio84 | @linuxct

Android OS version: 10.0.0_r32
Security patch level: March

XDA:DevDB Information
Descendant X, ROM for the Google Pixel 3a XL

Contributors
johngalt1, Dil3mm4
ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2020-03-09
Last Updated 2020-03-11

Last edited:

crypto69

Dec 29, 2011
Magisk Question

Hello. First of all, great ROM, thank you for putting it together and supporting our device! I just picked up the Pixel 3a XL and am getting it configured with my first custom ROM. I installed it this morning and it seems to be working great.

I have a question about Magisk and how to use it with a custom ROM. While I have been using custom ROMs for years on my devices, this is my first attempt to use Magisk on a Android 10 device with the new partition system (without TWRP). I followed the basic instructions for Magisk and was able to get it working on the latest stock ROM but I am unsure whether I need to patch (from Magisk) the included Boot.img file that comes with Descendant or do something else. I tried patching it but when I rebooted after installing via the bootloader, the Magisk app is saying its not installed. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks again for the great build.

Reactions: johngalt1

johngalt1

Jan 23, 2016
Hello. First of all, great ROM, thank you for putting it together and supporting our device! I just picked up the Pixel 3a XL and am getting it configured with my first custom ROM. I installed it this morning and it seems to be working great.

I have a question about Magisk and how to use it with a custom ROM. While I have been using custom ROMs for years on my devices, this is my first attempt to use Magisk on a Android 10 device with the new partition system (without TWRP). I followed the basic instructions for Magisk and was able to get it working on the latest stock ROM but I am unsure whether I need to patch (from Magisk) the included Boot.img file that comes with Descendant or do something else. I tried patching it but when I rebooted after installing via the bootloader, the Magisk app is saying its not installed. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks again for the great build.

Myself and most others have done it the same way you have: manually patch the downloaded boot image in magisk manager after setup, reboot to bootloader, fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img.

I'd recommend trying to patch and flash magisk_patched.img again from the boot image you downloaded.

crypto69

Dec 29, 2011
Myself and most others have done it the same way you have: manually patch the downloaded boot image in magisk manager after setup, reboot to bootloader, fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img.

I'd recommend trying to patch and flash magisk_patched.img again from the boot image you downloaded.

Thank you. Working now. Turns out, I was flashing to the wrong slot...still learning :)

crypto69

Dec 29, 2011
That's great! For the future, try pretending like slots don't exist and just doing fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img rather than specifying a slot :good:

Yeah, the odd thing is, at least so far, I've been getting "FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)" when not specifying a slot during a flash. So I use GETVAR to figure out where I'm supposed to go and flash there.

stompysan

Feb 1, 2011
Yeah, the odd thing is, at least so far, I've been getting "FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)" when not specifying a slot during a flash. So I use GETVAR to figure out where I'm supposed to go and flash there.

Update your platform-tools. This is likely due to the change they made a while back to how specifying a partition is handled in fastboot.

Reactions: crypto69

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Title.png

Descendant is a customised Android ROM that focuses on enhancing UX and UI
    over stock Android along useful features.

Downloads
    Head to the download page. Download the zip and *-boot.img for your device.

Sources
    Githubhttps://github.com/Descendant-Devices

Guide.png

Backup internal storage, wiping data will delete everything.

Reboot to fastboot and flash the provided boot.img with the following commands:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/*-boot.img

Reboot into recovery using volume and power buttons and select "Apply update from ADB," then:

Code:
    adb sideload /path/to/rom.zip

In recovery before rebooting, make sure to factory reset/wipe data on first install. No wipes are needed between updates from Descendant itself, unless specified.
    Reboot into the system and you should be good.

But please, mind, we won't support any issue arising from Magisk nor relative modules.

Features.png

Listing all the additions would be a huge wall of text, that you wouldn't even read.
    So, head over the Telegram group and feel free to lurk.

Preloaded applications
    Google Apps are included.

Bugs.png

Having a bug or not booting for whatever reason?
    Look for "How to report bugs" on this post.
    Bug reports without logs will be ignored.

Credits.png

@phhusson | @Letzen | @krule031 | @ezio84 | @linuxct

Android OS version: 10.0.0_r32
    Security patch level: March

XDA:DevDB Information
    Descendant X, ROM for the Google Pixel 3a XL

Contributors
    johngalt1, Dil3mm4
    ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2020-03-09
    Last Updated 2020-03-11
    Magisk Question

Update your platform-tools. This is likely due to the change they made a while back to how specifying a partition is handled in fastboot.