• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Boot Loop after 4.2.1 Update

Search This thread

mdemons12

Apr 11, 2012
Melbourne
So it seems I have done it again, got into a pickle with my Galaxy S3. So here is what I did. I updated the device using Odin to the latest leak of 4.2.1 and I was playing around in the settings and I think I was fiddling with the mimic duplicate screen and set the resolution to 1080p, its a new setting in the developer options of 4.2.1. After that is froze and went into boot loop. I have tried re installing the firmware, no resolution. I also tried a cache wipe, nothing. So I then though I would download and install my original 4.1.2 firmware, XEF, but that said it would take a day to download. So now I am wondering what my options are, I will do anything to not have to factory reset this because it is just a huge pain in the bum and I really should learn by now not to play with firmware, cos every time I muck it all up. Oh and also my custom binary count is now at 1, even though I installed official firmware through Odin.

Thanks and sorry for asking another question, I feel like I just ask them and never answer any :(

drew071

Jul 27, 2010
So it seems I have done it again, got into a pickle with my Galaxy S3. So here is what I did. I updated the device using Odin to the latest leak of 4.2.1 and I was playing around in the settings and I think I was fiddling with the mimic duplicate screen and set the resolution to 1080p, its a new setting in the developer options of 4.2.1. After that is froze and went into boot loop. I have tried re installing the firmware, no resolution. I also tried a cache wipe, nothing. So I then though I would download and install my original 4.1.2 firmware, XEF, but that said it would take a day to download. So now I am wondering what my options are, I will do anything to not have to factory reset this because it is just a huge pain in the bum and I really should learn by now not to play with firmware, cos every time I muck it all up. Oh and also my custom binary count is now at 1, even though I installed official firmware through Odin.

Thanks and sorry for asking another question, I feel like I just ask them and never answer any :(

Go into recovery and factory reset your device.

drew071

msri3here

Aug 27, 2010
Pune
Factory reset and your counter should be fine too

I have installed 4.2.1 over XXELLA (4.1.2, which was rooted), and then did a factory reset

Now, even if the phone is rooted, my system status is official and binary counter is 0.

counter was 1 in XXELLA btw and would not go back to 0 even after using Triangle Away.

Reactions: mdemons12

mdemons12

Apr 11, 2012
Melbourne

I have installed 4.2.1 over XXELLA (4.1.2, which was rooted), and then did a factory reset

Now, even if the phone is rooted, my system status is official and binary counter is 0.

counter was 1 in XXELLA btw and would not go back to 0 even after using Triangle Away.

Alright thanks for the reply I will be sure to try that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So that is going to be the only way? I need to go through install everything again? Would it possibly work if I installed the 4.1.2 firmware and then did a cache wipe.

if you downgrade the firmware you will probably have to wipe anyway do clear the system.

I think the easiest way to to factory reset in recovery.

drew071