[Q] Bricked Nexus 5 doesn't boot + no access adb/fastboot/recovery (corup. bootload)

Search This thread

daniel.kusy

Nov 12, 2013
Apparently yes, I'm not the only one. It would be great if you try to explain your solution!

Hey Flayks, yeah looks like catpunt beat me to it! Summarising the steps I took to fix my phone:
1.) With the wall charger socket plugged into the phone, hold both volume buttons and power button simultaniously for around 15 second
2.) This seems to boot you into some sort of bootloader state, from there use fastboot to oem unlock/lock and flash stock images *developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead*. I used the "Flash all" bat file to restore everything to stock.
3.) Result. reboot and should have a fresh new stock image.

Just to note, I couldn't actually manage to get fastboot to work when I first got into the bootloader state, if something similar does happen to you I'd advise navigating to start in the bootloader (which boots into the android OS installed) then downloading the "BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices". maybe a coincidence but after locking the bootloader, then unlocking it with "fastboot oem unlock" fastboot started working:L anyway I hope this helps anyone in the same position I was in, hit thanks if this helped at all:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Komeyl_zero

flks

Feb 13, 2012
Hey Flayks, yeah looks like catpunt beat me to it! Summarising the steps I took to fix my phone:
1.) With the wall charger socket plugged into the phone, hold both volume buttons and power button simultaniously for around 15 second
2.) This seems to boot you into some sort of bootloader state, from there use fastboot to oem unlock/lock and flash stock images *developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead*. I used the "Flash all" bat file to restore everything to stock.
3.) Result. reboot and should have a fresh new stock image.

Just to note, I couldn't actually manage to get fastboot to work when I first got into the bootloader state, if something similar does happen to you I'd advise navigating to start in the bootloader (which boots into the android OS installed) then downloading the "BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices". maybe a coincidence but after locking the bootloader, then unlocking it with "fastboot oem unlock" fastboot started working:L anyway I hope this helps anyone in the same position I was in, hit thanks if this helped at all:)

No issue, I can't go in Download mode neither with the 15-seconds-all-buttons trick. I really think it's dead.

ronakg

Jan 1, 2011
I thought I was the only one with a bricked Nexus 5. However mine was absolutely stock, not rooted and untouched bootloader. Had reported the same to Google day before yesterday and got my replacement Nexus 5 delivered today.

xdafalter

Aug 5, 2009
Dudes, I got the same problem today, but it seems to be fixed now. Just ADBing back everything in twrp-recovery and then will try to restore nandroid. Hopefully everything will be as before, as I just made a nandroid bevore it bricked.

It took me a while to get into bootloader. My solution was:
Vol-Down + Power for 15s
Vol-Up + Power for 15s
Vol-Up + Down + Power for 15s... yes, bootloaderscreen. If you won't get here, try charging it for an hour on AC, not USB-port, and start again from the start holding the buttons.

Enter recovery (twrp!), to backup all data or skip this step.
run "adb pull /sdcard/ your-folder" to get all data still on the device.

Try entering bootloader again; might start pushing buttons again as above.
re-lock and unlock bootloader again with "fastboot oem (un)lock"
run flash_all from factory images

Now it should automatically boot the stock OS.

Now install twrp again, as done the first time, and erase userdata, just to be sure:
"fastboot format userdata"

Go to recovery and ADB back your data:
"adb push your-folder /sdcard/"... thats what I'm doing right now.
Since it bootet again with stock image i guess after nandroid restore all will be back to how it was this afternoon.

Synyster06Gates

Jan 17, 2011
Leander, Texas
Personally from my own experience, as the disclaimer on the bootloader unlock screen states 'This MAY void your warranty', telling Google the truth would be his best bet. Call Google, advise that the bootloader was unlocked and worked for 3 days and then it suddenly stopped booting.

If you bought a Nexus 5 and don't plan to do anything to it then that's up to you. However some of us buy Nexus devices because of the ease of development on them. Google facilitate this with the ability to unlock the bootloader and have no justifiable reason to refuse an RMA when all the OP has done is unlock said bootloader.

Why don't YOU stop being a **** and get off this thread. Please.

Not trying to start an argument here, but he unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone using CF autoroot. Aside from the small number of phones that had issues out of the gate, just about ALL of the bricked devices I've seen came from "newbies" using CF Autoroot (or other tools, not stating that CF's tool did it). Simply put, he voided the warranty. He didn't JUST unlock the bootloader. Gaining access to root instantly voids warranty IIRC.

xdafalter

Aug 5, 2009
just to let you know, all is like a few hour ago, nandroid restore worked after the procedure, will have a good night sleep :laugh:
Gaining access to root instantly voids warranty IIRC.
No it does not, damaging your device does. In this case it is negligible if you did it with the rights SU gave you or if you just accidentally put it in the washing machine. As long as the manufacturer can't proof that you damaged it, your warranty is still in play.
Since also stock devices had the sudden death and the rooted ones didn't do anything that could brick the phone in that peticular moment, there is no need for a guilty conscience. Don't let s.o. tell you otherwise.

Synyster06Gates

Jan 17, 2011
Leander, Texas
just to let you know, all is like a few hour ago, nandroid restore worked after the procedure, will have a good night sleep :laugh:

No it does not, damaging your device does. In this case it is negligible if you did it with the rights SU gave you or if you just accidentally put it in the washing machine. As long as the manufacturer can't proof that you damaged it, your warranty is still in play.
Since also stock devices had the sudden death and the rooted ones didn't do anything that could brick the phone in that peticular moment, there is no need for a guilty conscience. Don't let s.o. tell you otherwise.

According to the sticky at the top of the subforum, it does.

Understanding the Android world before rooting your LG Nexus 5

-Rooting will void your warranty (Although reverting root is very easy)
-The process a bit dangerous. Something could (99.9% probably not, but still) go wrong, and end up bricking your phone. So, yes, the process is 0.1% risky. You can end up deleting everything on your phone. You'll have to handle this process gently and with care.
-You will be able to do a lot more mistakes. These may cause damage to your phone (But hey, that's why we have these kind of threads, eh?)
-No more over the air official updates. You'll have to update your phone manually, through your recovery. (Which isn't that hard)

Now that you fully know what rooting implies, let's continue exploring the Android world.

Now please proceed to the next post​

xdafalter

Aug 5, 2009
According to the sticky at the top of the subforum, it does.
Simply not true. Don't believe everything you can read in the papers :p
Good that you read the stickies though, but this is just to intimidate noobs...
Note: my statement is based on German / EU laws, other counties might differ. Also I'm not a lawer, so this is not a legal advice. Everyone has to check local laws and ones conscience on their own. :angel:

ppkhoa

Jan 4, 2011
Auburn, WA
I just had this problem, very panic! Similar problem, but before it got bricked, I installed the TouchControl kernel, to use the doubletap2wake. I tried bootloader mode, what shown up in device manager is a new USB device with status "The USB device failed to start", getting into download mode: it install new broadcom driver, too fast too read the whole thing.

How I boot up again: Plug in the charger, instead of PC, press and hold power button for 8-9 seconds, no idea what happened but my phone boot up again. Reboot again, stuck again, apply same method, this time I just go straight to bootloader and reflash everything. That's very scary moment, thinking about RMA...

whisky_

Feb 22, 2006
Peshawar
www.evilpeshawar.com
I just brought my phone from the dead thanks to a little bit of trying and a bundle of help from God. Thank faith lol.

1. Plug phone into wall charger and hold power button down for 15 seconds.

2. Unplug phone.

3. Hold Volume up+Volume down+Power button for a couple of seconds till it boots back to the bootloader.

It may not do this at the first try so you might have to keep on holding just the Power button for a while and then doing step 3 again.

Try try again and hopefully you'll be fine. I just paid approximately $485 USD for Nexus 5 just a few hours ago and I don't get any kind of warranty or replacement. I was scared lol.

Best of luck.

Dec 27, 2013
i just brought my phone from the dead thanks to a little bit of trying and a bundle of help from god. Thank faith lol.

2. Unplug phone.

3. Hold volume up+volume down+power button for a couple of seconds till it boots back to the bootloader.

It may not do this at the first try so you might have to keep on holding just the power button for a while and then doing step 3 again.

Try try again and hopefully you'll be fine. I just paid approximately $485 usd for nexus 5 just a few hours ago and i don't get any kind of warranty or replacement. I was scared lol.

Best of luck.

thaaaaaaaank you man you unbricked my nexus 5 thank you so much!!

Web_E

Sep 8, 2012
Bangalore / Kolkata
This morning my alarm didn't ring.. same problem. Could not boot using any method.. contacted for RMA. Don't know what will happen as it is with unlocked bootloader. stock room, franko kernel with stock settings. :(

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the link. I just borked my phone when i was trying to enable wireless tethering on sprint, I couldn't even boot into recovery. Just when my hopes were up for a reason to buy the new red one i finally found this thread with instructions to restoring from the fastboot screen. So thanks i didnt really want the red anyway.
I just kidding, thanks really i was actually a little worried when it wouldn't boot into recovery mode.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks for the link. I just borked my phone when i was trying to enable wireless tethering on sprint, I couldn't even boot into recovery. Just when my hopes were up for a reason to buy the new red one i finally found this thread with instructions to restoring from the fastboot screen. So thanks i didnt really want the red anyway.
I just kidding, thanks really i was actually a little worried when it wouldn't boot into recovery mode.

If you follow this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47156064 I bet there is a way to restore your phone without losing everything on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

May 13, 2013
hi i bricked my phone tonight same thing installing a new kernel through twrp and it is stuck at black screen wont reset after holding any of the buttons pc wont recognize it nothing notta i am going crazy here someone help device manager in win7 shows qhsusb_bulk phone will not do a dam thing now

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
hi i bricked my phone tonight same thing installing a new kernel through twrp and it is stuck at black screen wont reset after holding any of the buttons pc wont recognize it nothing notta i am going crazy here someone help device manager in win7 shows qhsusb_bulk phone will not do a dam thing now

Can you access recovery? Wipe data/cache/dalvic and then Flash the rom.zip and gapps.zip again and reboot. If you still can't boot then try going back to stock (look at the General stickies for full procedure)..

However, the qhsusb_bulk doesn't look good. It's most probably a brick (Emmc failure).

Reactions: prateek.htc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just brought my phone from the dead thanks to a little bit of trying and a bundle of help from God. Thank faith lol.

2. Unplug phone.

3. Hold Volume up+Volume down+Power button for a couple of seconds till it boots back to the bootloader.

It may not do this at the first try so you might have to keep on holding just the Power button for a while and then doing step 3 again.

Try try again and hopefully you'll be fine. I just paid approximately $485 USD for Nexus 5 just a few hours ago and I don't get any kind of warranty or replacement. I was scared lol.

Best of luck.
    I feel for you that your phone isn't working. Fraud isnt the answer. do you HONESTLY feel you'd get the same answer from Google if you told them that you rooted/unlocked and now your phone isn't working?

just saying that those who f up and make everyone pay for it are wrong. I personally like paying 400 for the 32gb device. I'd rather not pay 500 because of people who mess up and now make the cost/device go up due to rma's that are not legit.

Code:
    The issuance of an RMA/RGA is a key gatekeeping moment in the reverse logistics cycle, providing the vendor with a final opportunity to diagnose and correct the customer's problem with the product (such as improper installation or configuration) before it is returned. As returns are costly for the vendor and inconvenient for the customer, any return that can be prevented benefits both parties.

Personally from my own experience, as the disclaimer on the bootloader unlock screen states 'This MAY void your warranty', telling Google the truth would be his best bet. Call Google, advise that the bootloader was unlocked and worked for 3 days and then it suddenly stopped booting.

If you bought a Nexus 5 and don't plan to do anything to it then that's up to you. However some of us buy Nexus devices because of the ease of development on them. Google facilitate this with the ability to unlock the bootloader and have no justifiable reason to refuse an RMA when all the OP has done is unlock said bootloader.

Why don't YOU stop being a **** and get off this thread. Please.
    Dude you need to chill a little. Unlocking your bootloader does not completely null warranty. If you brick your phone via software then you are responsible.
    By the sounds of what is happening with the op, he has not changed anything to end up in this predicament. As with the other purple with similar problems (unlocking bootloader resulting in brick) can hardly be pointed at them.
    Clearly something is happening which is out of user control which is causing these bricks.
    If the ROM fails to boot it will throw you back to the bootloader.
    If the bootloader fails you have a brick (not 100% true but not going into that now)
    The facts are that the op has unlocked the bootloader which is a legitimate task and has for unknown reasons ended up with a corrupt bootloader.
    This should still be covered as the op has not fine anything to solicit what had happened.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
    So this is what happened...my nexus 5 was running cm11s rom with no extra kernels or anything. I was browsing the net for some extra modifications and I installed a volume booster and something named like "Medusa AIO script" http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2775943 and my phone wasn't responding as gud asit was doing. I rebooted, everything started working fine and when the phone was on standby for sometime it again started laging . So what i did was i rebooted into recovery and installed my previously backed up android l developer preview file. Since then the phone is stuck in bootloop and the CWM recovery is also gone. I tried to install CWM recovery again by using adb. The device gets into fastboot mode but the computer isnt recognising it. As long as i remember the USB debugging option was disabled. I am sick worried I have tried everything. I tried to update the drivers. I tried to flash again cm11s. But the device isnt getting found in the adb. Please help. I have tried this alsohttp://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/tool-06-03-14-one-click-factory-restore-t2513937 but the screen is stuck on <waiting for device>. I dont care if i have to wipe the whole device. I backed up everything before.:(:(

1. ADB isn't used in bootloader
    2. Fastboot is used in bootloader
    3. USB Debugging is relevant ONLY in Android, NOT bootloader or recovery
    4. Everything you need is in the first link of my signature