• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Broken digitizer, need to enable USB debugging..image with ADB enabled?

Search This thread

pr3cision

Sep 21, 2007
Digitizer is broken, but I can see the screen. I need to enable debugging but I have absolutely no touch response.
I know that debugging is enabled in a custom recovery but I need it to be enabled on the os level. Is there a ROM that has USB debugging enabled by default? A backup image of a stock image with usb debugging enable would work too. (I am not trying to enable MTP or pull data, I am trying to establish adb and lunch a program with os running"

I have tried enabling it via terminal in recovery but its not working; I can't seem to find the path to change the value.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: TWeaKoR

frankyredz

Mar 25, 2013
I actually have the same exact issue. The screen is smashed to hell, but it still turns on and off. I still get calls, texts, and all other notifications...but the touch screen is totally unresponsive and I can't get to my files through my computer because I can't unlock the phone. If there's anyway around this, I'd much appreciate the help too.

Thanks.

pr3cision

Sep 21, 2007
I actually have the same exact issue. The screen is smashed to hell, but it still turns on and off. I still get calls, texts, and all other notifications...but the touch screen is totally unresponsive and I can't get to my files through my computer because I can't unlock the phone. If there's anyway around this, I'd much appreciate the help too.

Thanks.

well your problem is easy...well easier.
unlock the bootloader flash a custom recovery (cwm) you can enable SD card via the recovery and move your files using MTP. search the forum for "how-tos"

Last edited:

pr3cision

Sep 21, 2007
Why not use a mouse or keyboard?
no native OTG, Enabled debugging ROM would solve my problem much easier

I actually stumbled upon this but only saw the first part. and had the same problem where the value would not stick. Didn't see the second part; will try. Still, a rom that has debugging enabled would be ideal and is originally what I asked for in the op. Nevertheless, thank you.

No otg without external power*

Better?

LOL. this.

Last edited:
Reactions: TWeaKoR

pr3cision

Sep 21, 2007
Bump. None of the above has worked. Is there a ROM that adb is enabled by default? CM?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

SoulGraver

Sep 9, 2013
Thread Necromancer requires assistance!

Thanks.

Sorry for dredging up a dead post from ages long forgotten, but I was hoping to find some semblance of help here.
I am fully aware of the fact that this is for the Nexus 4, but I'm optimistic in my approach to find answers regarding the absolutely decimated screen and digitizer of my (otherwise undamaged) AT&T Exhilarate (i577) android.
It'll be about a week before I can get in to get them replaced, so I was hoping to at least read the texts that I've since received or scavenge my contacts via [email protected] due to situational intensity ((family member health issues)My Google account does not hold this information), and I've followed all of the setup walk through found here: droid-at-screen.ribomation..com/installation/

My issue now is that I cannot load my device from the [email protected] application, presumably caused by a severe lack of USB debugging enabling.
My phone is not rooted or modded in the least.
Is there any hope for me?
Thanks in advance!~

dabyd64

Jan 14, 2012
A Coruna
I was in the same situation with a HTC Sensation.
I had to S-OFF to get superCID and get the screen calibration to work.
But juopunutbear required to be in normal mode and ADB enabled. I finally get it working by installing CWM recovery, which has ADB, and enable the adb debugging.
adb shell
mount -a
(if the following two commands show error "file doesn't exist", don't worry, it's ok!)
rm /data/property/persist.service.adb.enable
rm /data/property/persist.sys.usb.config

echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >>/system/build.prop
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >>/system/build.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage,adb" >>/system/build.prop"
/system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update global set value='1' where name='adb_enabled'";
/system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update global set value='1' where name='development_settings_enabled'";
sync
reboot

If the sqlite3 command shows error (command not found) then your phone doesn't have sqlite3 installed.
Still, you can do it!
First extract settings.db:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
Copy that file to a usb drive or whatever.
Now you need linux. It's ok to use a live Ubuntu DVD, but you need to be connected to internet.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
I recommend to use the 32bit version for compatibility.
Usually sqlite3 is not installed by default.
In ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install sqlite3
You will be asked for the root password!

Now we can edit the settings.db:
sudo sqlite3 /path_to_your_folder/settings.db
update global set value='1' where name='adb_enabled';
update global set value='1' where name='development_settings_enabled';
.exit
Now we have the settings.db changed and ready!
Copy that settings.db again to a pen drive or whatever, go back to windows or keep in linux if you already have a working ADB.
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/
adb shell "chown system.system /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db"
adb shell "chmod 644 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db"
sync
reboot

Done! ADB should work when in starts.
I had to use "mass_storage,adb" because "mtp,adb" or just "adb" didn't work. Thought, the phone was not working in mass storage, but who cares! ADB was!:D

Reactions: fiox and dogmatism

dogmatism

Dec 20, 2006
thanks @dabyd64 , i was in a similar situation of dealing with an htc evita, basically a corrupted rom made the display useless, so had to enable debugging via recovery, I used twrp. And its enabled now.

dlaciv12

Apr 25, 2010
Brockton, MA
Wow, I'm working with something old... My old Nexus 7 2013 is having touch screen problems so I tried the sqlite3 option. The commands executed fine but now I'm in a boot loop. It's been booting for twenty minutes. Any advice?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was in the same situation with a HTC Sensation.
    I had to S-OFF to get superCID and get the screen calibration to work.
    But juopunutbear required to be in normal mode and ADB enabled. I finally get it working by installing CWM recovery, which has ADB, and enable the adb debugging.
    adb shell
    mount -a
    (if the following two commands show error "file doesn't exist", don't worry, it's ok!)
    rm /data/property/persist.service.adb.enable
    rm /data/property/persist.sys.usb.config

echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >>/system/build.prop
    echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >>/system/build.prop
    echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage,adb" >>/system/build.prop"
    /system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update global set value='1' where name='adb_enabled'";
    /system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update global set value='1' where name='development_settings_enabled'";
    sync
    reboot

If the sqlite3 command shows error (command not found) then your phone doesn't have sqlite3 installed.
    Still, you can do it!
    First extract settings.db:
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    Copy that file to a usb drive or whatever.
    Now you need linux. It's ok to use a live Ubuntu DVD, but you need to be connected to internet.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    I recommend to use the 32bit version for compatibility.
    Usually sqlite3 is not installed by default.
    In ubuntu:
    sudo apt-get install sqlite3
    You will be asked for the root password!

Now we can edit the settings.db:
    sudo sqlite3 /path_to_your_folder/settings.db
    update global set value='1' where name='adb_enabled';
    update global set value='1' where name='development_settings_enabled';
    .exit
    Now we have the settings.db changed and ready!
    Copy that settings.db again to a pen drive or whatever, go back to windows or keep in linux if you already have a working ADB.
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/
    adb shell "chown system.system /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db"
    adb shell "chmod 644 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db"
    sync
    reboot

Done! ADB should work when in starts.
    I had to use "mass_storage,adb" because "mtp,adb" or just "adb" didn't work. Thought, the phone was not working in mass storage, but who cares! ADB was!:D
    Digitizer is broken, but I can see the screen. I need to enable debugging but I have absolutely no touch response.
    I know that debugging is enabled in a custom recovery but I need it to be enabled on the os level. Is there a ROM that has USB debugging enabled by default? A backup image of a stock image with usb debugging enable would work too. (I am not trying to enable MTP or pull data, I am trying to establish adb and lunch a program with os running"

I have tried enabling it via terminal in recovery but its not working; I can't seem to find the path to change the value.

Thanks in advance.

No otg and you need your screen to setup a Bluetooth connection, right?
    no native OTG, Enabled debugging ROM would solve my problem much easier

I actually stumbled upon this but only saw the first part. and had the same problem where the value would not stick. Didn't see the second part; will try. Still, a rom that has debugging enabled would be ideal and is originally what I asked for in the op. Nevertheless, thank you.

No otg without external power*

Better?

LOL. this.