• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Building ROMs

Search This thread

jdurand976

Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Fellow Members

Just wanted to get some advice or material that I can read, in regards to building ROM and compiling. Maybe a few websites that you would recommend? I have been a long time lurker and finally wanting to start trying some dev work for our gtablet community. Any input would help significantly:D

Thanks,

enigma0456

Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for asking

I too am very curious and I wonder how the current devs learned how to do what they do. I hope someone answers this question so those of us that are curious can find a place to start poking around a bit.

TJEvans

Apr 13, 2011
I can only assume (since I'm just as clueless) that it requires knowledge of linux programming, or at least, how linux files are set up.

A lot of roms are ports of other roms, or stock firmware. For instance, VEGAn 5.1.1 is a port of the Advent Vega firmware. The Vega, and Notion Ink Adam are all tablets with the same, or mostly similar hardware as the G-Tablet. If one can get their hands on the firmware for those, then tweaks and adjustments can be made to make it work on the G-Tablet. That's what's heppening with the HC ports right now. They are not originating with Roebeet, Linuxbossolutions, et al. They are ports of the roms based on the work being done with the Vega, Acer, and Asus tablets...

REally all that is needed is the source code for the rom you're thinking of emulating, then the knowledge of where to look for the files that need altered to make it functional on the device you want it on.

That's the beauty of the G-Tablet, it's relative unbrickableness (is that a word, well, it is now) Once you have a rom, you can open revise it to your heart's content, NVFlash it to your device and see if it works, if it doesn't, change somethign else, change it back, edit this, edit that, reflash it and see what happens. The HC roms are all in Alpha mode right now because they need tested. A developer can only do so much in testing...having 50 people testing a rom, for an hour each is a lot better than testing it yourself for 50 hours.

I was able to find a few "how to" books for creating android .apk files, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a source for reading how to hack, edit, and revise android firmware source.

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
If you are wanting to build from source, Google "how to build AOSP" or such.

You'll also have to look towards cyanogenmod for some tips and/or at least forking the repository they have for the gtablet device.

You pull the source code to Android down to your linux workstation (or linux running in a virtual box) and you have to add in the source repo for your device as well as fork off the repo's you plan to edit.

I went through this around this time last year. Froyo was coming out in leaks for the original Motorola Droid and I wanted to learn how to compile the AOSP that Google/Android provides (Android Open Source Project).

It was a difficult learning experience because no one wanted to share any information except Cyanogenmod Team and I was trying to build as straight AOSP as possible.

To really do it right.......

Setup a Linux workstation (or virtual, I did it this way).

Learn as much as you can about git and github.com (learn about forking, creating repos, syncing, editing and pushing your edits, etc..).

Be prepared to spend many hours/days/weeks/months editing, re-editing, reverting and cussing as you run successful "makes" against your source only to have it lock your device.

I eventually wrote a guide on how to build for AOSP but it is tailored to the motorola droid. Most of the steps are identical though you would need the device repo for the gtablet (smb_a1002) instead of the Droid (sholes).

If you want a brief look at it http://android.snkbitten.com/ and look at the AOSP source building guide.

Other than that...you can take other's ROMs, open them up (on your PC), replace files, edit the framework files etc... and then repackage it. Find the pieces that work best together (in your opinion) and roll with it. Change the build.prop to have your device name, etc...

During my learning experience I borrowed a lot from cvpcs, cyanogenmod, koush and a few others. Pouring through their github accounts to see what they were doing, sometimes manually pulling in certain aspects I liked but not wanting a copy of what they were doing..... It was time consuming and some times hair pulling out frustrating!!! However...I have a ROM in ROM Manager for the original Droid that I've been running ever since.

I thought about modifying my setup to allow multiple device building and doing a Gtablet SnkBitten ROM....but just never put any effort towards it.

Reactions: Mantara

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are wanting to build from source, Google "how to build AOSP" or such.

You'll also have to look towards cyanogenmod for some tips and/or at least forking the repository they have for the gtablet device.

You pull the source code to Android down to your linux workstation (or linux running in a virtual box) and you have to add in the source repo for your device as well as fork off the repo's you plan to edit.

I went through this around this time last year. Froyo was coming out in leaks for the original Motorola Droid and I wanted to learn how to compile the AOSP that Google/Android provides (Android Open Source Project).

It was a difficult learning experience because no one wanted to share any information except Cyanogenmod Team and I was trying to build as straight AOSP as possible.

To really do it right.......

Setup a Linux workstation (or virtual, I did it this way).

Learn as much as you can about git and github.com (learn about forking, creating repos, syncing, editing and pushing your edits, etc..).

Be prepared to spend many hours/days/weeks/months editing, re-editing, reverting and cussing as you run successful "makes" against your source only to have it lock your device.

I eventually wrote a guide on how to build for AOSP but it is tailored to the motorola droid. Most of the steps are identical though you would need the device repo for the gtablet (smb_a1002) instead of the Droid (sholes).

If you want a brief look at it http://android.snkbitten.com/ and look at the AOSP source building guide.

Other than that...you can take other's ROMs, open them up (on your PC), replace files, edit the framework files etc... and then repackage it. Find the pieces that work best together (in your opinion) and roll with it. Change the build.prop to have your device name, etc...

During my learning experience I borrowed a lot from cvpcs, cyanogenmod, koush and a few others. Pouring through their github accounts to see what they were doing, sometimes manually pulling in certain aspects I liked but not wanting a copy of what they were doing..... It was time consuming and some times hair pulling out frustrating!!! However...I have a ROM in ROM Manager for the original Droid that I've been running ever since.

I thought about modifying my setup to allow multiple device building and doing a Gtablet SnkBitten ROM....but just never put any effort towards it.