[Q] Camera Flash does not work with any ROM

Darkcaptain

Jan 12, 2011
Barcelona
first, sorry for my english

Camera Flash does not work with any ROM... :(

I tried all the ROMS available ... stopped working after the Chinese ROM Froyo 2.2, But now no longer works with any ROM, or 3.4.2 UK or Roms Eclair etc...

But I can not access the Developer Forum, I've put it here ... I know there are more users having the same problem

Repeat, sorry for my english and Thanks for the Help.

Foxhound.kl

Dec 24, 2010
I have exactly the same problem. Since china 2.2 sbf and rom, every rom and firmware exhibits the flash either not working on apps, or is out of sync with a blue tinge. I've tried every combination of fixes out so far, but nothing works. Will keep trying things out and post here if I find anything.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

Reactions: Darkcaptain

Darkcaptain

Jan 12, 2011
Barcelona
I have exactly the same problem. Since china 2.2 sbf and rom, every rom and firmware exhibits the flash either not working on apps, or is out of sync with a blue tinge. I've tried every combination of fixes out so far, but nothing works. Will keep trying things out and post here if I find anything.

Yes, I saw in the other section you had the same problem .. several days trying things and more things, and ROMS of all types, but does not work any ways ... will have been spoiled by Hardware? coincidence as the Chinese Rom :(

On me, the flash does not work none time, only a very small light blue-green

If you find anything, any minor detail, let me know please.

Thanks

Last edited:

K r i ll e

Dec 17, 2010
Have the same problem. Flashed the chinese rom just a few days ago following a guide and the flash is now weak and greenish even when I'm back on my stockrom.

Whats strange is that I tried this rom following a guide several weeks ago, flashing only the 2.2 bootloader and using a nandroid backup. The flash just worked one time, so I went back to my stock rom, 2.21, again and the flash worked as before.
I think I have tried flashing the whole chinese rom and then gone back to stock with no prob before also. It was just this last time the flash stopped working as it should, no matter witch safe rom I now flash again.

I have tried the uk 2.2 with dowgradebility to get the flash working as explained by Higgsy but no go.
The only thing I can think of is that when you try to use the flash to many times when you are on the chinese froyo rom the flash gets damaged somehow.

Sent from my Defy

mimel

Oct 20, 2007
Did you guys notice that there's a black or dark yellow spot in the middle of the flash light? Many people who had this weak green light problem reported that their flash lights are like so because it's been burnt.

Foxhound.kl

Dec 24, 2010
Did you guys notice that there's a black or dark yellow spot in the middle of the flash light? Many people who had this weak green light problem reported that their flash lights are like so because it's been burnt.
Looking at the LED, there's a slighty darker yellow spot in the middle, but not that dark, just a slight shade above the outer part. Not sure if its burnt out to be honest, becasue when the flash does work, its pretty bright and lights up what i'm pointing it at, but the moment the camera captures the image, the flash is already off, so its just not in sync with the image capture. The blue/green tinge comes after the bright flash, just as it ends. Can you tell me where the burnt out LEDs are being reported mimel?

Darkcaptain

Jan 12, 2011
Barcelona
I have it all yellow, I no see black spot.

Since the Chinese Rom, did not run the Flash, no weak, no strong, not be in sync, none of this, only not work, only shows a very very small light blue-green.

I would like to see a picture of a burned Flash.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for my English.

Last edited:

mimel

Oct 20, 2007
Yours probably is not burnt and might get back to normal by flashing the latest T-Mobile or uk sbf.

A burnt flash light can flash everytime but with very weak white light and ends with green/blue. It's unrecoverable even upgraded to the latest sbf or downgraded to 2.1.

Looking at the LED, there's a slighty darker yellow spot in the middle, but not that dark, just a slight shade above the outer part. Not sure if its burnt out to be honest, becasue when the flash does work, its pretty bright and lights up what i'm pointing it at, but the moment the camera captures the image, the flash is already off, so its just not in sync with the image capture. The blue/green tinge comes after the bright flash, just as it ends. Can you tell me where the burnt out LEDs are being reported mimel?

Darkcaptain

Jan 12, 2011
Barcelona
Yours probably is not burnt and might get back to normal by flashing the latest T-Mobile or uk sbf.

A burnt flash light can flash everytime but with very weak white light and ends with green/blue. It's unrecoverable even upgraded to the latest sbf or downgraded to 2.1.

It is not my case, I have tried all the ROMS and does not work .. do not see any white light, only a very very small light blue-green.

I tried all the ROMS, I have the UK currently 3.4.2, but I also tried the T-Mobile and earlier ones, spent several days doing tests ...

vince89

Mar 6, 2009
I had the similiar trouble, only first flash and then a reboot was needed. Finally I managed to have normal flash.

What I did?

It is not just sufficient to flash another rom, but to meticulously follow a recipe. In this case I went from 2.21 Stock Rom Central Europe to 2.34 JIT Version, flash still normal. Then Chinese 2.2 ROM, flash only at first time, then reboot needed. I went back to 2.34 JIT Version, flash normal again. Then after a while when the UK 2.2 version came out, I still waited till Higgsy found out how to circumvent the flash troubles: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=934366

It is for all people who never flashed a non downgradable 2.51 UK Version.

Just follow meticulously every step in Higgsy thread. If flash is working, please inform us here we also need positive affirmation :D

Last edited:

Foxhound.kl

Dec 24, 2010
I had the similiar trouble, only first flash and then a reboot was needed. Finally I managed to have normal flash.

What I did?

It is not just sufficient to flash another rom, but to meticulously follow a recipe. In this case I went from 2.21 Stock Rom Central Europe to 2.34 JIT Version, flash still normal. Then Chinese 2.2 ROM, flash only at first time, then reboot needed. I went back to 2.34 JIT Version, flash normal again. Then after a while when the UK 2.2 version came out, I still waited till Higgsy found out how to circumvent the flash troubles: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=937319 In the meantime, this thread is altered again, from a full stock 2.2 UK version do a deblured variant but I believe it still works as a remedy for flash troubles.

It is for all people who never flashed a non downgradable 2.51 UK Version.

Just follow meticulously every step in Higgsy thread. If flash is working, please inform us here we also need positive affirmation :D
This process of Higgsys has been followed many times by myself, and I still have this flash issue. Problem is that when 2.1 firmwares are flashed via RSD Lite, the flash issue remains, and not working as usual as you and Higgsy have described. I'm going to try to uninstall the windows drivers and RSD Lite, reinstall these fresh, and then start the whole process again to see if that makes any difference.

Darkcaptain

Jan 12, 2011
Barcelona
In my case, I have the ROM 3.4.2 UK and this ROM is not "downgrade" but I followed the steps of Higgsy and I do not work, I think my case is different from yours and my Flash is Burnt ...

Thanks for you help...

bobdigby

Jan 24, 2011
I think it must be burnt as I have never used the camera flash fixes in some of the ROMS when the camera flash was dodgy and now I am higgsys 3.4.2 ROM and all is good. Cheers

Foxhound.kl

Dec 24, 2010
Ok, so I'm still facing this problem on my phone where the camera flash is either out of sync, which flashes brightly too early before image capture, and takes the picture as if no flash was on at all. This occurs on all camera apps on all ROMS installed will all methods, and the flash doesn't work at all on any flashlight apps.

After doing some research, I have found similar issues on other motorola phones, which may or may not help in this regard.

There seems to be a cutoff to the flash reported on Droid phones, either disabling or weakening the flash if the battery threshold is below 30-40%. When the phone has a higher charge than 30-40% or is plugged in to charge, this has eliminated this problem. It seems the driver to the camera flash can determine what your battery level is, despite what your phone is reading out, so if your reading is inaccurate, the flash will cutoff or weaken if below this threshold.

To solve the battery indiactor inaccuracy, follow the steps in the link below using ADB or Clockwork recovery to reset battery stats. Instead of turning off the phone when instructed, take the battery out of the phone for 10 secs and put back in for good measure;

http://androinica.com/2010/02/11/tip-how-to-fix-your-androids-battery-issues-rooted-devices/

Don't know if this will work for people with the flash problem on the Defy, but its worth a try. I haven't tested this. I will later and report back.

I was thinking about the build prop as well, as this seems to feature some lines pertaining to the flash intensity, as quoted by mflich in another post;

hi
i have a defy with 2.21_UK.And when i saw this patch i decide tu up to 2.2_Chinese.
but when i finished it the flash just worked at the first time of reboot
so i want to patch it but i can't enter the custom recovery(at that time i didn't know it's because of USB debugging)
and then i flashed 2.51_UK. but the flash didn't work too.
at this time i can only recovery 2.2 or flash 2.51 and the flash works with low intensity in green light

i noticed that the flash fix is some file in system and i can't read the file with .so
but i found that in build.prop there was some line like this:
ro.media.capture.maxres=5m
ro.media.capture.flash=led
ro.media.capture.classification=classH
ro.media.capture.flip=horizontalandvertical
ro.media.capture.flashIntensity=41
ro.media.capture.torchIntensity=25

but in the same file in 2.21 there are the only two lines:

so i guess it's because of the differents in this file my flash doesn't work

and the num 41 25 means 41% and 25%?

and what does the classification and flip mean?

with this can i make my flash work again?

sorry for my poor english
Can anyone else with flash problems see what is stated in their bulld prop lines for the flash? Maybe we can alter some values to solve our problems?

Darkcaptain

Jan 12, 2011
Barcelona
My flash dont work on today, But I dont have problems synchronizing or low light intensity, light Does Not Work, That appears on the flash is so so small That Is Not Appreciated in a dark room completely.

I think there has been "melted" FlashLED, this strange yet it seems that happened to me when I put the Chinese ROM Froyo and since then no work with any other ROM.

If I indicate that I can do tests to try to fix it, I will.

EDIT: Where are these lines? as I can watch them?

Sorry for my english!!! ... and thanks for the help!

Last edited:

ellendel

Dec 21, 2010
I have the same issue with the flash that you, Foxhound.kl. I found a temporal solution to the desync. I turn on the led with the tesla app, and then i launch the camera with the auto-flash enabled.
After the first photo the led is turned off, but the tesla app keep running in the background and some way make the flash to be sync and work properly in the other photoes.
Sry for my english.

Last edited:

Darkcaptain

Jan 12, 2011
Barcelona
Appears to me the same thing:

ro.media.capture.classification=classH
ro.media.capture.flashIntensity=41
ro.media.capture.flip=horizontalandvertical
ro.media.capture.panorama=0