[Q] Can an S-OFF Desire help any dev's? I have one now.

Search This thread

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
If it's a driver issue you might want to try this http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip Whenever I had problems with devices not being properly recognized this was the one tool that always solved the problem.
P. S. I understand you're not a noob so please ignore my suggestion if you have already tried this.

Yep, been there, done that, no help but thanks for the suggestion!

DesirableHTC

Jul 4, 2010
Leeds
It's short for security off. A hboot with s-off will allow us to flash and boot custom images trough fastboot. Fastboot can be accessed by booting the phone while holding down the back key. Hboot is the second deepest partition on an Android phone, only beaten by the radio, radio bootloader is almost never used flashing from.

Things it can do for us... the most important command in fastboot is the boot command. It's not really helpful for end users, but developers can use it to boot their custom images before flashing to see if it works with the phone without risking anything. Since it's deeper than recovery it may give us write access to the system partition while normal booted (?). Hboot is also often called SPL (maybe not on desire, but at least on other devices), a hboot with security disabled is often called engineering's SPL.

My knowledge on this is mainly based on other devices. Some may be wrong or misleading. If anyone sees something wrong, please let me know.

Thanks for the reply sindrefyrn, im a little more knowledgeable now!

kingchris

Apr 17, 2007
Okay, have now slept... :)

So, it seems this is indeed relevant for this sub-forum so I'll reply here rather than via pm.

Where I am:

• have root
  • have new radio
  • have fastboot access

• do not have adb access
  • can not flash any kernels here in XDA

I'm not a muppet and have adb working fine for my Nexus but for the life of me can not get it working on this Desire. HTC Sync does not recognise the phone as connected in any mode (Win7 & XP). I've used the Google and HTC drivers. I've used driver tools to remove the registry entries and reconnect phone, no joy. Although I do get "HTC Android Phone USB Disk". :confused:

I can't flash a kernel via a recovery .zip. In fact, even if I flash a rom from here on XDA the kernel fails to install. Bad block are reported on the boot partition which I realise is common. This does however mean that if I install a custom kernel to get a dump it will have to be VERY small.

I've had a few questions asking if I'm willing to dump it. Well, of course I am, that's why I posted... :)

I am trying to secure the device for the weekend EDIT: I have the phone for the weekend.

the best thing, i think, you can do is tu use a Linux Live CD to dump the Phone

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
the best thing, i think, you can do is tu use a Linux Live CD to dump the Phone

Yeah... be working through it on irc... we've confirmed it's s-off and have explored hboot but we can't get adb to recognise the phone (on two computers).

It may be the rom, so I'll change that as soon as I get home and try again.

Apparently we will need to get it working eventually on Windows for some of the debug stuff but getting it working on anything at all will be a good start. :)

On a side note (o/t): I actually think 2.2 w/Sense on a Desire is at least as fast as 2.2 Stock on my Nexus... possibly even faster. Which surprises me. In 2.2 Sense doesn't really feel like another "layer" on top of anything, it really feels "native". Good work HTC. (The hardware's not as nice though... :p)

bikerboi85

Aug 30, 2009
Yep, been there, done that, no help but thanks for the suggestion!

i had the exact same problem. u need to uninstall htc sync, download a specific htc desire adb driver and update the current driver with that one. it took me around 2 hours last night to figure this out. hopefully it saves u problems. i have the driver but have nowhere to upload to. if u want i could email it to u or u have another way?

in windows device manager>Android Phone> it should be recognised as htc composite adb interface when the phone is in debug mode and fully operational

in windows device manager>android phone> it should be recognised as android bootloader interface when the phone is at the bootloader menu (when turning the phone on and holding back button)

Last edited:

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
i had the exact same problem. u need to uninstall htc sync, download a specific htc desire adb driver and update the current driver with that one. it took me around 2 hours last night to figure this out. hopefully it saves u problems. i have the driver but have nowhere to upload to. if u want i could email it to u or u have another way?

in windows device manager>Android Phone> it should be recognised as htc composite adb interface when the phone is in debug mode and fully operational

in windows device manager>android phone> it should be recognised as android bootloader interface when the phone is at the bootloader menu (when turning the phone on and holding back button)

Redacted...

Last edited:

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
You know, I think there is a bunch of people like me following this thread, that maybe don't know much about what is happening but it's really cheering for you to succed at the moment. hehe.

By the way, regarding your little OT, I think HTC sense for the desire optimizes some stuff taking into account the fact that the desire is a high end device.

floyd0815

Jul 18, 2010
Download unrevoked for win. (I know, windows sucks)
Look into the hboot....driver.htm, there is a link to the driver and a how to.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
You know, I think there is a bunch of people like me following this thread, that maybe don't know much about what is happening but it's really cheering for you to succed at the moment. hehe.

:) that's encouraging... well I hope nobody ends up too disappointed at the end of this all!

Ultimately though, people with more skill than me will have a more legitimate claim to the credit if it does benefit the community... I just got the device.

All said and done, it's certainly not credit I'm after, just progress for all! :cool:

fstluxe

Sep 15, 2009
New York
BRo!,,
If you arn't able to get it to work Then let one of the Devs Taking your pc over with VNC or something like that!!!!

we dont have time for playing around, .. if you know what i mean..

:) that's encouraging... well I hope nobody ends up too disappointed at the end of this all!

Ultimately though, people with more skill than me will have a more legitimate claim to the credit if it does benefit the community... I just got the device.

All said and done, it's certainly not credit I'm after, just progress for all! :cool:

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
BRo!,,
If you arn't able to get it to work Then let one of the Devs Taking your pc over with VNC or something like that!!!!

we dont have time for playing around, .. if you know what i mean..

I don't know if I do know what you mean?

And we've tried that anyway.

And I'm not exactly incompetent.

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Okay, well quick update, I got adb to work through a rather torturous process so that's a good step forward.

Now we can start extracting stuff.

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Some progress, eye opening stuff, but nothing monumental yet.

I'm just a passenger now. Watching real guru's remote into my pc and sort it out over irc is actually fascinating. lol, I'm a geek.