[Q] Can NB4 Be Rooted?

Search This thread

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
Sorry to jump in here with a question that probably was already answered but here is my situation. Just got a note 3 att and it updated to Nb4. As as I am reading about rooting options I notice another update going thru. Well it finished but I delayed it. I am sure it is kk. Is there any way to root while still at NB4 before the kk update goes thru. If I can please point me in the right direction of which method to do.

Kingo will root it. However, you will need to install titanium backup and freeze the OTA updater. If it updates, you will lose root. At this time, we do not have root for the official KK.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: tonyz3

tonyz3

Oct 13, 2010
Kingo will root it. However, you will need to install titanium backup and freeze the OTA updater. If it updates, you will lose root. At this time, we do not have root for the official KK.

Rooted thx....thanks where do i find the OTA updater--in tb what is it listed as...

EDIT- so i found and froze the following: ATT software update and FW Upgrade.
Are they the corret ones- the notification of the update did go away after the Att SW was frozen... What about the second one? Thx

Last edited:

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
You should be good now. If you want KK, we have some custom ROMs floating around now. Be sure to check them out in the development section.

rajeev2liz

Feb 17, 2014
El Paso
Kingo 1.1.8

So it sounds like kingo will work if you were previously rooted. I am on a brand new N3 and I've tried 1.1.5 but keep getting stuck at the downloading step of kingo. Has anyone tried RDLV method?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
i was having the same problem with my ATT note3 try downloading 1.1.8 versions it works. if it doesn't another thing you can try is go into download mode and then try to root. let me know if that works

lawalty

May 16, 2008
I'm just wondering why the newest versions of Kingo don't work?

Before this dreaded 4.4.2 KK update came, I was on NB4. I used the latest Kingo software (v1.2.1) and it rooted my N3 just fine. I seems many individuals were experiencing issues, so they went back and used (v1.1.8) which worked. However I can attest the newer version worked for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

epicguy

Nov 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I can confirm that 1.1.5 DOES work on NB4 without prior root. Received my note 3 last week, got the OTA update, tried to root with the newest kingo with no success. Found this thread and 1.1.5 worked like a charm.

*edit* used the usb 3.0 cable if anybody was wondering.

Last edited:

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
I can also say that version 1.1.5 with kingo on a brand new note 3 with nb5 update works. I was a bit scared at first but it went through perfectly. Just follow kingo instructions and it should work flawlessly. I also checked the bootloader after to make sure knox was still 0x0 and it has been confirmed. Another tip is to make sure when rooting that you check the "stay awake" option so that your phone will not sleep during the rooting process. I'm a happy mf right now :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

_Burst_

May 20, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I can also say that version 1.1.5 with kingo on a brand new note 3 with nb5 update works. I was a bit scared at first but it went through perfectly. Just follow kingo instructions and it should work flawlessly. I also checked the bootloader after to make sure knox was still 0x0 and it has been confirmed. Another tip is to make sure when rooting that you check the "stay awake" option so that your phone will not sleep during the rooting process. I'm a happy mf right now :D

WHAT? Root for latest official?! ????

Hat Trick

Feb 9, 2012
What did you try to use?

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Kingo 1.1.8

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Are u on KitKat or JB

JB NB4. The latest official update. Just got the phone yesterday and it was an automatic OTA update.

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
Use kingo 1.1.5 I just used it and it worked.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Kingo 1.1.8

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

JB NB4. The latest official update. Just got the phone yesterday and it was an automatic OTA update.

Also make sure the stay awake option is selected so that the phone won't sleep on it trying to root it. It will cause it to fail

Hat Trick

Feb 9, 2012
Use kingo 1.1.5 I just used it and it worked.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Also make sure the stay awake option is selected so that the phone won't sleep on it trying to root it. It will cause it to fail

Do you have a link to 1.1.5? The one that I clicked took me to a facebook page but the download was for a version like 1.2. I can't seem to find 1.1.5 anywhere. I'll try the stay awake option also.

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
Do you have a link to 1.1.5? The one that I clicked took me to a facebook page but the download was for a version like 1.2. I can't seem to find 1.1.5 anywhere. I'll try the stay awake.

It's on the 3rd, 4th or 5th page somebody already linked. read the posts this thread is only like 7 pages right now

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

I found all versions here. But beware it tries to install avg toolbar. / set search/home pages all of which you can deny
1.18 seemed to work for me after the update

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/s...es/kingo_android_root.cfm/v1_1_5#all_versions

It's right here. Thanks man for finding this. Your a lifesaver.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone