• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Can we move apps to external SD on Lollipop?

Search This thread

bigas

Mar 5, 2011
I'm sorry this can appear as another lame demonstration of lazyness, but I searched everywhere and I just can't understand what is happening with my cellphone.

So I grab my Moto G 2014 8GB yesterday. It asked for Lollipop upgrade right out of the box, which I followed instantly. So I can say I never experienced KK and it quierks with SDCards before - although I know them.

So I keep this handful numbers of apps installed; not just that, they create their amount of data on their own - Pocket, Evernote and some other examples. I was just happy to see the whole storage options appearing on Android 5 - external app, external data and so. But the bottom line was different; I had this feeling that altough I could move some apps 2 external SD, they were not actually being moved. And with OI File Manager (don't laugh, everyone has its preferred file manager) I could check it was really not moving anything at all:

So, what I am not understanding: Why the system shows that I can move apps and that they were moved if anything is going to the external storage?

I can take more pictures showing that my ANDROID folder is quite empty and that the example app is not listed there.

Just so no one calls me lazy, my crazy non-tech opinion is that the Lollipop update allows the moving but the new runtimes (ART) don't.

Can someone with the Android 5 update check where their moved apps went?

REMARK: Just so you have all the info, mine is the XT1068 hw model.

EDIT: Mine is a 32GB Kingston Class4. Hum... Does it pick wich card it could work with?

Last edited:

mpeL

Aug 30, 2014
São Paulo
Well, Lollipop does allow apps to be moved to your SD Card as usual, I don't see what's the issue here..

Everything has been working fine for me, and your apps appear to be moved as well.

bigas

Mar 5, 2011
Thanks for your reply. Yes, Motorola Lollipop allows apps to be moved to external memory - but it seems my system it's faking it.

I tried something else: I uninstalled the reference app. Nothing happened to external SD, but the internal memory got the whole amount of space that the system pointed out as internal and external ones. Again, the information is right, but the system is not doing what it's showing in the pictures.

Enviado do meu dispositivo móvel.

bigas

Mar 5, 2011
If your solution involve root, I'm sorry but it's a no-go for me. I'm tray ng to stay as clean as can - and moto phones seemed my best option for this. But now I can't even download my Evernote data because it's too big and it keeps downloading to internal memory - although it says it's using the external one.

-Adarsh-

Jun 18, 2013
Balasore
I am a moto e user..and need my device's elder brother's help :p

It will be very great full of you guyz if u can confirm if any games are working with their data file placed in sd card ?
i am using moto e(lollipop) and when i place data in sd card it is detected but then the game just shuts down without any message or fc..

bigas

Mar 5, 2011
That's because data is usually saved on the internal storage. You can move the apps, but not their data.
My research from the last two days shows exactly this. But it seems that Motorola has made some changes so we could use much more of the external SD card - which is the complaining I have against Moto G 2014.

-Adarsh-

Jun 18, 2013
Balasore
Ok i did my research and found that may be those new apps only can be moved which are using the new lollipop api to move the data..as i tested world of tanks(2.5gigs) and it installed fully in sd card..and another one is limbo which too got installed in the sd card..post some more info if u get

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA Premium mobile app

IcedG

Mar 11, 2015
Ok i did my research and found that may be those new apps only can be moved which are using the new lollipop api to move the data..as i tested world of tanks(2.5gigs) and it installed fully in sd card..and another one is limbo which too got installed in the sd card..post some more info if u get

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA Premium mobile app

could help me with THAT?

poktor

Dec 14, 2007
could help me with THAT?
Please check this link:
https://awanstuff.wordpress.com/201...ink2sd-in-any-android-phone-with-screenshots/

It describes the exact way to enable your phone to move all apps to SD. I also ran into the low memory problem and this was my solution.
I have a samsung galaxy S3 on android 5.1.1 by the way. The solution is the 2nd partition on the sd-card that has to be created as primary partition. This is the key. Then Link2SD
sees it and is able to put data on it. There's lots of tools in the play store that promise to handle this and create the partition for you, but none are able to do this correctly. So, you have to resort to a pc and usb-cable and follow the above instructions. Then you can move your apps. Even system apps, but i recommend against that, as i tried this with google play services, but that kept crashing after that, so i reverted the move quickly. :)
Good luck, it works for me! Can't imagine why it woudn't work for you. :good: