[Q] Cappy Bricked??? Pls help!!!! unique problem!!!

Search This thread

psycho2097

Nov 1, 2010
Raleigh
Ok i know and have seen that there are many experienced users in this forum, so i give you this!!Pls help sum1!!!

I think i bricked my fone, tried to get cwm 3 on it, then while rebooting, it wont reboot. went into download mode with odin (3 button fix) (i have done this 9-10 times before, not a noob to this), selected pit and tar and hit start. odin stuck on factoryfs and fully orange screen on fone. removed battery, fone, usb, odin restart, tried again, yellow screen. again. red screen. now got frustrated. tried normal odin(not the 3 button fix), again yellow screen.took out battery to try again, but fone wont start/go in dl/recvry mode anymore. tried on 2 different comps with xp/win7. no go.

SCREWED??

BTW, i ordered a jig.should arrive by end of week.

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
same thing happened to me...but i just got it replaced..as there was no way i could wake it up...but try Jig..or just get it replaced...every captivate is under warranty...tell them u were doing official Froyo update and lost electricity or something....

Reactions: psycho2097

psycho2097

Nov 1, 2010
Raleigh
yes will try that and post.
In the meantime, can sum1 pls run me thru the steps to install custom ROM on preinstalled froyo cappy? My prev 1 was stock eclair, i filed 4 insurance and am sure the new 1s gonna b stock froyo. I have heard that there are a no. f probs with stock froyo phones????

crystalhand

Aug 22, 2010
Its a semi uncommon problem.I have had the random colored screens before and had to pull battery. Managed to get odin to work after a couple of times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
In the meantime, can sum1 pls run me thru the steps to install custom ROM on preinstalled froyo cappy? My prev 1 was stock eclair, i filed 4 insurance and am sure the new 1s gonna b stock froyo. I have heard that there are a no. f probs with stock froyo phones????

flash to stock using full Odin(full odin to avoid loosing 3 button combo), flash CWM.Zip....flash any froyo custum rom

or just flash the fix for sign verification (its somewhere in the threads) then you can avoid flashing to stock....just flash CWM and Custom rom

Last edited:

psycho2097

Nov 1, 2010
Raleigh
flash to stock using full Odin(full odin to avoid loosing 3 button combo), flash CWM.Zip....flash any froyo custum rom

or just flash the fix for sign verification (its somewhere in the threads) then you can avoid flashing to stock....just flash CWM and Custom rom

YEA, I THOT SO 2... JUZ WANTED 2 VERIFY, WAT ABOUT WEN CHANGING ROMS?do i need to flash to stock every time, or can i just take a backup f froyo stock using cwm?(sorry 4 the caps...)

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
Most of the custom roms don't require flashing to stock now a days. But if its mentioned in the instructions than I would do it.

But definitely you should disable lagfix and stuff before flashing over new rom.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

psycho2097

Nov 1, 2010
Raleigh
Most of the custom roms don't require flashing to stock now a days. But if its mentioned in the instructions than I would do it.

But definitely you should disable lagfix and stuff before flashing over new rom.

no i meant with stock froyo and 3e recvry, should i flash to stock using odin or just backup/restore using cwm? m not familiar using stock froyo on cappy.

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
no i meant with stock froyo and 3e recvry, should i flash to stock using odin or just backup/restore using cwm? m not familiar using stock froyo on cappy.

If u flash any zip from stock froyo it gives you sign verification error. So u need to fix that a nd than just flash custom rom as u normally do

Liv33viL

Feb 19, 2011
Crash N Burn....Owch!

Sounds as though your bootloader got hammered.

Yes, as another posted, with 3e recovery you'll get a signing error, but there is a workaround, depending on your device and ROM you're using to have files pass through as if it were on 2e recovery. Another method is if one passes files that are unsigned. (only load if it's from a trusted source)

Is it possible you performed a nandriod backup before this debacle occurred?

If so, try a restore from recovery with your last nandroid backup. This should restore the bootloader and correct partitioning on your disk.

HtH

Peace-

psycho2097

Nov 1, 2010
Raleigh
Sounds as though your bootloader got hammered.

Yes, as another posted, with 3e recovery you'll get a signing error, but there is a workaround, depending on your device and ROM you're using to have files pass through as if it were on 2e recovery. Another method is if one passes files that are unsigned. (only load if it's from a trusted source)

Is it possible you performed a nandriod backup before this debacle occurred?

If so, try a restore from recovery with your last nandroid backup. This should restore the bootloader and correct partitioning on your disk.

HtH

Peace-

inncidentally i did do a couple of nandroids before "all the **** hit the fan". and i could use it to restore. but how? my fone simply wont turn on, neither go in2 recv/ dl. so how 2 restore???????

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
all 2.2 have 3e recovery, custom roms built on 2.2 come pre cracked.
here is the 3e recovery fix. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909213
it works on all 2.2 stocks with 3e.

if you are rooted using "one click root 1.7" (NOT ODIN ONE CLICK!!!) you dont need adb commands just root explorer to mount and replace file. or use adb to mount and push file. the instructions in the thread have the 2 methods mixed together.

no offence but ignore Liv33viL on this one

Last edited:

clemmie

Dec 30, 2010
no offence but ignore Liv33viL on this one

Dude, that's just plain wrong. Let each person decide on their own who's advice to take and who's to ignore. It's an open forum and we all have the right to share our knowledge and experience. The focus here should be helping people get the assistance they need, not to diminish someone's credibility based on a personal opinion.

In short, grow up.

clemmie

Dec 30, 2010
What happens when you do turn it on- nothing? Or does it hang on the boot screen?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using XDA App

donharden2002

Nov 25, 2010
Pittsburgh
I had the very same problem. Your bootloater is boogered up now. I sent mine to an xda member and he fixed it.
Even with a jig I wasn't able to do anything. My phone would go into d/l mode with it but that was all it would do.
I paid $50 to have mine fixed which in my opinion is well worth it. That doesn't include shipping costs. I had connexion2005 fix it for me. He a great guy and does very fast work. It beats buying a new phone.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

clemmie

Dec 30, 2010
All shameless advertising aside, it's worth trying a fix where others give up and pay someone. Through the process of elimination we can determine if you need professional help lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using XDA App

psycho2097

Nov 1, 2010
Raleigh
N does anybody know what to do, as my newly arrived cappy has a distinctive yellow tint to the screen. Do I call samsung and ask for a new one? Or is there some method to fix it by software?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It'll be fine after you get your jig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897
    same thing happened to me...but i just got it replaced..as there was no way i could wake it up...but try Jig..or just get it replaced...every captivate is under warranty...tell them u were doing official Froyo update and lost electricity or something....
    Its a semi uncommon problem.I have had the random colored screens before and had to pull battery. Managed to get odin to work after a couple of times

cumanzor, you are saying that you had a black screen and it would not turn in any way, shape or form, it had no AT&T logo, no way to get into the recovery, and no way to get into the download, it did nothing at all...

Then you plugged in a jig and it went into download? You're saying that a jig somehow restored your download mode? A resistor, made it possible for your phone which did not have firmware driving any of the buttons, go into download mode?

Or are you saying that your phone would boot to a black screen and you used a jig to put it into download mode? This is more likely. The same firmware that drives the buttons would be used to drive the search for amperage on the usb port.

The former, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It wouldn't turn in any shape or form. The only thing it would do is getting a little warm after plugging in the usb cable for a while. Other than that, I wouldn't even get the charging screen when the phone was off. No AT&T screen, no recovery boot, not even the HW test some Captivates have (black screen with red characters I think). No USB + Vol Up and Vol Down download mode either. This is with a phone that had the 3 button recovery working perfectly before. I don't remember the version of Odin 1 click I used though, so there is a chance that the 3 button combo was disabled on that attempt. But even if that was the case, at the very least I would've been able to see the charging screen I think.

I am not saying that the jig restored the firmware. It didn't. The bootloader was still there, but for some reason it just didn't boot at all. I've had this same issue twice. First time, Odin got stuck and my phone displayed a purple screen. Second time it just got stuck. This time I even opened a ticket with Samsung to have it replaced because my home made jig wasn't working either. The next day I tried again with a little more patience and I got it to boot into download mode.