• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] - Change ROM => Boot between start screens

Search This thread

Soween

Nov 21, 2007
Montreal
www.soween.com
Hi,

I own a Captivate on Rogers (Canada).

I had the ROM Firefly 2.6 (or 2.4) and decided to change to something quicker or at least different.

I decided to put Cyanogen 7 on it, because many people told me to.
I succeeded in installing Cyanogen and it worked great, easy to use, fast, ultra fast reboot, nice looking... but not all the software I was looking for.

So I decided to change again to a JVQ SIMPLY.
Put it on the SD, move it to sdcard via Astro under Cyanogen and reboot in recovery mode to install update from sdcard.

It wrote that it was ok, and needed to reboot.

Now the only thing I have is "booting" from
- the very first screen with Galaxy S I9000 on it to
- a second one with Galaxy S Cyanogen(mod)

I can access the screen with the little android guy in the public works sign, yellow, with Downloading... and Do not turn off Target!!! (did it trying hard reset).

I couldn't reboot with 3 buttons (tested many methods), the one with Odin, I never ever succeeded with that one, and it continues changing from a screen to another without stopping but if I remove the battery of course.

What can I do from there?

Thank you for your help... again...

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
Just for clarification, did you do the Odin One-Click to stock? If you can get to the download screen (the yellow sign / "Do not turn off target" screen), you should be able to flash back to stock.

Reactions: Soween

Soween

Nov 21, 2007
Montreal
www.soween.com
I tried the Odin 1-click, but I think that it won't work right now because I can't access the administrator rights (from work).
I must try from home tonight.

Will it remove everything like the fact it is root?

Thank you for your answer by the way.

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
The lack of admin rights is very possibly why it won't work. There's also the chance that without admin rights, you're not able to install the samsung drivers. Either way, waiting until you get home sounds like a good idea.

You might be able to do the Heimdall one-click without admin rights, but it would probably be wise to read up on that one first as it's in Beta right now.

The one-click to stock will put your phone in the state it came out of the box, but leave all your personal files on the phone. You will have Eclair 2.1, unrooted, straight as it came from (in your case) Rogers. Any pictures, music, etc you saved on your internal sd card (not the microSD) will still be there, but you'll have to re-root and reinstall any rom you want.

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
Sorry to have to tell you this, but it looks like you might have fully bricked yourself.

If you are still under warranty, you can try to send it in for warranty service. If not, or if you aren't comfortable taking that route, look for a member named connexion2005 (or mobiletechvideos on google), who can do JTAG service for you for $50.

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
The JTAG thing is the special cable made from special resistor, right?
Or do you mean it is hard break and only expert can do something?

Thank you very much for your help and your support.
You're thinking of a Jig, which is a set of resistors that kicks the phone into download mode.

Unfortunately, you need JTAG, which is a special service that rewrites the bootloaders to the phone so that it can boot normally. That's something that you either need to be fairly knowledgeable about electronics to do yourself, or something you'll need to send in (to Samsung or mobiletechvideos) to have fixed.

Soween

Nov 21, 2007
Montreal
www.soween.com
I did many, many things with WInMo and never encountered any brick (sometimes I was close to the cliff, but never fell).
Since I have this Captivate, I not sure to really like it, I am fond of android either, and I don't take enough time to read carefully each post...
I think it is time for me to take an iphone...

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
Although you could do that, I think you'll find if you give yourself a little time with Android you'll come to really like it.

Don't get me wrong - the iPhone is a well made product. But it is one thing, and only one thing. Android devices can really be anything you want.

But that's my opnion. Do with it what you will.

Soween

Nov 21, 2007
Montreal
www.soween.com
People like you are gold, taking time to help newbie with the always same questions, don't selling android is the best (other are selling ios is the best), ...

I'll see what kind of hone I can find, because the Atrix was a cool phone I liked, and I always liked HTC (qtek before)...

Apple is expensive!!!

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
People like you are gold, taking time to help newbie with the always same questions, don't selling android is the best (other are selling ios is the best), ...

I'll see what kind of hone I can find, because the Atrix was a cool phone I liked, and I always liked HTC (qtek before)...

Apple is expensive!!!
Thank you. I'm just trying to repay the many favors everyone else here on the board has done for me in the past.

Definitely look around - if the Captivate isn't working for you, there's plenty of Android phones that are every bit as good. I've also had good luck with HTC phones in the past, and Motorola's not bad, either.

And yes, Apple is expensive. Can't argue with you on that one.

Soween

Nov 21, 2007
Montreal
www.soween.com
Hi,
aww.W.T.F, I hope so yes... it was on the usb for hours... you put me a doubt... I need to check now!!

I asked Rogers for warranty, they charge $35 for an exchange, and 5 days to wait, I think this is a little bit too much. But I will do it.

What I discussed with a guy is that I will finish my current subscription with Rogers and take the HTC Sensation with Virgin... Another try with android, to follow jmtheiss.

I will continue to let you know about how it goes.
If my profile is closed tonight, this will be because I will be too ashamed because I had an empty battery... :cool:

P.S. Ok it is not the battery... I'm waiting for my new one and will send this one to warranty (I'll see what they can find or not...).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just for clarification, did you do the Odin One-Click to stock? If you can get to the download screen (the yellow sign / "Do not turn off target" screen), you should be able to flash back to stock.