[Q] Checking device status... Please wait...

Search This thread

josetj34

Aug 4, 2014
Hello. I'm getting this notification that won't disappear on my Galaxy S5 even if I tap it or try to swipe it that says "Checking device status... Please wait...". It's just there, and it has been ever since I started the phone after my sister gave it a factory reset about 3-4 days ago. I found out that it's the samsung dm service so I disabled it, but when I restart the phone it reappears. I tried to find the location with the root explorer but I can't seem to find it. Any help please? :D

Reactions: RamHa

eugenio35

Mar 25, 2013
Hey Jose

Hello. I'm getting this notification that won't disappear on my Galaxy S5 even if I tap it or try to swipe it that says "Checking device status... Please wait...". It's just there, and it has been ever since I started the phone after my sister gave it a factory reset about 3-4 days ago. I found out that it's the samsung dm service so I disabled it, but when I restart the phone it reappears. I tried to find the location with the root explorer but I can't seem to find it. Any help please? :D

Hey Jose, did you found any answer or fix to this problem? I'm facing the same thing with my Galaxy S5 Sprint version.

Familyman33

Mar 18, 2016
Im having the same problem on my Sprint Note 3 that i had flashed and it wont go away unless i restart the phone and then its only for a few seconds. Someone help please

SSHQuietly

Apr 8, 2016
Remedy for "Checking device status" hang.

I know what it is. These instructions are for those who use their s5 without cellular service and could not get a successful activation after reset because there is no network carrier responding to status inquiries.
Samsung s5 tries to launch "no touch activation" and "system update" after a factory reset. To put a stop to this, go to settings > system update (under the system tab) and uncheck auto-update. You are half-way there! Now go to settings > application manager. You will be on the "downloaded" tab, move to the "all" tab. Find! "Software Update" 696k and disable it. Now restart if you want to test it! That was for Galaxy s5 SM-G900P or similar models that get stuck in activation loop or are unable to complete activation because of a bad config and you are on an unlocked phone with a valid SIM card or other CDMA configuration and If you are getting this error while trying to activate or sim/uicc unlock and you believe it is a bad config, you will need to configure the "Service Mode" menu first. Root the phone. Open /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu and modify its content from OFF to ON. Reboot. Open dialer and input *#0011# to enter "Service Mode" menu. Wait for at least 10 seconds and look for the three dots icon in the upper right. Press it and select "back" from the drop-down menu (not on the bottom of the phone.) Now wait ten seconds and press the three dots and select "Key Input" and enter the letter uppercase "Q" and press "ok". Wait at least three econds and go key input and enter six zeros, "000000" and press Ok on the seventh flash of the cursor. Wait up to 30 seconds for the secret menu to appear. If it does not, enter Airplane Mode, reboot, and retry. If by chance you are seeing a blank page, reboot and try again and if still blank, root your phone and start over. Still blank, you're done. Something's wrong with your phone. It ain't going to work for you. Once inside the menu, click item 2 "UE Setting", then inside that menu, click menu item "setting", then once inside that menu click "protocol", then once inside that menu click "[8] mscdma" and you'll see "1". Go to the menu in the corner and use option "Select" and it will ask for a row number. Type "0" and press Ok. Then press key input and enter "0". If you want to simunlock while you are in the menu (pointless on a CDMA model, those slots are for UICC cards not SIM cards but you may have success on GSM models but might be to get SSU to finish the job on 4.4.2 KK phones. This method works on 5.0 Marshmallow to use LTE from another carrier on the phone to get data and use Google Hangouts Dialer for a phone, etc. ) Redo all of these steps again to get to the menu where tmscdma was and click [9] uicc lock instead. Use the menu to toggle the On switch to Off. If you do not see the menu item, your phone is a CDMA and the slot is not a SIM locked slot, it's an unlocked UICC slot for LTE reception. Your slot is unlocked already, you are good to go. Whoever makes it this far should not be seeing the hands-free activation messages any longer. I hope hope this helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remedy for "Checking device status" hang.

I know what it is. These instructions are for those who use their s5 without cellular service and could not get a successful activation after reset because there is no network carrier responding to status inquiries.
    Samsung s5 tries to launch "no touch activation" and "system update" after a factory reset. To put a stop to this, go to settings > system update (under the system tab) and uncheck auto-update. You are half-way there! Now go to settings > application manager. You will be on the "downloaded" tab, move to the "all" tab. Find! "Software Update" 696k and disable it. Now restart if you want to test it! That was for Galaxy s5 SM-G900P or similar models that get stuck in activation loop or are unable to complete activation because of a bad config and you are on an unlocked phone with a valid SIM card or other CDMA configuration and If you are getting this error while trying to activate or sim/uicc unlock and you believe it is a bad config, you will need to configure the "Service Mode" menu first. Root the phone. Open /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu and modify its content from OFF to ON. Reboot. Open dialer and input *#0011# to enter "Service Mode" menu. Wait for at least 10 seconds and look for the three dots icon in the upper right. Press it and select "back" from the drop-down menu (not on the bottom of the phone.) Now wait ten seconds and press the three dots and select "Key Input" and enter the letter uppercase "Q" and press "ok". Wait at least three econds and go key input and enter six zeros, "000000" and press Ok on the seventh flash of the cursor. Wait up to 30 seconds for the secret menu to appear. If it does not, enter Airplane Mode, reboot, and retry. If by chance you are seeing a blank page, reboot and try again and if still blank, root your phone and start over. Still blank, you're done. Something's wrong with your phone. It ain't going to work for you. Once inside the menu, click item 2 "UE Setting", then inside that menu, click menu item "setting", then once inside that menu click "protocol", then once inside that menu click "[8] mscdma" and you'll see "1". Go to the menu in the corner and use option "Select" and it will ask for a row number. Type "0" and press Ok. Then press key input and enter "0". If you want to simunlock while you are in the menu (pointless on a CDMA model, those slots are for UICC cards not SIM cards but you may have success on GSM models but might be to get SSU to finish the job on 4.4.2 KK phones. This method works on 5.0 Marshmallow to use LTE from another carrier on the phone to get data and use Google Hangouts Dialer for a phone, etc. ) Redo all of these steps again to get to the menu where tmscdma was and click [9] uicc lock instead. Use the menu to toggle the On switch to Off. If you do not see the menu item, your phone is a CDMA and the slot is not a SIM locked slot, it's an unlocked UICC slot for LTE reception. Your slot is unlocked already, you are good to go. Whoever makes it this far should not be seeing the hands-free activation messages any longer. I hope hope this helps.
    I hope hope this helps.

Without quoting your entire post let me be the first to say thanks for this. Even though I may be back with a query later as I don't have the time to do this all at the moment. Thanks! :good: