[Q] Chinese phone flash fail (bricked)

Search This thread

devil3062

Jul 9, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
www.youtube.com
no problems..

i read through the whole thread without seeing any solution.. to the people who bought the mobile in china, the sad news is that you can flash any firmware but then there are compatibility issues such as some google apps wont work and neither will skype.

i also bought my phone in china and could only download apps from their local GoMarket and could not pair phone with android market.

but after leaving china first thing i did was flash a stock ke7 and do hard reset and restore my old data..

Everythn running great so far and is total different experience than if only were allowed to use in china. :p

still wondering if should update to any 2.3.4 firmwares ans KE7 is very stable in my experience for over a month.

gmstrollo

Jul 31, 2011
San Diego
...you can flash any firmware but then there are compatibility issues such as some google apps wont work and neither will skype.

I'm wondering if your Chinese phone is different than mine. Everything I flashed besides I9100ZNKG5 gave me the cold boot of death (and apparently numerous others on this thread.) How long ago did you buy it?

I'm also wondering exactly how to tell the differences between the different versions of the hardware. Is it something you can pick up from the serial information... or is it something that can be gleaned from the kernel info? The reason I bring this up is because while I was able to get version ZNKG5 to bring my phone back to life, it's still slightly different from what was on there when I purchased it. Clearly there are different versions of the Chinese firmware available, but maybe it's just the CSC.

If there's a hope and a prayer here to actually have some fun with this thing, I'll keep it. If not, it's going up on ebay.

but after leaving china first thing i did was flash a stock ke7 and do hard reset and restore my old data....still wondering if should update to any 2.3.4 firmwares ans KE7 is very stable in my experience for over a month.

And just out of curiosity, which CSC did you load?

A LATE ADDITION:
Everyone reading this thread might be happier to read this one. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=16140775
If it's not the solution, it makes me thing that one is right around the corner.

Last edited:

gmstrollo

Jul 31, 2011
San Diego
A LATE ADDITION:
Everyone reading this thread might be happier to read this one. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=16140775
If it's not the solution, it makes me thing that one is right around the corner.

Okay, following the above link, I was able to get to onwhere's page where he/she is apparently hacking the chinese OS in realtime. No sooner did I download in flash the new firmware, without FAIL!, no less, than a new version was posted. This appears to have Android market preloaded, gmail, and a bunch of other stuff. You have to navigate through the icons to get to the language settings so you switch it into English (or whatever your native tongue.)

All these pages are in Chinese. Onwhere's page points to a download page, also in Chinese. You can kinda figure it out. I asked a Chinese colleage to translate for me before I got all click-happy. If anyone needs directions on how to navigate through there, I can help.

The best advice though is to use Chrome and let Google translate it for you.

I'm downloading the new version (1.2.4 as of today) and will install and post comment.

Odia

Jan 4, 2009
The reason I bring this up is because while I was able to get version ZNKG5 to bring my phone back to life, it's still slightly different from what was on there when I purchased it.

I think the boots will allow ZN and ZC, possibly ZS too, you may also be able to flash any version by removing boot.bin and sbl.bin from the flash bundle, you may also need to remove param.lfs, this is just some theory since I do not have an SGS2 with Chinese boots and I am not responsible for any damage should you wish to test it out.

SWEcarlson

Aug 14, 2011
Shanghai
Hi, Sitting with a chinese SGS2 and cant update firmware. Any solution to get app-market and google running would be great!

Will read link above to see if the mood works for me.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: I've reflashed the original and it works again. But I'm still stuck with the Chinese software :(

The firmware came as one .tar file: I9100ZNKG5_I9100ZNKG5_I9100OZHKG5.tar

Any ideas?
    jig is to make u enter download mode if the normal 3 button combo does not work for you,then under download mode u can reflash then should solve the problem
    any other chinese sgs2 stock firmware that works on i9188?

ONLY I9188 firmware will work on I9188 since it has OMAP CPU.
    Would it be bad to say I'm glad that I'm not the only chump that this happened to?

So, first off, thank you for posting this. After googling your firmware rev, I realized that I could actually get into "samfirmware"... which looks pretty official for Samsung firmware releases... and I'm guessing is. Anyway... got it back to China-mode, which is still better than my back t-mobile crackberry.

I had gotten well past the red droid pic with my brick. I could get into download mode tho. Some things I picked up on that might help others:

1) I was using the wrong version of Odin. You have to use 1.85.
    2) Kies was still running in the background and lots of people say to kill the process before running Odin.
    3) Before seeing this thread, I tried downloading and installing "One-Click Unbrick". Bad idea for my purposes, as Odin failed to work afterwards. I had to use Kies to reinstall the USB drivers and that, for some unknown reason to me, took about an hour and a half.

So, A question:

If this is an Asian hardware variant, then there is some likelihood that the Singapore version might work on it. Singapore, having spent some time there, is a fairly western society. I'd wager it would be open to using Google Apps. Has anybody looked into this or attempted to install that firmware? [CSC = OLBKE5 / I9100XWKF1]

I'm reluctant to 'just try it' as it has a new kernel in the download package and I'm at a loss as to how to use Odin to update that.

Any help on getting this resolved will earn you a beer the next time you're in San Diego.