[Q] CHM Reader

Search This thread

Darth Valda

Mar 15, 2008
Hey everybody!
After weeks of searching the internet and looking up some older threads here at XDA, I'm still desperately in need of a at least half-decent CHM reader for Android. Unfortunately there's only crappy and buggy software available (no or bad search feature, problem with compiling the files, unable to view the TOC, etc.)....
I tried EVERY free one (Android Chm EBook Reader, Best Ebook Reader, iReader, Moon Reader, Cool Reader, Cuckoo Reader, etc.) and some paid ones (HYReader, Chm Reader X, etc.) in the Play Store.
The "Best Ebook Reader" used to be quite aceptable but meanwhile there's no actual version available anymore and it seems that there's no support for ICS, because I always get a forced close on both my TF101G and my SGS3 running on stock ICS.
The main issue is, that I need such a reader to read quite big CHM files (about 50-70MB) and that most of the available readers seem to have problems which such big files.
A friend of mine is using the "GoodReader" on his iPad this thing works like a charm! So I'm curious if there's no way to get something like this for Android.

salmansadiq97

Sep 17, 2011
Me also facing same problem

try KingReader...:)

yes there is no good chm reader for android none r at par with CHMate for iOS
however you can try iReader on play store (the one with colorful icon),this works good for ICS.
it has all functions except search button.
i use it regularly and it is able to handle harrisions(273 Mb) without any FC.
but not perfect and i am still in search of one,
if you get some or have some suggestions plz help
thanks

Mahapralaya

Mar 20, 2010
This is a major problem for me as well. I spend way too much time trying to reformat CHM files into EPUB to work WELL on my Android devices. So far it's been pretty hit or miss with converting/editing programs like Calibre and Sigil. There is no good CHM reader on Android. And we really need one.

salmansadiq97

Sep 17, 2011
back to square one in jelly bean- kingreader not working

plz help me.....
I am in desperate need of a descent CHM Reader.
King reader was a dream come true in ICS. But after upgrade to JB(4.1.2) this it's not working.
I rely on chm reader a lout diye my quick reference on medical books.
So dev/enlightened ones/king reader/ i reader dev plz do something for thos poor soul.
Request to all member plz share your knowledge of you know any good reader.

Hoolines

Aug 12, 2013
plz help me.....
I am in desperate need of a descent CHM Reader.
King reader was a dream come true in ICS. But after upgrade to JB(4.1.2) this it's not working.
I rely on chm reader a lout diye my quick reference on medical books.
So dev/enlightened ones/king reader/ i reader dev plz do something for thos poor soul.
Request to all member plz share your knowledge of you know any good reader.

Try SuperChm. It worked perfectly even when my chm files don't have an index.the search option surely doesn't work when three is no index but it read all medical chm files I tried.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone