• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Chrome eating battery, browsing is no where near 9.5 hours

Search This thread

cwepruk

Jun 6, 2010
Before buying a Nexus 9, I read as many reviews as possible. Most indicated a during battery life. Rated "up to" 9.5 hours with many battery tests matching that and just as many getting slightly longer on the video tests. As good or better than almost all other tablets when tested.

All I really use the tablet for is twitter and browsing. Chrome is using 33% of my battery. I'm at 22% battery with 3 hours of screen time. Chrome used less then 2 hours.

Is this common? My 2013 Nexus 7 does a fair bit better. I'm very disappointed.

I'll also add, I have very few apps installed and syncing, it's all chrome when browsing. Going to try Chrome Beta.

Last edited:

JackHanAnLG

Apr 12, 2012
Southend
My N9 is using a low of battery also, new as well. Currently have 29% left with 4.5hours SOC

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app

Zeblade

Oct 28, 2006
Colorado
In my searching I find the same. Not getting 9 but 5.. maybe a little more. Its a NVIDIA chip.. LOVES power.

Dr. Hurt

Jan 31, 2012
Cairo
I managed to improve it by using an adblocker and disabling network action predictions (settings > advanced > privacy).

Firefox is a better alternative though with lower memory usage, and add-ons.

Feb 15, 2015
With browsing on chrome i got like 4 hours yesterday and was very dissapointed, even mad. Installed opera and i should be hitting like around 6 hours today. Im running stock and my nexus 9 is about a week old today. Not very many apps, and i use mine for mostly browsing. I have no clue where google got this 9.5 hour claim from, maybe in power saver, but theyre nuts. Its like if you buy a car that claims 30 mpg, but you end up with 14.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I managed to improve it by using an adblocker and disabling network action predictions (settings > advanced > privacy).

Firefox is a better alternative though with lower memory usage, and add-ons.