[Q] ClockworkMod Recovery - failed to verify whole-file signature

Search This thread

Aircondition

Dec 10, 2011
Hello! I installed a mod for my Samsung Galaxy SII so I could overclock the CPU to 1.5Ghz. Since I'm new here I can't post the link to the tutorial I followed. But you can just search "Samsung Galaxy S2 how to overclock to 1.5GHz" and select the search result from "androidng". I don't think it matters anyway. It says that I have the kernel version "2.6.65.8-I9100XWKDD-CL161513 mike@odin #59". Now I want to install CyanogenMod for it and I've already downloaded ROM Manager Premium 4.8.0.6 and flashed ClockworkMod Recovery which removed the default recovery mode from Samsung / Google. But when I try to install the ROM from my SD card in the recovery mode it says "failed to verify whole-file signature". Is it possible to get rid of the ClockworkMod Recovery and get the stock recovery back that enable me to flash over USB with Odin. It seems like a lot of people have that error but I can't find any answer to solve it. Someone suggested to disable signature verification but I can't find it, I think it is in an earlier version. Will the "factory reset" option in the menu reset everything to Samsung's stock ROM without the recovery mode and will it backup files, settings and apps? (Probably it is not working either because nothing on that menu works except restart)

Aircondition

Dec 10, 2011
I don't know what the CWM recovery is but I'm sure I don't have the stock recovery. The stock recovery from Samsung don't have that menu that says "Android System Recovery <3e>, on the stock recovery it says "Downloading... Do not turn off target" and has a big Android image.

Aircondition

Dec 10, 2011
Ah. I thought the volume up did the same as the volume down. I started the phone in downloader mode now but I still don't know how to get rid of the "failed to verify whole-file signature" error.

marcadam

Nov 23, 2010
You should flash a cf root kernel this will give you all you need including cwm manager which allows you to reboot straight into clockwork recovery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ThaiM

Jun 21, 2007
Canada, eh?
www.guelphsense.com
I'm having the same problem. Here's what I did though...

I rooted with CF-Root and then flashed back to stock Kernel and root has remained. Now when I go to boot into CWM Recovery I get the "failed to verify signature" error on the screen that says Android recovery <3e>.

Is it because I flashed back to stock Kernel that this is happening?

oinkylicious

May 1, 2011
www.notjustnerds.co.uk
Now when I go to boot into CWM Recovery I get the "failed to verify signature" error on the screen that says Android recovery <3e>.

Where in the instructions to install CM7 does it say to do anything with stock kernel or CF-root kernel? Hint: it doesn't. Follow the instructions to the letter, they're not there to look pretty, they're meant to be followed.

Also, a 5 second search would tell you that Android recovery 3e is not CWM recovery.

ThaiM

Jun 21, 2007
Canada, eh?
www.guelphsense.com
Where in the instructions to install CM7 does it say to do anything with stock kernel or CF-root kernel? Hint: it doesn't. Follow the instructions to the letter, they're not there to look pretty, they're meant to be followed.

Also, a 5 second search would tell you that Android recovery 3e is not CWM recovery.

NOT trying to install CM7. A search resulted in this thread being a perfect match of my problem just as stated in the title. I'm trying to do a Nandroid backup.

M

mudferret

NOT trying to install CM7. A search resulted in this thread being a perfect match of my problem just as stated in the title. I'm trying to do a Nandroid backup.

As you know you still have root, but when you flashed the stock kernel back on you got stock recovery back.

oinkylicious

May 1, 2011
www.notjustnerds.co.uk

Sleepycat3

May 8, 2011

I rooted with CF-Root and then flashed back to stock Kernel and root has remained. Now when I go to boot into CWM Recovery I get the "failed to verify signature" error on the screen that says Android recovery <3e>.

When you flash from CF-Root back to a stock Kernel, you LOSE root. You will still have the CWM app but you will notice that superuser is missing.

Reactions: toofnold
M

mudferret

When you flash from CF-Root back to a stock Kernel, you LOSE root. You will still have the CWM app but you will notice that superuser is missing.

Root is retained. I flew that way for a while and know many others.

Sent from my MicroTAC 9800X using speech to fax modem

Last edited:

LexLuth0r

Nov 30, 2008
Google Pixel 5
I had the same problem bought ROM Manager expecting my phone to reboot and CM7 would install but it dosen't well not the first time anyway. You need to install CM7 manually via Clockwork Recovery, once CM7 is installed you can then use ROM manager to install other ROM's but since there have been no nightly builds from November it seems that ROM Manager was £4 down the drain.

Sleepycat3

May 8, 2011
Nope. Unless there's some weird exception for me. But I kept root after going back to stock Kernel. Superuser is there and all my apps requiring root function as they should.

Root is retained. I flew that way for a while and know many others.
Something is odd with mine then. I've flashed every XW and XX frankenstein ROM and each time I did the kernal flash dance in order to remove the warning triangle. When I flashed the stock kernel back in, I always lost root. Superuser disappeared and Tegrak overclock gave me the error that root access was not available each time.

antzlisoul

Mar 1, 2012
Yeah that's what I figured. Didn't realize recovery was tied into the Kernel. There's my lesson learned for the day.

Cheers.

Hi, I had the same problem you did when trying to do the nandroid backup. It was giving me validation signature error. I noticed that you have solved your problem by flashing the stock kernel?? Can you please refer me the link how to do this? Sorry, I was trying to find the solution for a long time and did not have any luck.

My concern is that if I only have instruction how to do the backup through the CMW recovery, but I don't have access due to this error message. Is there a way to flash stock kernel via odin or something else?

Thanks in advance.

antzlisoul

Mar 1, 2012
Hi, I had the same problem you did when trying to do the nandroid backup. It was giving me validation signature error. I noticed that you have solved your problem by flashing the stock kernel?? Can you please refer me the link how to do this? Sorry, I was trying to find the solution for a long time and did not have any luck.

My concern is that if I only have instruction how to do the backup through the CMW recovery, but I don't have access due to this error message. Is there a way to flash stock kernel via odin or something else?

Thanks in advance.

I think I found the solution to install the CWM recovery by going to galaxys2root.com. For those who still have problem.

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.