• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Compiling Kernel

Search This thread

gieltjev

Dec 5, 2008
Hi All,

I take notes with my Tab2, and sometimes the Default behaviour of the Touchscreen annoys me.

So i decided to recompile the kernel with 3 lines of code added. When done i replaced the zImage in the boot.img of the kkboot stock zip and flashed it trough clockworkmod.

Then i got stuck, my tablet gets stuck inside a boot loop (only the logo comes up, and then reboots after 3 seconds).

The kernel compilation was done by:
- Download Ubuntu, follow the guide on Andriod to setup a build enviorment
- Download Doomlord's toolchain
- Download source from Samsung Open Source
- Adjust code
- Compile using samsungs instructions

How can i resolve this?

gieltjev

Dec 5, 2008

So i downloaded "arm-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2" and your toolkit.
First i extracted the boot.img from "kkboot-0.4.2-core-jb-p51xx.zip", extracted the boot.img and made a new one including my zImage. then using zip replaced boot.img with the new boot.img.

This time the booting takes around 6 seconds, but still resetting.

Plis man do oc kernel to 1,4 ghz for g tab 7 ;)

If the result is positive i will share my adjustments here so that the real cooks can bake a decent kernel :)

Attachments

• zImage.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
So i downloaded "arm-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2" and your toolkit.
First i extracted the boot.img from "kkboot-0.4.2-core-jb-p51xx.zip", extracted the boot.img and made a new one including my zImage. then using zip replaced boot.img with the new boot.img.

This time the booting takes around 6 seconds, but still resetting.

If the result is positive i will share my adjustments here so that the real cooks can bake a decent kernel :)
So what "adb shell dmesg" output?

EDIT: Incompatible PVR kernel module, disable MODVERSION and add "-blackhawk" string to LOCALVERSION in your kernel config file or you can extract my config file from "/proc/config.gz" by "insmod /system/lib/modules/configs.ko".

Last edited:

gieltjev

Dec 5, 2008
So what "adb shell dmesg" output?

EDIT: Incompatible PVR kernel module, disable MODVERSION and add "-blackhawk" string to LOCALVERSION in your kernel config file or you can extract my config file from "/proc/config.gz" by "insmod /system/lib/modules/configs.ko".

Wow, how did you find that out?

So i set, CONF_MODVERSION=n, LOCALVERSION='-blackhawk'

Let's recompile :)

EDIT: Recompiled, added into the CORE kkboot image. Still resetting. while the logo shows i cannot execute "adb shell dmesg". If executed from CWM it adb shell dmesg works.

Last edited:

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
Code:
$ cp android_espresso10_omap4430_r02_user_blackhawk_defconfig.txt kernel/arch/arm/configs/android_espresso10_omap4430_r02_user_blackhawk_defconfig
$ cd kernel
$ make mrproper
$ make ARCH=arm android_espresso10_omap4430_r02_user_blackhawk_defconfig
$ make -j4 ARCH=arm

Attachments

• android_espresso10_omap4430_r02_user_blackhawk_defconfig.txt
    72.6 KB · Views: 4

gieltjev

Dec 5, 2008
Code:
$ cp android_espresso10_omap4430_r02_user_blackhawk_defconfig.txt kernel/arch/arm/configs/android_espresso10_omap4430_r02_user_blackhawk_defconfig
$ cd kernel
$ make mrproper
$ make ARCH=arm android_espresso10_omap4430_r02_user_blackhawk_defconfig
$ make -j4 ARCH=arm

Ok, that works! i've got my own kernel running on the device. Now i will continue getting the fix to work.

cks1119

Feb 6, 2013

What you've done is exactly what I'm trying to do now.

But I'm stuck in unpacking boot.img in kk-boot.

Which unpack/repack tool did you use? Can you plz share them?