• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Couple of questions...

Search This thread

LemonPlusTea

Jun 18, 2011
Hi! I just got my xplay a month or two ago, and my last phone was a iphone. As such, stepping from the relatively easier to handle ios to android system's not exactly a piece of cake...

And I still have a couple questions despite lurking in this forums for a while...

1) im running 2.3.2 , rooted with gingerbreak. I heard there's an improvement in battery life.. so im quite tempted to update, but the thought of bloatware coming back kind of scares me.. ._.
So should I update?

2) is unlocked or locked bootloader better?

3) finally, will there be a final or complete version of cm7?

Also, would be great if anyone could explain what is an OTA and kernel...

Thanks! :)

-josh-

Jan 31, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire
1) its up to you, it is possible to upgrade with root as long as you have any model except a r800 x

2) I dont think either is better just depends on what you want to do to your phone

3) It depends what you mean by complete. There will probably be a stable version that is better than the stock rom eventually, but im not a dev

Ota means "over the air" and a kernel if im not mistaken is the part of the phone responsible for managing sysyem resources and the like. Not that I know much about anything and I could be wrong lol :)

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

Reactions: LemonPlusTea

TheBassman369

Dec 2, 2010
Hi! I just got my xplay a month or two ago, and my last phone was a iphone. As such, stepping from the relatively easier to handle ios to android system's not exactly a piece of cake...

And I still have a couple questions despite lurking in this forums for a while...

1) im running 2.3.2 , rooted with gingerbreak. I heard there's an improvement in battery life.. so im quite tempted to update, but the thought of bloatware coming back kind of scares me.. ._.
So should I update?

This will be my second numbered answer today. Anyway:

1) What model do you have? I assume it's an r800i or r800a. If it is, I would head over to the development section and check out how to get the UK generic firmware on your phone without unlocking the boot loader. I did that, rooted it, then updated to 2.3.3 and removed a lot of bloat and it's good to go now.

2) I have unlocked the boot loader on every Android I've owned, but I haven't on this phone. I wouldn't until development takes off a little bit more. It will soon, but I probably won't even do it then, personally.

3) Yes, we have great people working on it. It's progressing majorly with each update.

Just next time search before posting...nah, I'm just kidding. Welcome to Android.

adb shove iPad2post.apk to /forum/thread

Deoxlar

Dec 19, 2009
OTA means you are updating the firmware on your phone through your phone over wifi.
If you didn't remove the boats you can still do it by pressing the software update button on your phone. Just make sure that your bootloader is is still LOCKED.

Sent from my XPlay using XDA App.

LemonPlusTea

Jun 18, 2011
Thanks guys! I'll try to flash the firmware on my phone after I get home from school. :) my xplay is a r800i. Also, if I use the UK firmware and update to 2.3.3, will it affect my ability to update to 2.3.4 as I live in Singapore?

Deoxlar

Dec 19, 2009
No, when 2.3.4 comes out it would probably be available to generic uk before any other versions. As long as you freeze and not remove boats, you would be able to ota update to 2.3.4

LemonPlusTea

Jun 18, 2011
Oh my god.. I didnt enable debugging and the process stopped halfway.. now the phone displays an exclaimation mark next to a phone.. did i just brick my phone? ...

EDIT : googled around and now im trying to restore my phone via SEUS...

Last edited:

LemonPlusTea

Jun 18, 2011
Ok.. my phone started up fine after running SEUS.. but I clicked restore to factory instead of update..

I want to try updating to 2.3.3 with root again.. So can anyone point out anything I did wrong the previous time?

1. I downloaded the generic UK version (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1119074) and flashtool 0.2.8 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=920746)

2. I used flashtool and flashed the .tft file and followed the onscreen instructions...

3. the flashing stops halfway cause i didnt enable usb debugging (?) and it causes my phone to be unable to boot up and trauma for me for panicking for 30 minutes. ._.

I tried flashing again with USB debugging on..?
My version is now 2.3.3 after I restored with SEUS, however.

07/046/2011 18:46:02 - INFO - Flashing adsp.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:05 - INFO - Flashing kernel.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:07 - INFO - Flashing amss_fs.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:07 - INFO - Flashing fota1.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:08 - INFO - Flashing fota0.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:09 - INFO - Flashing apps_log.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:09 - INFO - Flashing amss.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:19 - INFO - Flashing cache.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:20 - INFO - Flashing system.sin
07/046/2011 18:46:44 - ERROR - Error flashing. Aborted
07/046/2011 18:46:44 - INFO - Now unplug the device and power it on
07/046/2011 18:46:44 - INFO - Then go to application settings
07/046/2011 18:46:44 - INFO - turn on Unknown Sources and Debugging

( after that resulted in the same problem as before but luckily I knew how to fix it again.. ._. )

Last edited:

Dousan

Aug 9, 2010
Copenhagen
It might be that you're not using the latest version of flashtool, it's 0.2.9.1 and it's the beta one and afaik it's the only one to support the play.

Regards Dousan...

LemonPlusTea

Jun 18, 2011
It might be that you're not using the latest version of flashtool, it's 0.2.9.1 and it's the beta one and afaik it's the only one to support the play.

Regards Dousan...

I see.. Cause I thought beta might not be stable!
Thanks alot! Time to go try again ^_^

EDIT : Same error with the newest flashtool.. ._.

Crapp...
I unpacked the 0.2.9.1 and ran the X10 Flash Tool... and it still doesnt like me.. :(

It seems it hates me more and more..
now instead of even starting flashing after i send my phone into flash mode it gives me this error..
ERROR - USB\VID_0FCE&PID_ADDE\5&1F015A4B&0&5

Triple edit : Now Im back to square one of flashing till system.sin and getting an error.. ._.

Last edited:

Dousan

Aug 9, 2010
Copenhagen
I see.. Cause I thought beta might not be stable!
Thanks alot! Time to go try again ^_^

EDIT : Same error with the newest flashtool.. ._.

Crapp...
I unpacked the 0.2.9.1 and ran the X10 Flash Tool... and it still doesnt like me.. :(

It seems it hates me more and more..
now instead of even starting flashing after i send my phone into flash mode it gives me this error..
ERROR - USB\VID_0FCE&PID_ADDE\5&1F015A4B&0&5

Triple edit : Now Im back to square one of flashing till system.sin and getting an error.. ._.

Maybe it's a corrupt download or the unpacking of the .zip/.rar file went bad. Could try a reunpacking or/and redownload?

Regards Dousan...

LemonPlusTea

Jun 18, 2011
Redownloaded the flashtool 2 times and the generic UK ftf 3 times already.. could it be my computer's problem?

TheBassman369

Dec 2, 2010
Redownloaded the flashtool 2 times and the generic UK ftf 3 times already.. could it be my computer's problem?

I know back in my Galaxy S days the firmware tool Samsung used worked on one of my computers but didn't work on the other. I would try another computer if you had access to one.

LemonPlusTea

Jun 18, 2011
I know back in my Galaxy S days the firmware tool Samsung used worked on one of my computers but didn't work on the other. I would try another computer if you had access to one.

Alright, I'll try it with my sister's laptop ^^..
Entire day has been miserable without my apps... :l

Dousan

Aug 9, 2010
Copenhagen
When flashing, have you ticked the 'erase data' (I'm not sure it's the exact name) or are you flashing without erasing? Cus it looks like that's where the error occurs when it's supposed to flash the data?

Regards Dousan...

ncaissie

May 15, 2011
Did you install the Sony software from your phone first?
Mine needed it to get the drivers. It said it had errors but I let it go for a while and it finished no problem.

LemonPlusTea

Jun 18, 2011
When flashing, have you ticked the 'erase data' (I'm not sure it's the exact name) or are you flashing without erasing? Cus it looks like that's where the error occurs when it's supposed to flash the data?

Regards Dousan...

Yeah I checked the erase data box all the time...

@ncaissie, im not entirely sure what you mean... Would you mind explaining?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think ncaissie ment the pc companion software that installs onto your pc from your phone. Its in settings > sony ericsson > connectivity > install pc companion . Tick the box and install it when you next connect your phone, it will install the drivers pc companion needs then try using flashtools again?

Im running window 7 x64 and all i did was install seus used it to reinstall 2.3.3 a fresh on the phone. Then used flashtools to flash 2.3.2, rooted then did ota update no errors or problems.
    1) its up to you, it is possible to upgrade with root as long as you have any model except a r800 x

2) I dont think either is better just depends on what you want to do to your phone

3) It depends what you mean by complete. There will probably be a stable version that is better than the stock rom eventually, but im not a dev

Ota means "over the air" and a kernel if im not mistaken is the part of the phone responsible for managing sysyem resources and the like. Not that I know much about anything and I could be wrong lol :)

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

So should I update?

This will be my second numbered answer today. Anyway:

1) What model do you have? I assume it's an r800i or r800a. If it is, I would head over to the development section and check out how to get the UK generic firmware on your phone without unlocking the boot loader. I did that, rooted it, then updated to 2.3.3 and removed a lot of bloat and it's good to go now.

2) I have unlocked the boot loader on every Android I've owned, but I haven't on this phone. I wouldn't until development takes off a little bit more. It will soon, but I probably won't even do it then, personally.

3) Yes, we have great people working on it. It's progressing majorly with each update.

Just next time search before posting...nah, I'm just kidding. Welcome to Android.

OTA means you are updating the firmware on your phone through your phone over wifi.
    If you didn't remove the boats you can still do it by pressing the software update button on your phone. Just make sure that your bootloader is is still LOCKED.

No, when 2.3.4 comes out it would probably be available to generic uk before any other versions. As long as you freeze and not remove boats, you would be able to ota update to 2.3.4