[Q] Cracked screen

Search This thread

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
To be fair, the newer tempered glass screen protectors protect EXTREMELY well from drops. I work for Best Buy in a large city. I sell anywhere from 15-30 phones a day (and see hundreds of them) and have only actually seen one phone shattered through a Zagg Glass (out of at least a thousand examples) and the one that broke was dropped from a 2nd store balcony.
My girlfriend dropped her iPhone maybe 3-4 feet onto concrete, it had a tempered glass protector and the whole front was destroyed.

Ally Android

Nov 18, 2014
www.droid-turbo.com
Personally, I don't like screen protectors. I've known plenty of people who dropped their phones and shattered the screen and they would say, "But I had a screen protector!" A screen protector does not guarantee that your screen won't shatter when you drop it. So IMO, it is a high margin add-on that the industry has tried to convince the consumers that they can't live without it.

Tunameltsalad

Feb 28, 2013
Chiming in just because.

I work in a fabrication shop. Terrible place for a smartphone because of all the metal shavings, grinding dust, hot metal, spatter etc etc, plus its the ballistic nylon variant so it would easily melt if any hot sparks or spatter hit it. I had my phone for about a week and a half and I keep my phone in my back pocket. I went to pull my phone out and it slipped out of my hand mid-pull and flew about 10 feet, hit a metal table and bounced off the ground. I never had a chance to get a screen protector or a case so the phone was completely naked. Luckily nothing happened except a dent on the side of the phones bezel. I left it in my truck until I got it properly protected. Those metal shavings are a ***** though due to the magnets in the speaker collect all kinds of metal shavings.

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
My girlfriend dropped her iPhone maybe 3-4 feet onto concrete, it had a tempered glass protector and the whole front was destroyed.

Terrible luck :( I can't even count the number of phones I have seen saved by those things.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Personally, I don't like screen protectors. I've known plenty of people who dropped their phones and shattered the screen and they would say, "But I had a screen protector!" A screen protector does not guarantee that your screen won't shatter when you drop it. So IMO, it is a high margin add-on that the industry has tried to convince the consumers that they can't live without it.

The old style screen protectors were designed for scratch protection only. The tempered glass ones are specifically designed to absorb the impact and shatter so that your phone doesn't. They are pretty damn effective at it I have only seen one single phone break through one of them (and I see at least 10 broken glass screen protectors every single week.)

ccheww

Nov 6, 2010
San Francisco
Is the tempered glass one the flexible glass one that is 24.99 from Verizon? I want to make sure I have a tempered glass screen protector to protect against shattering... The Verizon rep threw the box away for my screen protector and the only knowledge i have is that its the flexible glass one for that price.

Sent from my XT1254

BlueArcher

Oct 26, 2013
Is anyone else noticing that this screen is VERY sensitive to scratching? I have used a lot of phones for periods of time without screen protectors. I am babying my Turbo the last few weeks and yet it has TONS and TONS of scratches, some of them are very deep and can be felt with my fingernail. I am not aware of any situations it has been in with sand or anything else that would cause them.

It already has 3-4x the amount of scratches from my friend's Nexus 5 which is much much older.

I finally installed a screen protector last night, but I am just shocked at this situation.

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
Is anyone else noticing that this screen is VERY sensitive to scratching? I have used a lot of phones for periods of time without screen protectors. I am babying my Turbo the last few weeks and yet it has TONS and TONS of scratches, some of them are very deep and can be felt with my fingernail. I am not aware of any situations it has been in with sand or anything else that would cause them.

It already has 3-4x the amount of scratches from my friend's Nexus 5 which is much much older.

I finally installed a screen protector last night, but I am just shocked at this situation.

Been carrying mine in my pocket, no case, no protector for nearly 2 weeks now and the screen doesn't have a single mark on it. That being said, I always keep it in its own pocket away from my keys or change

jeep364

May 20, 2012
Its a matter of luck. And as far as I can tell we are all pretty lucky to have a free replacement.

Sent from my XT1254

Is this for all owners of e Droid turbo? I recently purchased one during the black Friday deals and will be receiving it today or tomorrow.

I has read about the one time free screen replacement, but did not see anything about it when I purchased the phone. Is this automatic for all Verizon purchasers?

that1girl

Feb 28, 2015
I have the flexible glass screen protector from verizon on my 64g ballistic nylon with no case. Today while getting out of my car (a lowered vw golf) my phone fell off my lap on the the ground probably like only 2 feet from lap to the driveway. Screen completely shattered..... i thought gorilla glass 3 was supposed to be strong? Anyone else crack their screen yet? I know i get one free replacement but still i don't feel like the screen should have cracked this easily.

You are not alone I also have the gorilla glass no case.. and have managed to break my screen as well, sitting on a step of my front porch, also like you not far of a drop. but I picked it up thinking I would be able to just "peel" off the protector and think all is well but to my disappointment, my screen shattered.. Very sad and rather upsetting. So, I will go in and get my replacement... And already have a case on the way.

rianneves

Feb 24, 2015
I cracked mine while in my back pocket swinging on a balance in the park and had to pay for another one (moto maxx XT 1225 Brazil) and they gave me a new one. I droped it two days ago while running and scratched the plastic around it.

david870325

Jan 23, 2015
You aren't alone. I broke mine drunkenly Friday night, the night after release. Took it into the store Saturday night and got a replacement in the mail on Tuesday. The one time replacement is nice, but had to use it in less than 48 hours. They said I was the first one and they hadn't actually been trained on it yet. So they learned that night lol

The phone trully need a screen protector

BeSalecker

Mar 8, 2013
New York
Are the "Like New" replacements really like new? I'm pissed that my phone fell and cracked but I don't want a phone that may have some kind of other damage that is not visible from the outside.

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Are the "Like New" replacements really like new? I'm pissed that my phone fell and cracked but I don't want a phone that may have some kind of other damage that is not visible from the outside.

Sometimes. If stock is low, you will get new instead. If using insurance, anyway.

mmmehl67

Mar 13, 2015
Am i the only one who has cracked mine though? Has any one else dropped theirs yet? Crack or no crack upon dropping? just curious

Mine fell off the kitchen table onto linoleum floor last night and the glass cracked from top to bottom. I didn't notice until today. I had a Motorola Droid Mini for 2 years and dropped the phone a lot but the glass never broke. I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the glass they used.

facter2552

Dec 1, 2016
can you tell me how to get a replacement

I have the flexible glass screen protector from verizon on my 64g ballistic nylon with no case. Today while getting out of my car (a lowered vw golf) my phone fell off my lap on the the ground probably like only 2 feet from lap to the driveway. Screen completely shattered..... i thought gorilla glass 3 was supposed to be strong? Anyone else crack their screen yet? I know i get one free replacement but still i don't feel like the screen should have cracked this easily.

:good: I dropped my turbo it didn't break the screens GLASS but it has cracks under neath.