• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] CWM - Deleting Blob directory?

Search This thread

clockwork58

Dec 10, 2007
Toronto
I tried to Google and couldn't find the correct answer I was looking for.

In the ClockworkMod directory, There's 2 folders: Backup and Blobs

The blobs folder has now grown to 1.33GB and contains 6233 files.
Can I clear out this folder?

I had 4 backups in the backups folder and deleted 2 older ones, to help free up 600MB.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: Rstgo

Evil Alex

Mar 11, 2012
No, you can't. Or your back-ups will no longer work. The blobs are most of the back-up. Storing it this way means you can make incremental back-ups rather than all of them being stand-alone. Certain back-ups will share blobs, saving you space.

It's annoying, and it would be great if you could choose the stand-alone method or the blobs-method. But you can't.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: germa89

clockwork58

Dec 10, 2007
Toronto
Thanks EvilAlex,

But if I am happy with my current phone state, I could then delete them all the files in the blob folder plus the files in the "backup" folder and just create a new backup in CWM correct? [basically starting fresh]

Evil Alex

Mar 11, 2012
Yes, you could do that. I did so just a few days ago. The back-ups I still had were obsolete. Still, just to be sure, I moved the back-ups to my SD card, just in case. Might be a good precaution for you, as well.

Reactions: clockwork58

taiber2000

Feb 27, 2012
as i use CMWR backups before i use to install new ROM only (and one after successful stable phone) what i use to do is move the "gonna be" obsolete to my backup hdd in my pc and then create new backup. if everything is good and i want to backup again i do the same. so i only left with one backup in hand. the apps i backup via titanium backup, so i need the CWMR backup only for really ****ed up situations.

djxyon

Oct 3, 2015
Yes, you could do that. I did so just a few days ago. The back-ups I still had were obsolete. Still, just to be sure, I moved the back-ups to my SD card, just in case. Might be a good precaution for you, as well.

My back-ups were old and obsolete, I do not need them more.
There is a folder 'd41' inside 'blobs'(clockworkdmod/blobs/d41), I cannot delete them, even blobs folder(deleted failed).
Even from PC, it says
"Cannot delete b41:The storage is write-protected.
Remove write-protection and try again."
Please help, sir. :confused: :confused:
Thanks..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried to Google and couldn't find the correct answer I was looking for.

In the ClockworkMod directory, There's 2 folders: Backup and Blobs

The blobs folder has now grown to 1.33GB and contains 6233 files.
    Can I clear out this folder?

I had 4 backups in the backups folder and deleted 2 older ones, to help free up 600MB.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    No, you can't. Or your back-ups will no longer work. The blobs are most of the back-up. Storing it this way means you can make incremental back-ups rather than all of them being stand-alone. Certain back-ups will share blobs, saving you space.

It's annoying, and it would be great if you could choose the stand-alone method or the blobs-method. But you can't.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda app-developers app