[Q] CWM Error - out of nowhere?

Search This thread

ashamir

Mar 3, 2008
Hey all,

I am flashing a new ROM in CWM 5.0.2.7. When I tried to do a standard nandroid backup, CWM says: "Error while making a backup image of /system!"

I tried to fix permissions, which didn't work. There is 900mb free on SD.

What can I do to fix this? Flash a new CWM?

Thanks in advance!

ashamir

Mar 3, 2008
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately ACS recovery does the same thing. It says "backing up system", the progress bar finishes, and I get the error.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
There not that big but cwm requires more than a gig of memory to preform it at least my backups are only like 700mbs total....if I remember correctly you need a minmum of 1 gig or more idk. If you need some space open the LOST.DIR folder and delete any of those #'d files like 820 2903 923 etc etc they are usless if you have any tha is.

Sent From My Cyan Samurai

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
There not that big but cwm requires more than a gig of memory to preform it at least my backups are only like 700mbs total....if I remember correctly you need a minmum of 1 gig or more idk. If you need some space open the LOST.DIR folder and delete any of those #'d files like 820 2903 923 etc etc they are usless if you have any tha is.

I must have a lot more apps than you, mine adds up to just under 1GB.

ashamir

Mar 3, 2008
This time I freed up 2gb and the same error came up. Never had a CWM issue before... Any other options?

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas
This time I freed up 2gb and the same error came up. Never had a CWM issue before... Any other options?

Reroot? Odin back to stock and reroot? Only other thing I can think of or odin in the recovery again?

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Just try reflashing CWM 5.0.2.7. If you continue to get the error, backup your sd card and reformat then restore everything.

androidmaster1

Nov 28, 2011
Try wiping cache/dalvik and then install it twice. See what happens. If that doesn't work, just do what kenny suggests.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

ashamir

Mar 3, 2008
Try wiping cache/dalvik and then install it twice. See what happens. If that doesn't work, just do what kenny suggests.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Tried this as well. No go.

I haven't used ODIN in ages - I just enable usb debugging, plug in the phone, and run ODIN on pc right? What boxes do I check or leave unchecked in ODIN?

Also, has there been an EI22 odin file released?

Thank you for all your help xda

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas

I haven't used ODIN in ages - I just enable usb debugging, plug in the phone, and run ODIN on pc right? What boxes do I check or leave unchecked in ODIN?

No stock ei22 tar as of yet so ec05 is your point just odin back to it place the pit file in and check pda and place the ec05 tar there and have auto reboot checked only. Hit start and wait for it :) about 2-3 minutes usually if it hangs on one for like 5 mins its not going to go through...
If you need help here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ2g6J1JgjU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!

No, you need to be in download mode. Phone off, hold the 1 key on keyboard then add pressing and holding the power button and it should go into download mode. Then you should be able to connect to computer with Odin running.

xjayman

Sep 2, 2010
let me know if you find solution....I have same issue
edit.... found solution, boot into CWR to make backup.....dont use rom manager. hope you didnt go all the way back to ec05 lol.

Last edited:

GRK4G63

CWM/ACSRecovery Error Message

OK Guys, I'm really really stumped on this one and I hope someone can help out.

I'm running the latest SleeperROM on MTD/YAFFS2 and the TW.MTD SEPPUKU kernel. I was getting an error in CWM 5 that wouldn't let me make nandroid backups at all. I'd go to start backing up and this would appear:

SD Card space free: 7444MB
Backing up boot image...
Backing up recovery image...
Backing up system...
Can't mount /system!
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I have no clue what's going on, so any help would be very much appreciated!

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
CWM should be able to mount system. That is your phone memory not your sd card. Try reflashing CWM 5.0.2.7.

Reactions: GRK4G63

GRK4G63

Reflash = no go

CWM should be able to mount system. That is your phone memory not your sd card. Try reflashing CWM 5.0.2.7.

I just reflashed CWM 5.0.2.7 and tried a backup. No dice, I'm afraid. Still getting the same exact error message. :confused:

Update: I went to the Mounts and Storage menu and tried a "mount /system"
It came back with "Error mounting /system!"

I'm gonna have to ODIN back to stock and re-do everything, aren't I?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes it sounds like it. I would also check repartition and use the PIT file.

I think I figured it out:

I ODIN'd back to EC05, did the OTA to EI22, rooted, flashed CWM 5.0.2.7 and did a test nandroid backup. Worked like a charm.

So...when I was experiencing that system mount error...I was on MTD/YAFFS2. I'm on BML/RFS now and it's working OK. So I guess the copy of CWM 5 I was using isn't MTD compatible??

Sounds like it... after you convert do not flash any other recoveries... the mtd rom will install the recovery you will need... stick to that one and that one only!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk