[q] CWM: "invalid boot image header" - how to make a backup now??

brooon

May 11, 2009
Hey Folks! :)

I´m with CM7 now for several weeks and i´m quite happy with it! Just for my personal interest I wanted to give WP7 a try, so I´m very interested in the possibility to make a full backup of my Android System with Clockwork Recovery (where it is possible to get a full working ROM file including all data and apps, isn´t it?)

But here´s the problem now: as soon as I want to use CW (point 9: AD Recovery), it says das there´s an "invalid boot image header" and I can´t use any of CWM´s functions. It seems like this is based on the fact that I´ve installed Rom Manager and updated my CW with it, ignoring (or more "not knowing") that this can only by used when having clk installed and NOT Magldr...

The question for now is: what possibilities do I have now to make a full backup of my system, including all data, all programs, dictionaries and settings I made? Are Titanium Backup/BackupEverthing the only two ways to get out of this chaos? Has anybody some experience with those apps? Will everything work again after a fresh ROM install?

:(:(

malybru

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee - Lead
Staff member
Aug 16, 2006
London
Hey Folks! :)

I´m with CM7 now for several weeks and i´m quite happy with it! Just for my personal interest I wanted to give WP7 a try, so I´m very interested in the possibility to make a full backup of my Android System with Clockwork Recovery (where it is possible to get a full working ROM file including all data and apps, isn´t it?)

But here´s the problem now: as soon as I want to use CW (point 9: AD Recovery), it says das there´s an "invalid boot image header" and I can´t use any of CWM´s functions. It seems like this is based on the fact that I´ve installed Rom Manager and updated my CW with it, ignoring (or more "not knowing") that this can only by used when having clk installed and NOT Magldr...

The question for now is: what possibilities do I have now to make a full backup of my system, including all data, all programs, dictionaries and settings I made? Are Titanium Backup/BackupEverthing the only two ways to get out of this chaos? Has anybody some experience with those apps? Will everything work again after a fresh ROM install?

:(:(
Hi,

Rom Manager only works with cLK.
If you use it with MAGLDR ,it will screw up your CWM.
Unless you made a NAND backup before you started all of this ,you are, indeed, in deep doo-doo... :(

If you now go and try to re-install clk or magldr,it will wipe your rom,data etc.
Your only hope to save your data now,is something like Titanium Backup,or similar.

Once you re-install clk or magldr,flash CWM partition for your new ROM and flash ROM,everything will work again,but obviously without your data and settings.Titanium Backup will back up and restore apps and data to a degree,but not as well as a NAND backup.
Try and re-install a similar rom to the one you have now.Then restore Titanium backup,then make a NAND backup,to protect you against any future folly...

:)

golagha11

Nov 23, 2009
Oslo
Explain please

Thank you for your help! :)

I´ve tried to get into the SD magldr CWM version again...and finally, I won! :)

I was able to make a backup of my Android...it´s flashing-time now ;)
Could you please explain how you(won) managed to fix "invalid boot image header" I would also like to take a backup, but facing the same problem. Thanks a lot.
And I am newbe in this "game".
PS! I have installed this ROM : TyphooN CyanogenMod 7 Nightly v3.3.2

john0902

May 29, 2006
Can't dd do something?

I have the recovery partition image file that came with the DAF flash tool:

# ls -l /mnt/sdcard/r*
----rwxr-x 1 system sdcard_r 4005888 Mar 26 00:38 /mnt/sdcard/recovery-raw.img

The recovery partition is mtd1:

# cat proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00100000 00020000 "misc"
mtd1: 003e0000 00020000 "recovery"
mtd2: 00500000 00020000 "boot"
mtd3: 09600000 00020000 "system"
mtd4: 00500000 00020000 "cache"
mtd5: 30000000 00020000 "userdata"

Can't the partition be fixed somehow with dd?

I tried:
# dd if=/mnt/sdcard/recovery-raw.img of=/dev/mtd/mtd1 bs=4096
978+0 records in
978+0 records out
4005888 bytes transferred in 0.982 secs (4079315 bytes/sec)

But no luck.

akshan

Sep 29, 2008
Could you please explain how you(won) managed to fix "invalid boot image header" I would also like to take a backup, but facing the same problem. Thanks a lot.
And I am newbe in this "game".
PS! I have installed this ROM : TyphooN CyanogenMod 7 Nightly v3.3.2
It worked for me:
unzipped the file to a directory - say ADRecovery
Then from MAGLDR
- Services
- Bootsettings
- AD SD Dir
- (choose folder with SD magldr CWM inside -ADRecovery)
Go back to main menu and select Boot AD SD

It came to the AD Recovery menu of MAGLDR.

Last edited:

john0902

May 29, 2006
I have the recovery partition image file that came with the DAF flash tool:

# ls -l /mnt/sdcard/r*
----rwxr-x 1 system sdcard_r 4005888 Mar 26 00:38 /mnt/sdcard/recovery-raw.img
This command got me back to the originally flashed working NAND recovery partition:

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-raw.img

This thread has more info on the issue, as well as downloads, etc.

The problem seems to that earlier recovery partitions were under 4MB and newer ones are around 5MB. My original partition config included this line:
recovery rrecov|ro|nospr filesize recovery-raw.img
Iow, it made the recovery partition the 'filesize' of the older recovery image size. Newer recoveries don't fit. If you want a newer recovery partition, you need to partition your NAND with a bigger recovery partition, or run the newer recoveries off SD.

VandaL.pr!

Oct 31, 2010
Zadar
It worked for me:
Then from MAGLDR
- Services
- Bootsettings
- AD SD Dir

Thx, simple and detailed explanation ;)

katalog

Jan 7, 2011
link is not working

It worked for me:
Then from MAGLDR
- Services
- Bootsettings
- AD SD Dir

Could you please share your link to sd magldr cwm once more - the link above doesn't work anymore...

thx

just managed to find a working link for sd magldr: link

Last edited:

Panda_Face

Nov 9, 2010
This error happened to me before, and it was fixed by restoring the CWM backup and then flashing the kernel via CWM before rebooting.

nupema

Feb 2, 2008
Margem Sul
It worked for me:
Then from MAGLDR
- Services
- Bootsettings
- AD SD Dir

Hi! The "file" link doesnt work.. could anyone help plz?