[Q] CWM not working right on new MT

Search This thread

garrmack

Dec 4, 2011
I'm having all kinds of trouble with my MT. I originally flashed CM7 from stock with CWM after wiping factory and cache. The flash errored out the first time, but worked the second time. The gapps install errored out so I just tried rebooting without stock google apps. The phone just booted to the Motorola logo and didn't go any farther. I let it sit for over 20 minutes and no go.
I had made a backup so I went back to CWM to restore the phone. Again, I did a factory and cache wipe, ran the restore, rebooted, but now the phone boots to Motorola logo, then reboots into CWM. So weird!

I have a theory that it has something to do with a hardware problem. When I try to flash another rom (besides cm7) the screen goes blank (no text) and then goes back to the root menu. I tried booting to CWM then plugging it in and removing the battery but after an varied amount of time the phone shuts off.

I've searched and searched and I can't find where anyone's had a problem like this and NOT been able to get the phone back. I'd like a solution, but I'd also like to know if i'm the only one who's had this problem!

thanks!

Last edited:

garrmack

Dec 4, 2011
Never mind

I got it working! I tried a different battery in it and it worked! I'm not sure if it was the battery or I just did the right combination of things, but I'm glad to be back! But for anyone who is having the same issue here's what I did:
Running CWM 5.0.2.6
1. Wipe factory/cache/davlik
2. format sd card
3. shut down
4. use pc to copy stock nandroid backup from androidforums (google "stock triumph restore")
5. boot back to CWM,
6. restore the backup and reboot, should work
**IF you have md5 checksum error, use adb via usb to run these commands and immediately try to restore again:
adb shell
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-06-29.20.22.53
# rm nandroid.md5
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
# exit
**Make sure to unmount the sd card before restore.
Again, I really don't know if it was battery or not, but I tried this before changing batteries and it didnt work!

Last edited:

garrmack

Dec 4, 2011
But wait, there's more!

Ok, now that I'm able to get back to stock, I'm still unable to flash any custom roms. I wipe/factory reset, format /system, then install update from sd card. When I confirm the update, the screen goes blank (no text), then goes back to the main menu! It does this with any rom!

Any help?

Haro912

Jul 27, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ok, now that I'm able to get back to stock, I'm still unable to flash any custom roms. I wipe/factory reset, format /system, then install update from sd card. When I confirm the update, the screen goes blank (no text), then goes back to the main menu! It does this with any rom!

Any help?

You want to choose zip from sd card. Not install update

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium

garrmack

Dec 4, 2011
Yep, 5.0.2.6. I just tried CM7 .04 beta because I have a friend who flashed it successfully on his MT. When I ran it it said it was installing for maybe 4 seconds and then said complete. When I rebooted all I got was the Motorola logo.

I just got this phone. Is it possible that Motorola changed something with the hardware to make it not work?

garrmack

Dec 4, 2011
I've managed to get CWM running a little more stable by replacing the boot.img file with the one from CM7, but all I get when I run the zip is this:

-- Installing /sdcard/CM7.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...

Install from sdcard complete.

that all takes about 6 seconds and I get just the motorola logo when I reboot.

It still goes blank (no text) when I try to flash any other rom (like stockROM) so something is definitely screwy.

Last edited:

garrmack

Dec 4, 2011
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I have a friend with a Triumph who successfully flashed cm7. I looked at his phone and found that the model number on his is WX345 while mine is WX435. Maybe my version really does have issues with clockwork?

garrmack

Dec 4, 2011
figured it out! It had something to do with the sd card. I was using a 16gb class 10 PNY card. I put the stock 2gb back in it and it worked like a charm. Don't know if it was a defective card or the phone/clockwork just didn't like it.

vizionforever

Sep 7, 2008
Eoregon
Bay PONY...Noticed that my pny class 10 16gb was slower(or just took longer to mount and search for media, cause it's bigger) than the 16gb samsung class 2 that came with my epic...Dunno; but glad to hear CWM works! now you can switch back cards ;)
PS. what root method u use command line or gingerbreak?