[Q] Cyanogen and 2.3.4 GTalk Video Chat

Search This thread

jgariano

May 2, 2011
My wife uses an unrooted G2. She likes using Google Talk video chat on her computer. She would love to be able to use it on her phone, even without a front facing camera. I've read elsewhere that Cyanogen has started incorporating 2.3.4 and Video Chat into the nightly builds for the G2. I'm hesitant to root and flash her phone with the current nightly build, since I don't to risk giving her an unstable phone that has broken other features she used to using.

What's the rule of thumb for jumping to a CM build in a case like this? Do you wait for a "stable" build to be posted? If so, about how long it take from the time they start incorporating the stuff you want into nightly builds before it becomes stable (a week, a month, etc)?

ilostchild

Dec 7, 2009
just do a nandroid of current rom then flash latest build anf give it a try, some builds are pretty stable aand have lot of fixes with current issues, if bad and have issue you can wipe and restore

Spastic909

Dec 28, 2010
Or use tango or fring... or search for the apk that has the updated video chat incorporated

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA Premium App

jgariano

May 2, 2011
I tried tango and fring, but neither of them work with the desktop browser version of google talk video chat. We've got the whole extended family on gtalk vc, so in order for video chat on the phone to be value added, it has to work with that. Thanks though.

Spastic909

Dec 28, 2010
Just root, download the google talk 1.3 flashable zip, flash with rom manager or in recovery, all done.

I haven't seen the zip in the g2/dz forums but I found it through google...

mrant

Mar 25, 2011
Just root, download the google talk 1.3 flashable zip, flash with rom manager or in recovery, all done.

I don't think gtalk 1.3 will work on anything before 2.3.3. At least that's what I have been reading. I got it working perfectly on CM 7.0.2 by flashing the new gapps version.

--MrAnt--

Reactions: jgariano

Spastic909

Dec 28, 2010
Yeah I haven't used froyo in a while so I just assumed. Word

jgariano

May 2, 2011
I don't think gtalk 1.3 will work on anything before 2.3.3. At least that's what I have been reading. I got it working perfectly on CM 7.0.2 by flashing the new gapps version.

--MrAnt--

How's the stability of 7.0.2? Any significant bugs? Also, I see that 7.0.3 is now in the list of stable builds -- were there be any reason for me not to flash that instead of 7.0.2?

nashwing

Nov 20, 2007

--MrAnt--

On the G2? I'm running #65 with latest (05032011) gapps with talk 1.3... Can't/Don't see a way to establish video or voice chat... I've checked the block for enable video/voice calls, but only can text chat...:confused:

Last edited:

mrant

Mar 25, 2011
On the G2? I'm running #65 with latest (05032011) gapps with talk 1.3... Can't/Don't see a way to establish video or voice chat... I've checked the block for enable video/voice calls, but only can text chat...:confused:

I did push a new googleservicesframework.apk while trying an alternate method. That just gave me force closes when trying video of audio. I flashed the same gapps as you and it stopped force closing and I get two way audio and video.
I'm running CM 7.0.2 with pershoots kernel on a G2.

Jgariano,
7.0.2 is perfectly stable for me. No problems to speak of. I read the only change in 7.0.3 is a security fix, so no major changes.

--MrAnt--

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

nashwing

Nov 20, 2007
I did push a new googleservicesframework.apk while trying an alternate method. That just gave me force closes when trying video of audio. I flashed the same gapps as you and it stopped force closing and I get two way audio and video.
I'm running CM 7.0.2 with pershoots kernel on a G2.

Jgariano,
7.0.2 is perfectly stable for me. No problems to speak of. I read the only change in 7.0.3 is a security fix, so no major changes.

--MrAnt--

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

Hmmmm, I wonder if I need to flash a googleservicesframework.apk as well... I don't have any options for video, and the audio link is greyed out, although it if pushed, it says 'calling' but doesn't really do anything. There is no video option at all, and when viewing my status from another g-mail account, it doesn't show the video camera icon.

:confused:

Sandyman538

Nov 30, 2010
Hmmmm, I wonder if I need to flash a googleservicesframework.apk as well... I don't have any options for video, and the audio link is greyed out, although it if pushed, it says 'calling' but doesn't really do anything. There is no video option at all, and when viewing my status from another g-mail account, it doesn't show the video camera icon.

:confused:
I have the same 'problem' with google talk. Everything works fine except the video calling. I can't select it. (When i open talk and then click on my own name, there isn't a box i can check to accept video calling).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

--MrAnt--