[Q] Deleting a file with "write protection"...

Search This thread

XyonNYC

Jan 23, 2009
New York
I have this folder (with files from a download) that I have tried to delete from the phone storage (not the external SD Card).
No matter the method attempted, I keep getting:
"Cannot delete folder: The storage is write-protected.
Remove the write-protection and try again".

I've tried many ways on the phone itself (through Root Explorer...and I did make sure the RW is active), debugging has been tried on as well as off, etc...
Through the PC (Win7 SP1) as well (debugging on and off for this too). All drivers work for the phone, and no other problems. Can easily transfer files from the computer to the device.

I'm stock rooted with overclock kernel (but don't keep it overclocked).

I don't want/need this folder/files. Its not a system folder/file. I have moved it into my 'download' folder just to keep an eye on it. If I try to 'move it' to the external card, all it does is 'copy'.

Any and all helpful information would be greatly appreciated, as this is driving me nuts trying to delete this thing.

:)
~Xyon

Last edited:

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
When I come across a suck folder like that I open the folder and delete each file one-by-one. Then delete the empty folder.

For persistent files I've had to change the file extention to delete it.

madman604

Jul 14, 2007
I copied all my files to PC and had to format my card. Then I re copied all the files to the card.

Nothing I did could save it.

Edit I read incorrectly. Its your internal card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

proxhack

Jun 2, 2007
Silicon Valley
I have the same issue...the internal sd card is giving me a write protection error.

Any way to fix it without doing a full wipe?

Thank you!

MoonBlade

May 1, 2012
Mumbai
Why not backup ur important sd card commponents to ur PC , then goto custom recovery do internal/external sd card full wipe and then restart ur phone ! it worked for me. the restore all ur backup files.

kovkou.sk

Mar 24, 2011
I have this folder (with files from a download) that I have tried to delete from the phone storage (not the external SD Card).

I've tried many ways on the phone itself (through Root Explorer...and I did make sure the RW is active), debugging has been tried on as well as off, etc...
Through the PC (Win7 SP1) as well (debugging on and off for this too). All drivers work for the phone, and no other problems. Can easily transfer files from the computer to the device.

I don't want/need this folder/files. Its not a system folder/file. I have moved it into my 'download' folder just to keep an eye on it. If I try to 'move it' to the external card, all it does is 'copy'.

Any and all helpful information would be greatly appreciated, as this is driving me nuts trying to delete this thing.

~Xyon

Acutally I just solved it with really easy way on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I was studying formus for 2 hours and not one answer or advice helped :) So I did this:

1. turned off USB debugging in developers menu
2. after connecting my phone to pc I switched the phone to behave as media device (MTP) and not as camera (PTP) (in notification bar there will be "connected as a media device/as a camera" option after connection to PC - click on it and swtich it)
3. now everything works like a charm and I can delete and write to the SD card without a problem :)

tash1210

Dec 13, 2014
Acutally I just solved it with really easy way on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I was studying formus for 2 hours and not one answer or advice helped :) So I did this:

2. after connecting my phone to pc I switched the phone to behave as media device (MTP) and not as camera (PTP) (in notification bar there will be "connected as a media device/as a camera" option after connection to PC - click on it and swtich it)
3. now everything works like a charm and I can delete and write to the SD card without a problem :)

It does not work your idea

albx7

Jan 11, 2016
open the phone then remove battery, (without switching off the phone) after you removed battery remove sd card also, and wait for 10seconds and put in sd card again, put battery too and switch on your phone, after this u can delete everything u couldn't. Hope it works for you too.

kattak13

Oct 17, 2016
When I switch to media device than when I click on "phone" or "card" when I click, it says, device has stopped working or been disconnected.
Help!

Reactions: shmartian

hrishi.s.90

Nov 28, 2016
1. Flash A Recovery ( I recommend TWRP).
2. Then Go to Advance >> File Manager.
3. Browse the File/ Folder you wanna delete.
4. Open the folder and go to option's (the blue coloured box with a tickmark).
5. Select Delete, and Swipe To Confirm.
(This procedure is for TWRP. Procedure may be different, depending on your recovery)

sachuathul

May 5, 2018
How to delete systems read only files in samsung galaxy A5.?? Tried deleting by root explorer.. but not possible.. showing read only file cannot be deleted

vessto74

Nov 8, 2017
Sofia
What when the files are on internal? I have similar issue and cannot delete neither via Android nor when attach phone to PC.

danielm298

Apr 7, 2011

Thank you!!! i have the NEW Samsung S21 Ultra. was trying to figure out how to delete some music since i have 2 music folders on my phone: what i did was ...when u plug the phone to the computer it asked you what do u want to do? Transfer, USB tethering, MIDI, Transferring images or Charge phone only: i had it in Transferring images.. all i did was tap Transferring files/Android Auto and WALA!!!! folder Deleted!! Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

~Xyon

When I switch to media device than when I click on "phone" or "card" when I click, it says, device has stopped working or been disconnected.
    Help!