[Q] Difference in Nook Color hardware?

Search This thread

vesati

Mar 30, 2006
www.vesati.com
I've rooted and re-flashed three original Nook Colors so far, one being my own, all with CM7.1 and all with no problems. A friend of mine brought me his and asked if I could root and flash his too, but he bought one of the newer Nook Color 2.

As far as I can tell, the stock firmware is different, and the internal hardware is a bit different. I've been searching this forum and elsewhere for two weeks now, and can't find a definite answer. CAN I root and re-flash his newer Nook Color, or is it not possible yet?

If it is possible, can someone point me at a guide please?

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Just to be clear: You mean a newer a NOOKcolor with the new screen hardware, and NOT a NOOKtablet, right? There's a big difference.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Start reading through the NOOK Tablet threads. Totally different animal in terms of rooting and loading alternate firmware. Due to the locked bootloader on the NT, things are taking longer than usual, but progress is being made daily. There are bootable SD options, but they are still alpha.

vesati

Mar 30, 2006
www.vesati.com
Thanks for the info. I've got plenty to look over it seems.

Sadly, from what I've read so far, my buddy is SOL for the time being.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Well, you can still root it and get a lot more functionality over stock. Believe me, once he sees the paltry offerings available in the B&N App store, he'll be screaming for escape from the Walled Garden. Put a door in for him. He'll appreciate it.

I'm perverse enough to rather like the B&N 1.4.1 interface, so I'm running my NOOK color on B&N firmware (rooted, of course). Once I jump out to an alternate launcher, there's not a huge difference. There are performance tweaks I'd like to have from CyanogenMod, but the device is definitely improved.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Some NT owners might have to correct me but I glanced through the NT room and have seen that with version 1.4.1, side-loading feature was removed regardless of virgin or rooted. Reports that we must downgrade to version 1.4.0 to regain that capability.