[Q] Disable My Magazine Shortcut?

Mackcbr954

Nov 13, 2013
Traverse City
Deleted My Magazine after root

I deleted My Magazine after I rooted as it was annoying me to death. Now TouchWiz crashes, so I'd rather have My Magazine installed, but can't figure out how to do this....any help?

Fifth313ment

Oct 10, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I figured it out! I started playing around with the app for a while, and I didn't realize everything it could do. I think I may keep it there now, but for those who don't want it, press the home key on the home screen to open My Magazines. Once it's open press the menu key. Go to settings. Then un-check "Open using the home key". :D

EDIT - Oh, and of course that is just to disable the home button from opening it. I haven't figured out how to disable the swipe up yet, but I'm looking for it.
Thanks bro! :good: I wish I could get rid of it and flipboard altogether!

5th

Last edited:

cL0uD`

Jun 11, 2011
Also want to get rid of this thing, would be perfect to replace this swipe up with google now or sth else..
But thx for the home button hint, at least that doesn't bother anymore =)

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Any progress with this, rooted so I can do what I need too to replace. Want to use LMT launcher on the bottom.
Wanam with xposed replaces the home button one.

You can turn off the home button in the my magazine settings.

I uninstalled my magazine, but I also use adw launcher. Set my swipe up feature ti open Google now.

There are a lot of other ways, but if rooted and rom'd, tinker a bit, you'll get rid of it one way or another.

Sent from any phone that isn't made by Apple.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Ha! I froze my magazine with tibu and it didn't crash TW but it crashed my stock email app if I pulled down the notification drawer. If I tried to swipe away or open the email from there it would crash 100% of the time so i had to d defrost my magazine. So ghetto.

tyhill

Jan 17, 2014
My Samsung Mag has never really worked right. NEVER!

My Samsung Mag has never really worked right. NEVER! Seems that they just threw it together at the last minute.

ryanrazer

Dec 12, 2011
Koper
www.droidviews.com
I rooted and was trying to remove apps I didn't want... On trying to use the My Magazine app, it had no options to disable the shortcut. I have since deleted Flipboard and My Magazine, but the swipe motion to bring up My Magazine instead brings up the Google Play store and the phone saying it can't find the app.

I was wondering if there's any way to disable the shortcut (swipe up from the home button) completely or if there's a way to remap it? I have tried looking in the options to no avail and it's a minor inconvenience I would ideally like to get rid of or (failing that) remap it to Google Now. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Try using this app.. it is great. it replaces swipe up -my magazin to home function. so when you swipe up it will act as a home key press (it will take you home). So you get 2 things, you get rid of MyMagazine AND you extend life of your Home key :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree&hl=en

djangosteen

Sep 7, 2013
Jakarta
Try using this app.. it is great. it replaces swipe up -my magazin to home function. so when you swipe up it will act as a home key press (it will take you home). So you get 2 things, you get rid of MyMagazine AND you extend life of your Home key :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree&hl=en
You save my life!

EDIT: Ok this app is really good, but the 'Ongoing Notification' app makes it worse! i don't like to ruin my notification bar space because of this. already tried to uncheck show notification but it shows up every few hours by itself.

Another idiot question: Do you know how to re-map the Home button? seems like gonna use it for Google Now app.
The home button on Menu screen that used for My Magazine before.

Last edited:

tankaer

May 28, 2011
Nova Launcher effectively hides My Magazine

I installed Nova Launcher (free). Seems to offer 99% of the Touchwiz features, plus a lot more. It is certainly faster as well. Got rid of the ridiculous my magazine activation (upswipe/home button).

You do not need root for it, and for the most part, it will look/feel the same.

Temporary work around for my personal Note 3. Still waiting for a response from Samsung support.
Agreed. After trying to get rid of My Magazine for the last few days and reading all of the posts I finally installed Nova and it's great. Has all of the Touch Wiz features but feels a lot more light weight and has great customization.
Thanks for the advice.

kTreb

Aug 13, 2010
I can't stand my magazine either, nova launcher works great, wish Wanam didn't get rid of double tap multitasking though.