• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Do I have to flash a specific Kernel before flashing CM 10.1??

Search This thread

kareemgonna

Jun 4, 2012
Alexandria
I'm wondering if I have to flash a specific Kernel before flashing custom roms ( CM specifically ). My device is P3110 running stock 4.1.2 . Any help will be much appreciated, thanks guys.
Edit: Does flashing the CM Rom zip file flash the newest CM kernel or should I flash it manually?

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
I'm wondering if I have to flash a specific Kernel before flashing custom roms ( CM specifically ). My device is P3110 running stock 4.1.2 . Any help will be much appreciated, thanks guys.
Edit: Does flashing the CM Rom zip file flash the newest CM kernel or should I flash it manually?

You never want to flash a kernel before flashing a rom because the rom will over write the kernel when it installs its own. If you want a custom kernel flash it right after flashing the rom.

All roms come with their own kernel.

Sent from your phone. You should be careful where you leave that thing.

kareemgonna

Jun 4, 2012
Alexandria
Thanks

You never want to flash a kernel before flashing a rom because the rom will over write the kernel when it installs its own. If you want a custom kernel flash it right after flashing the rom.

That's exactly what I needed to know, I have another android device ( Xperia mini pro ) and every time I need to install a custom rom, I have to flash its kernel first. Here it seems like flashing the rom via recovery also flashes the kernel. Thanks for the help appreciated.

Galaxy Tom

Aug 7, 2013
The CM zip file has everything it needs. You just need to have a recovery ROM to be able to install CM from recovery. Additionally, you might want to reset various things from recovery before installing CM. Notice that if you reset the internal sdcard you will lose all your data (which might or might not be what you want).

Reactions: hackervin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The CM zip file has everything it needs. You just need to have a recovery ROM to be able to install CM from recovery. Additionally, you might want to reset various things from recovery before installing CM. Notice that if you reset the internal sdcard you will lose all your data (which might or might not be what you want).