• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Does anybody uses Volley to send http request in Xposed module?

Search This thread

coom

Apr 21, 2015
Volley is an HTTP library that makes networking for Android apps easier and faster.

We need to set the context before sending requests, according to nameless-technology.blogspot.com /2013/11/custom-system-service-using-xposedbridge.html, my testing code was:

Code:
public void handleLoadPackage(XC_LoadPackage.LoadPackageParam lpparam) throws Throwable {
   protected void beforeHookedMethod(MethodHookParam param) throws
            Throwable {
        Context context = (Context) param.getResult();
        RequestQueue queue = Volley.newRequestQueue(context);
        StringRequest stringRequest = new StringRequest(Request.Method.GET, url,
                new Response.Listener<String>() {
                    @Override
                    public void onResponse(String response) {
                        msgs_g = response;
                    }
                }, new Response.ErrorListener() {
            @Override
            public void onErrorResponse(VolleyError error) {
                msgs_g = "That didn't work!";
            }
        });
        queue.add(stringRequest);

However, when the module was loading, there's an exception:

Code:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.android.volley.toolbox.Volley.newRequestQueue(Volley.java:45)
	at com.android.volley.toolbox.Volley.newRequestQueue(Volley.java:105)
	at com.android.volley.toolbox.Volley.newRequestQueue(Volley.java:115)
	at xptest.tk.xpvolley.Sendoh$1.beforeHookedMethod(Sendoh.java:61)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.handleHookedMethod(XposedBridge.java:611)

C3C076

Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
From code you provided it's not clear what method exactly you are hooking. But some remarks, anyway:
- are you sure original method returns context?
- I'm not sure whether using getResult() in before hook is a good practice, as you are basically asking for a return value when method was not executed, yet.
You should try after hook instead

coom

Apr 21, 2015
From code you provided it's not clear what method exactly you are hooking. But some remarks, anyway:
- are you sure original method returns context?
- I'm not sure whether using getResult() in before hook is a good practice, as you are basically asking for a return value when method was not executed, yet.
You should try after hook instead

@C3C076 Thanks for your reply.

I just modified the code from `beforeHookedMethod` to `afterHookedMethod`, at this time, I got nothing in my log.

What I want to hook is the function `dispatchSensorEvent` in the `android.hardware.SystemSensorManager$SensorEventQueue` class. Actually I don't whether this method returns context, thanks for reminding me.

Finally I used `AsyncTask` with `DefaultHttpClient` to get the data from the web site, I still use `beforeHookedMethod`.