[Q] Does my Note II suffer from the Sudden Death Syndrome?

Search This thread

BleuZ

Oct 26, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi guys,

I have a GALAXY Note II (GT-N7100) that was manufactured on 1/1/2013 and it's starting to freeze up several times a day (screen unresponsive, not responding to button presses even though the capacitive buttons light up (I do have several videos of this). Odd thing is, though, that I do have a "sane" chip according to the eMMC Brickbug Check app even though my type is VTU00M. Does this have to do with my firmware revision (0xf7 instead of 0xf1)? Is my device still at risk using this firmware, or does firmware not matter and is my device 'doomed' anyway?
Some people have already suggested that it might be a kernel-related issue, yet the problem occurs on stock 4.3 (NL locale), stock 4.4.2 (French locale) and CM11 (official nightly).

Because of consumer protection laws in Europe, I still have warranty until 1/1/2015 so I will try to get my device fixed. I'm not sure if it's Sudden Death Syndrome, but several sources on the internet state that regular freezes and random reboots do predict a failing eMMC chip.

Thing is, I can get it checked this monday but since I'm leaving on a trip this tuesday, I need my phone with me so if it needs to get fixed, that will happen after that trip.

I can upload some videos about its weird behavior if that's requested/necessary. Thanks in advance!

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
If you revert your phone to stock, use it as barebones as possible and the issues still present themselves, you should definitely get a warranty repair.