[Q] Does the S5 have FM radio

Search This thread

boothie

Apr 19, 2015
Phoenix
Activate FM Radio Chip News?

I rooted the SM-G900V (Verizon Galaxy S5) in the hopes of accessing hidden menus to possibly make the fm radio chip active. Rooted, check. Upgrade to Lollipop 5.0, check. Access to /system/efs/carrier/HiddenMenu to change from OFF to ON, save and exit... failed. No such file [HiddenMenu] in that directory.

Anyone know if exposing hidden menu would get access to activate the fm radio chip? Anyone know where the /HiddenMenu file could have went to? As a side note, HiddenMenu is in that directory in my SM-P905V (still on KitKat), but pretty sure SM-P905V doesn't have an fm radio chip... If it did, I would listen to the fm radio on SM-P905V.

My quest is because I am too cheap to pay for more bandwidth (one day of streaming NPR is easily 1 Gig), the NPR app isn't displaying the local KJZZ station, even when I have WiFi/bandwidth available for streaming. I tried a few streaming apps, but KJZZ/NPR wasn't in the list. Finding the fm radio chip is my last and best resort and really my first preference anyway.

Any updates would be of great interest to me! Thanks!

boothie

Apr 19, 2015
Phoenix
Access FM chip?

ADDITIONAL RESEARCH:
The SM-G900V has:SoC:Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AC.

Snapdragon should have the broadcom chip Broadcom BCM4354 Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) 5G WiFi 802.11ac / Bluetooth 4.0 / FM Radio Module.

Key Features

The Broadcom BCM4354 is a dual-band combo chip for smartphones and tablets that supports 5G Wi-Fi 2x2 MIMO, Bluetooth (BT) 4.1/BLE, Rezence wireless charging support and FM radio receiver. Highlights include:

867 Mbps PHY rate/80MHz channel bandwidth
SDIO 3.0 and low-power PCIe host interfaces for WLAN; UART and USB for BT
Android, Windows and Chrome-based operating systems support
Low Density Parity Check Codes (LDPC), Space Time Block Coding (STBC), TurboQAM™ and high-accuracy indoor location

With the chip accessible in a small number of phones, some carriers like Sprint and AT&T have included the software layers that allow developers to access and activate the chip. Any app developer can access the FM chip to add the feature to a mobile app.

Android phones including the Galaxy S5 are notorious for using Broadcom combo chips w/ FM radios. The FM radios are known for not only receiving but also transmitting between 68-108 MHz however I could not find a decent signal transmitting between 68-108 MHz. The phone is splattering signals all over the spectrum from 30 MHz to 169 MHz and the best signals Ive found so far are in the VHF-Air band specifically 118 MHz and 121 MHz.

I haven't found anything indicating the software layer that provides access to the FM Chip. Learning...

Attachments

• fmchiplinks.txt
    2 KB · Views: 345

justcouse

Jun 19, 2015

The SM-G900F also has: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AC.

To get FM radio working for me is only external stick 820T2&SDR with RF Analyzer software.

Last edited:

__-_-_-__

Nov 23, 2011
Xiaomi Mi CC9 / Mi 9 Lite
which versions of the galaxy s4 actually has functional fm radio? is it the only the sm-g901f ? only the version sold by sprint usa (and virgin (uses sprint network) have fm radio? or all the sm-g901f has it? any mods to activate on other versions?
thanks you for any help.

Sep 2, 2015
S5 - no radio!!!!!!!!! Outraged!!!!!!!!!!

I'm shocked! Radio, obsolete? Who came up with that nonsense? Why would I want to pay for Radio, when I can just get it for free? It's all about making money, that's all. That's the only reason why they dropped it. Sorry, I sound like my dad who believes that anti-virus companies create all the viruses (which isn't true). But telling me that radio is obsolete? Say what you want, but for a phone that costs this much, not to have a built-in radio is ridiculous. I've always spoken very highly of Samsung, but for the first time in a long time I'm actually considering not upgrading to a Samsung. There is no excuse for this...

Reactions: adeptustech

darkman088

Dec 13, 2008
Guys, more bad news on that - LG is joining Samsung - no radio on the LG G5, was just checking on GSMarena

fauxpax

Apr 29, 2016
Samsung J5 does have the radio!

My daughter's J5 (J500FD), which is a newer but midrange headset, is equipped with a radio receiver, so Samsung didn't quite drop the idea of good ol' radio all together.

Maybe Samsung thinks that if you buy a flagship model, you can afford mobile data? ;)
I myself can't, having to pay 3$ for 1 Gig.

Reactions: quanqw

pxp3

Jul 31, 2013
I recently bought a S5 Neo only because it has radio.

And I recommend it. Same performance as the S5 but with radio and 8-10 hours battery.

Reactions: adeptustech

kenrico

Apr 2, 2011
Have used the radio with Next Radio at the drive in .. and for some football games -- which was a nightmare under tune in radio because all local streaming was blocked ..

Sprint S5 MM 6.01

Kenny

abdomedj

Oct 30, 2015
perhaps you should actually read the rest of your thread or at least take a glance at the app's webpage before saying things like this
http://nextradioapp.com/faq/

Everyone here who has a Sprint S5 (900p) has confirmed the existence of a functional FM receiver inside their phones
anyway here's the nextradio apk ripped from my sprint phone, from what I hear it probably won't work in any other US carrier's phone as they disabled the chip
I'm in Algeria and nextradio work for me so good
I have Samsung Galaxy s5 g900p
Thanks.

The FM Saga

I'm shocked! Radio, obsolete? Who came up with that nonsense? Why would I want to pay for Radio, when I can just get it for free? It's all about making money, that's all. That's the only reason why they dropped it. Sorry, I sound like my dad who believes that anti-virus companies create all the viruses (which isn't true). But telling me that radio is obsolete? Say what you want, but for a phone that costs this much, not to have a built-in radio is ridiculous. I've always spoken very highly of Samsung, but for the first time in a long time I'm actually considering not upgrading to a Samsung. There is no excuse for this...

The FM radio receiver has been an evolution of sorts over the years and a subject of controversy. It seams now, that the FM Radio fiasco is coming full circle. Most carriers originally had phones with working FM receivers with the exception of only a few. Those were the days of 2010 - 2012. Then the greedy corporate conglomerated decided to eliminate them in order to generate data fees as from 2013 - 2015 not very many consumer in the US had unlimited data.

What it could be compared to
It was kind of the same thing where those in my age range grew up with FREE TV broadcast. Some people today still don't know that you can tune into FREE TV. But like the mobile radio in your phone, cable TV and Satellite providers came along and slowly convinced us all that we had to pay for TV programing delivery.

Greed because ....
I say greedy corporate conglomerates from the fact that mobile phone cost between $50-170 to manufacture. The later of $175 being the flagship (supersmart) phones costing $600-$700. This is why Samsung has dozens of models in production and marketed at any one time in all price point with every conceivable grouping of hardware specs to meet the needs and imagination of every user. They do this because it is so cheap to make new models and helps them steal away market share at every price point level and is a good way to dilute the market and confuse the consumer with literally hundreds of models. These manufacturers would like us to believe they are barely making a profit but are in fact making money hand over fist with financial statements to prove such.

How could they charge and profit for something that was free
Most consumers didn't have unlimited data then since in the US, adding it would cost $60-80 over and above your already $40-50 service bringing the monthly bill of 1 handheld to about $120.month. Since 2015 we have seen a move to and competition with unlimited plans. Those plans being between $45-60 (depending on throttling terms) and free data while streaming music/video have been competitively marketed since then. Not having FM receiver enabled cause everyone who could not afford unlimited data to go over and have to purchase additional if they wanted more when normally they would have reverted to FM broadcast.

The Change
Because of carriers clamoring for consumer and offering media streaming packages, the days of making money on bandwidth are nearing there end. Carriers have found out that they and advertisers are more interested in getting media in the consumers hand and making money on advertising than they are on charging for the delivery. Also, coupled with improvements in bandwidth and better efficiency of networks timing transmission cycles, its not as critical as it was say two years ago.

For these reasons I always though it was better to purchase from companies that had a decent product at a decent price that didn't operate so greedily like T-mobile, Sprint and Virgin mobile or most of the MMO and buy devices like Early Nexsus's, OnePlus, Blu, but more importantly, ones that still offered FM receivers like Motorola, Sony Lenovo Some HTC's and LG's but that's just me.

My Experience
I have found that some of the mid to value phones still had their FM radio enabled. My Galaxy Grand Prime FM is working. I would say that carriers and manufacturers realized that those buying lower end phones would be less likely to purchase large amounts of mobile data just to listen to music.

Now the end of the circle.
The Galaxy S7 has working FM
http://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s7-s7-edge-gained-fm-radio-latest-update-690893/

I read somewhere that some S7's were enable from the beginning. I imaging more will come with FM enables just in time for the industry to go digital and re-purpose or reassign the analog signal bands to another industry.
I would love to have the FM working on my S5 but have gave up on the notion that I will ever have a device where everything works perfectly the way I want it.

Last edited:
Clifnote version of previous post

Had to look that one up in the Urban Dictionary since I have seen it before but never used on me.
So for anyone else .....

Taken from the Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl;dr
tl;dr
Literally, "Too long; didn't read"
Any over wordy thread or long drawn out story that people don't want to really read, but reply to anyway.

Also a form of trolling or humorous reply telling some one to get to the point.

Really translates to: I'm too lazy to read the entirety of what you said, but I still want to say something.
1. The inability to accept, understand or pay attention to information when not separated by a header.
2. The ability to arbitrarily read 400 small posts but not a long one.
3. A sign of ADD or lack of reading capability.
4. A very cheap response and an indication of lack of wit.
5. A sign that, not only is someone too lazy and stupid to read but, clearly, too lazy and stupid to even type out four words indicating such.

I will admit it was pretty long. It took me 3 min. and 5 seconds to read. I'll have to edit it.

The S5 has a physical FM tuner in it. Period

Not sure what the point was in mentioning something so obvious as this. Everyone in this thread at this point KNOWS the S5 chip has a tuner, which is not remotely the question or what this thread was about. I am pretty sure you not only did not read my post above but probably didn't read any of this thread or not much at all.

If you want me to get to the point, here is a condense version of my previous post:
1. Many phone originally had FM tuners or receivers
2. Manufacturers and carriers got together and disabled them to make profit on data. Basically making money out of thin air on something that was always free greedily bleeding money out of consumer pockets that they were not entitled to in the first place.
3. Some Mid to value phones always had the FM tuner enabled thus highlighting the profit driven business model to turn something FREE into a profit center.
4. This is no longer the order of the day since the industry is changing and has been ever evolving and changing.
5. Since this is no longer the case some manufacturers like Samsung have begun to move back to enabling the FM receivers due to consumer backlash and demand.
6. Since it is no longer profitable to deny consumers of a hardware feature such as FM tuning, this trend will probably continue till ..... just in time for FM's inevitable switch to digital. How ironic.

Last edited:

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
Had to look that one up in the Urban Dictionary since I have seen it before but never used on me.
So for anyone else .....

Taken from the Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl;dr
tl;dr
Literally, "Too long; didn't read"
Any over wordy thread or long drawn out story that people don't want to really read, but reply to anyway.

5. Since this is no longer the case some manufacturers like Samsung have begun to move back to enabling the FM receivers due to consumer backlash and demand.
6. Since it is no longer profitable to deny consumers of a hardware feature such as FM tuning, this trend will probably continue till ..... just in time for FM's inevitable switch to digital. How ironic.

because you went into a monumental diatribe about other phones and how cell providers have limited access to the fm radio. Its in the S5. Its there on all snapdragon models. Is access blocked on some? apparently so. is a 5 paragraph thesis necessary to help anyone on this topic? not even slightly.

The reason i "replied anyway" is because its obvious from skimming your post that youre either severely bored or in need of medication to keep you on one topic.

If the FM radio is blocked on a phone, all that is needed is root and or a kernel, not 5 paragraphs complaining about the companies doing it and why theyve done it. Thats fodder for another thread.

scottyjge

Jan 10, 2017
I can tell you what Samsung told me on the phone when I called them about this very problem. Samsung says the S5 does contain a FM reciever on board but in my case Verizon has it disabled.

Just my two cents.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because not all countries have 3G connections and cheap mobile data plans....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
    What's even more funny is how some people still care about phones having FM radios in 2014. :laugh:

What's even more funny is how some people still care why some people care about phones having FM radios in 2014
    Since you can buy a tiny portable FM radio for 5 quid in any electronics shop these days, I don't see the point in wasting my phone's battery on it.

If your phone support FM radio, will you still bring the other portable radio for saving few % battery?

in one day, if all the phones are not support calculator app, don't you think buy a portable calculator is a perfect solution?
    Lets list out some of pro's of having an FM radio.

1) During the event of an emergency, such as tornado or whatnot, internet services and cell-phone towers are down, yet broadcasters continue to broadcast. Good luck getting an internet connection when your town has been devastated, and you're looking for a relief center.

2) Motorcycles. Yes, most, if not all cars have FM radios. Motorcycles do not. When I'm out and about riding my bike, I like to receive live traffic alerts.

3) You may have FM already. Most phones already contain FM radios within a 4-in-1 chip. Broadcom and TI pushed out the majority mobile chips found in phones, and the most common chip is a 4-in-1 that has WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and FM Radio on a single wafer. So if your phone already has the hardware, why wouldn't you want it enabled?

4) Battery life. The FM radio barely uses any battery whatsoever because it doesn't have to tax the CPU to decode bitstreams. So a benefit of using the FM radio is extended battery life.

5) Phone stays cooler, reference point #4. Less CPU usages means less heat. Meaning you don't have a pocket warmer.

6) Sporting events and broadcasting licensing. Yep, not everything can be streamed (legally) due to license regulations.

7) Smart phones should have everything. You're a nerd/geek/techie and you want everything. Why have limits? Even a laser and ultrasound sensor would be great for measuring distance, temperature and other possibilities.

8) New music exposure

9) Cost of production - Reference point #3, they're already on most chips. And you can buy FM module chips at retail for $1.00, very inexpensive feature for carriers to implement.

10) When your phone becomes so obsolete that not even the WiFi is secure anymore because of weak encryption, well at least your phone has a usable radio!

11) You don't have to use it. You hate anyone else that uses it because you're better than them, so you can exercise your superiority by not using the radio feature. It's always better to over-saturate data providers anyways right? Only the cool kids buffer

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 AM ----------

Oh, and the S5 does NOT have FM Radio available:

"Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically – focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption. "

They want you to spend more money on data usage.

So on that note, just because DTH, cable & IP televisions are wide spread, should Samsung produce its future TV’s without a tuner for Terrestrial reception? Sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong; especially in a disaster situation.