[Q] Does the S5 have FM radio

Search This thread

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
I can tell you what Samsung told me on the phone when I called them about this very problem. Samsung says the S5 does contain a FM reciever on board but in my case Verizon has it disabled.

Just my two cents.

yup. youre right. your carrier disabled it, and thats what i was getting on about. In order to enable it, all you need is root, possibly a kernel and the app

TL : DR

The S5 has a physical FM tuner in it. Period

I know it has a physical tuner and anybody that can look up specs knows this, period. I never mentioned it didn't. The fact that you posted TL DR and then posted Something irelevent that didn't answer anybody's questions is what is hard to understand. My post basically revolved around why is it disabled in after installing A custom rom on a rooted Galaxy S5 is it still not working since you say all is needed is a kernel or rom. Apparently your information is incorrect. Your user ID .... well, ...... makes one go .... hmmmmmm. I'm thinking that your user ID is what you think of everybody in this community

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

yup. youre right. your carrier disabled it, and thats what i was getting on about. In order to enable it, all you need is root, possibly a kernel and the app

I am rooted on a Galaxy S5 with kayanoGen. Mod A couple of them tuner apps and FM receiver still does work. I'm assuming it has something to do with and o my the kernel not enabling access to the hardware as one FM app suggested when I tried to run it. Impossibly cyjanoGen. Mod 13 does not have the proper kernel somehow.

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-11-2018 at 11:57 PM ----------

I suppose what I was really previous the needing to know, which nobody is willing to point me in the right direction, which is how do you get the proper kernel and/or install it in a rooted phone that will enable of the FM receiver? Can somebody point me to at least a tutorial and structions on where to start? I am sure somebody could dig up some links in about 10 or 15 seconds where would take me an hour to search since I don't know the proper the specific words to search.

Last edited:

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
I know it has a physical tuner and anybody that can look up specs knows this, period. I never mentioned it didn't. The fact that you posted TL DR and then posted Something irelevent that didn't answer anybody's questions is what is hard to understand. My post basically revolved around why is it disabled in after installing A custom rom on a rooted Galaxy S5 is it still not working since you say all is needed is a kernel or rom. Apparently your information is incorrect. Your user ID .... well, ...... makes one go .... hmmmmmm. I'm thinking that your user ID is what you think of everybody in this community

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

I am rooted on a Galaxy S5 with kayanoGen. Mod A couple of them tuner apps and FM receiver still does work. I'm assuming it has something to do with and o my the kernel not enabling access to the hardware as one FM app suggested when I tried to run it. Impossibly cyjanoGen. Mod 13 does not have the proper kernel somehow.

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-11-2018 at 11:57 PM ----------

I suppose what I was really previous the needing to know, which nobody is willing to point me in the right direction, which is how do you get the proper kernel and/or install it in a rooted phone that will enable of the FM receiver? Can somebody point me to at least a tutorial and structions on where to start? I am sure somebody could dig up some links in about 10 or 15 seconds where would take me an hour to search since I don't know the proper the specific words to search.

Necrothread anger? Anyways, since it's a Samsung specific chunk of hardware that cm apparently doesn't care about, try MOAR(mother of all roms). It's a TouchWiz based rom that basically has everything most folks need, suck as the correct kernel. And if you don't get the pun of my alias, then it applies to you directly. Doofus... LoL!!!

Reactions: AndroidCommander
Necrothread anger? try MOAR(mother of all roms). It's a TouchWiz based rom that basically has everything most folks need, suck as the correct kernel.

Necrothread anger, No. I don't consider this a nechro thread yet as the S5 is still viable hardware for use. I'll check into MOAR, since I've never heard of it.

Samsung specific chunk of hardware that cm apparently doesn't care about
Apparently you must not be a Samsung fan. And whether CM or their Current morph, lineageOS community cares about Samsung S series flagship devices or not is debatable. They always did cater to flagship Devices from manufacturers such as Samsung, Motorola, LG, which was the bread-and-butter of the community that wanted root and customization, that didn't have it from the start like one plus and pixel. If you look at the Galaxy S5 specs it still beats mid level devices that were just introduced this year for the most part. Is radios and network capabilities are still very adequate. While I do have a note8 that blows it away, I'm not gonna beat the heck out of my note8 on a construction site, A most of us don't have the cash to upgrade their phones every 6 months Especially since Samsung S series phones have increased $200 a year for 2 straight years in a row to where Samsung now decides that their $500 plus devices are now worth a $1000.
This was just a few extra sentences of rhetoric so that you can post TL;DR ..... LOL

Last edited:

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
Necrothread anger, No. I don't consider this a nechro thread yet as the S5 is still viable hardware for use. I'll check into MOAR, since I've never heard of it.

Apparently you must not be a Samsung fan. And whether CM or their Current morph, lineageOS community cares about Samsung S series flagship devices or not is debatable. They always did cater to flagship Devices from manufacturers such as Samsung, Motorola, LG, which was the bread-and-butter of the community that wanted root and customization, that didn't have it from the start like one plus and pixel. If you look at the Galaxy S5 specs it still beats mid level devices that were just introduced this year for the most part. Is radios and network capabilities are still very adequate. While I do have a note8 that blows it away, I'm not gonna beat the heck out of my note8 on a construction site, A most of us don't have the cash to upgrade their phones every 6 months Especially since Samsung S series phones have increased $200 a year for 2 straight years in a row to where Samsung now decides that their $500 plus devices are now worth a $1000.
This was just a few extra sentences of rhetoric so that you can post TL;DR ..... LOL

Cm doesn't care at all about making everything on a Samsung work and they never have which is why some folks abandon cm ROMs, because they want everything to work...

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Apparently you must not be a Samsung fan.

actually im a huge samsung fan. wearing a gear S3 frontier currently that ive had since shortly after launch and have a Galaxy A8 amongst many other sammy devices that ive had over the years, and the A8 is vastly superior to the S5 in several ways.

also your rhetoric falls into the NI : DR (not interesting, didnt read), even tho i actually did read it. also read youre previous one, just thought it was lame

Last edited:

imzjustplayin

Sep 11, 2013
From what I've read over and over, unless you have a G900p or some other variant (there are two) you're not going to get a working FM radio on an S5. Something about a very small hardware change that makes enabling the FM radio impossible on the other platforms. There is no rom, kernel, etc. that will ever be able to enable the FM radio on those units. This issue has been discussed ad nauseum to the point that the conclusion was that it wasn't going to get unlocked.

However, as an ATT customer, I was determined to get a Galaxy S5 that had an FM radio so I bought a G900P (Sprint) and went through the painstaking process of unlocking and rooting it. One of my favorite phones aside from the screen not working in the cold weather. I can enable LTE to work on ATT but the only snag is that if I lose LTE signal, I'll be downgraded back to 4g and it won't reconnect to LTE unless I specifically tell it to. I use shortcut master (lite) to access these functions. There were some other issues that required tweaking but in the end the phone is 95% of what I wanted.

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
From what I've read over and over, unless you have a G900p or some other variant (there are two) you're not going to get a working FM radio on an S5. Something about a very small hardware change that makes enabling the FM radio impossible on the other platforms. There is no rom, kernel, etc. that will ever be able to enable the FM radio on those units. This issue has been discussed ad nauseum to the point that the conclusion was that it wasn't going to get unlocked.

However, as an ATT customer, I was determined to get a Galaxy S5 that had an FM radio so I bought a G900P (Sprint) and went through the painstaking process of unlocking and rooting it. One of my favorite phones aside from the screen not working in the cold weather. I can enable LTE to work on ATT but the only snag is that if I lose LTE signal, I'll be downgraded back to 4g and it won't reconnect to LTE unless I specifically tell it to. I use shortcut master (lite) to access these functions. There were some other issues that required tweaking but in the end the phone is 95% of what I wanted.

wrong. every S5 variant (there are about 9 actually listed here Versions: G900F (Europe), G900I (Asia, Australia), G900M (Vodafone), G900A (AT&T), G900T (T-Mobile), G900W8 (Canada), G900K/G900L/G900S (Korea) found here https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php) has a fm chip in it, just many mfgs have chosen not to have that app functionality included in their firmware as it requires a bit in the kernel for it to work from the mfg. AT&T isnt too known for being super customer friendly, at least in that era, and custom roms that utilize touchwiz are based on stock kernels from the carrier/mfg, if the kernel didnt allow for the fm radio to work stock, the likelihood of a dev figuring it out is VERY low

oops totally disregarded the second part of your post. heres the thing about the g900p, its built to run on sprints cdma 3g network for voice and texting as well as low speed data and their own bands of LTE. Now, at&t uses completely different bands of LTE than sprint in most areas and the sprint G900P can be unlocked to be able to run on many domestic networks, but not all and the FCC doesnt force sprint to make them THAT cross compatible. Firstly, LTE is just a marketing term for 4G that was coined in the midst of customers not knowing what the 2g to 3g thing even really did, so marketers decided that LTE (long term evolution) should be used as its different enough that they thought they could fool cdma users that they were on to something completely new even tho it was just good ol GSM 4g data. And in that time, there was a huge battle over which was superior, cdma or gsm. CDMA lost that battle in a hilariously huge way and the beginnings of that was the concession of cdma carriers using gsm for their data. SOOOOOOOOO, carriers who knew that there was now a cross compatibility between their networks now where it was physically impossible before were keen on hampering their phones from being used as much as possible but still complying with the FCC (cell phone carriers are dirty a$$holes like that). So, the sprint a$$holes decided to make a firmware for their proprietary radios allow them to work on at&ts older HSPA+ network, but not their newer 4G network. To be honest, im shocked you got LTE to show up at all. Matter of fact, i seriously doubt that it was actual LTE at all, but your phone showing that symbol erroneously which is 10,000 times more likely as the bands at&t uses arent active in G900P models from the factory. There is a thread on activating all the bands, but its a mind numbing PITA and requires you to be on a very specific factory ROM/Kernel. Short story, good luck with that. Just sell it and go buy a more current phone that also has a FM radio in it from one of the hundreds of MFGs that sell GSM only phones that will work for you, give you 4G faster than HSPA+, are cheaper and far more functional than an aging S5

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibuprophen

arana1

Oct 27, 2011
Redmi Note 9
I am one of those who like my devices having FM Radio and IR blaster, I dont want/like all my home applinces to be "smart", still I can remote control my tv, AC, Audio and some more with my IR enabled phone, also I dont always have DATA, so FM radio is a nice thing to have, I remember some devices from Verizon (not sure if verizon sprint, just 100% sure it was one of those 2) had the FM removed, while the device was FM Tuner capable they physically cut the FM ability in order to get their online music app more users (and use more DATA of course), I verified this because I used it in one device from ATT and when I tried to use it on the same devices from this other company (same android version also) it was not possible even with same apps installed, it was a physical cut in one of the board circuits.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because not all countries have 3G connections and cheap mobile data plans....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
    What's even more funny is how some people still care about phones having FM radios in 2014. :laugh:

What's even more funny is how some people still care why some people care about phones having FM radios in 2014
    Since you can buy a tiny portable FM radio for 5 quid in any electronics shop these days, I don't see the point in wasting my phone's battery on it.

If your phone support FM radio, will you still bring the other portable radio for saving few % battery?

in one day, if all the phones are not support calculator app, don't you think buy a portable calculator is a perfect solution?
    Lets list out some of pro's of having an FM radio.

1) During the event of an emergency, such as tornado or whatnot, internet services and cell-phone towers are down, yet broadcasters continue to broadcast. Good luck getting an internet connection when your town has been devastated, and you're looking for a relief center.

2) Motorcycles. Yes, most, if not all cars have FM radios. Motorcycles do not. When I'm out and about riding my bike, I like to receive live traffic alerts.

3) You may have FM already. Most phones already contain FM radios within a 4-in-1 chip. Broadcom and TI pushed out the majority mobile chips found in phones, and the most common chip is a 4-in-1 that has WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and FM Radio on a single wafer. So if your phone already has the hardware, why wouldn't you want it enabled?

4) Battery life. The FM radio barely uses any battery whatsoever because it doesn't have to tax the CPU to decode bitstreams. So a benefit of using the FM radio is extended battery life.

5) Phone stays cooler, reference point #4. Less CPU usages means less heat. Meaning you don't have a pocket warmer.

6) Sporting events and broadcasting licensing. Yep, not everything can be streamed (legally) due to license regulations.

7) Smart phones should have everything. You're a nerd/geek/techie and you want everything. Why have limits? Even a laser and ultrasound sensor would be great for measuring distance, temperature and other possibilities.

8) New music exposure

9) Cost of production - Reference point #3, they're already on most chips. And you can buy FM module chips at retail for $1.00, very inexpensive feature for carriers to implement.

10) When your phone becomes so obsolete that not even the WiFi is secure anymore because of weak encryption, well at least your phone has a usable radio!

11) You don't have to use it. You hate anyone else that uses it because you're better than them, so you can exercise your superiority by not using the radio feature. It's always better to over-saturate data providers anyways right? Only the cool kids buffer

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 AM ----------

Oh, and the S5 does NOT have FM Radio available:

"Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically – focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption. "

They want you to spend more money on data usage.

So on that note, just because DTH, cable & IP televisions are wide spread, should Samsung produce its future TV’s without a tuner for Terrestrial reception? Sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong; especially in a disaster situation.