[Q] Does the S5 have FM radio

Search This thread

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
I know it's probably not ideal, but there's an app called Tune In radio. You can listen to local stations, as well as stations from all over the world.

I take it you didnt read my post, the app is not even "not ideal" its useless.

Its no subsitite as it transmits digital not analogue radio.

FM requires no data signal, uses far less battery, and will play analogue radio.

I have a S5 on the way but this issue has really annoyed me, I will have to use my old galaxy ace to play radio (as probably will sell the S3), its stupid a £700 phone has no radio.

Reactions: koragg97

l.f.hant

Mar 2, 2015
According to gsmarena, the S6 has FM radio: W W W .gsmarena.com/samsung_unpacks_galaxy_s6_and_galaxy_s6_edge_at_mwc_2015-news-11376.php

Too late for the S5, but looks hopeful for future Samsung Galaxy phones.

I'm still disappointed that nobody managed to unlock the - apparently - inbuilt FM radio in the S5 :crying:

apmos

Mar 17, 2011
SKG
According to gsmarena, the S6 has FM radio: W W W .gsmarena.com/samsung_unpacks_galaxy_s6_and_galaxy_s6_edge_at_mwc_2015-news-11376.php

Too late for the S5, but looks hopeful for future Samsung Galaxy phones.

I'm still disappointed that nobody managed to unlock the - apparently - inbuilt FM radio in the S5 :crying:

No, S6 does NOT have FM Radio. GSMarena is unfortunately wrong.

andyistic

Aug 17, 2013
www.chattermatrix.com
Radio on my S5 works.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Yep - definitely works. Both Wifi and Mobile data were OFF. Had to turn that back on to post this. The built-in radio also picked up the audio from my iPod via local FM transmitter intended for car use.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

I also want to add that there is noticible FM static which gets worse if the antenna (headset cable) isn't in an optimum position to pick up a strong signal. Radio is definitely in this phone.

Radio on my S5 works.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Yep - definitely works. Both Wifi and Mobile data were OFF. Had to turn that back on to post this. The built-in radio also picked up the audio from my iPod via local FM transmitter intended for car use.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

I also want to add that there is noticible FM static which gets worse if the antenna (headset cable) isn't in an optimum position to pick up a strong signal. Radio is definitely in this phone.
That's great but you forgot to mention which phone model you've got. Sprint?

Sent from my "Black Beauty" using Tapatalk

l.f.hant

Mar 2, 2015
Yes Sprint GS5. From what I read, only the Sprint varieties (including Virgin and Boost) allow FM radio. It's disabled in all other GS5's.

And therein lies the question: What disables it in all non-Sprint S5s - hardware or software? If the latter, is it possible to install the missing firmware/driver/whatever to get FM working?

andyistic

Aug 17, 2013
www.chattermatrix.com
Some say the antenna lead from the circuit is internally grounded, making it about impossible to undo.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

It wouldn't be software. A custom kernal and ROM would fix that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because not all countries have 3G connections and cheap mobile data plans....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
    What's even more funny is how some people still care about phones having FM radios in 2014. :laugh:

What's even more funny is how some people still care why some people care about phones having FM radios in 2014
    Since you can buy a tiny portable FM radio for 5 quid in any electronics shop these days, I don't see the point in wasting my phone's battery on it.

If your phone support FM radio, will you still bring the other portable radio for saving few % battery?

in one day, if all the phones are not support calculator app, don't you think buy a portable calculator is a perfect solution?
    Lets list out some of pro's of having an FM radio.

1) During the event of an emergency, such as tornado or whatnot, internet services and cell-phone towers are down, yet broadcasters continue to broadcast. Good luck getting an internet connection when your town has been devastated, and you're looking for a relief center.

2) Motorcycles. Yes, most, if not all cars have FM radios. Motorcycles do not. When I'm out and about riding my bike, I like to receive live traffic alerts.

3) You may have FM already. Most phones already contain FM radios within a 4-in-1 chip. Broadcom and TI pushed out the majority mobile chips found in phones, and the most common chip is a 4-in-1 that has WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and FM Radio on a single wafer. So if your phone already has the hardware, why wouldn't you want it enabled?

4) Battery life. The FM radio barely uses any battery whatsoever because it doesn't have to tax the CPU to decode bitstreams. So a benefit of using the FM radio is extended battery life.

5) Phone stays cooler, reference point #4. Less CPU usages means less heat. Meaning you don't have a pocket warmer.

6) Sporting events and broadcasting licensing. Yep, not everything can be streamed (legally) due to license regulations.

7) Smart phones should have everything. You're a nerd/geek/techie and you want everything. Why have limits? Even a laser and ultrasound sensor would be great for measuring distance, temperature and other possibilities.

8) New music exposure

9) Cost of production - Reference point #3, they're already on most chips. And you can buy FM module chips at retail for $1.00, very inexpensive feature for carriers to implement.

10) When your phone becomes so obsolete that not even the WiFi is secure anymore because of weak encryption, well at least your phone has a usable radio!

11) You don't have to use it. You hate anyone else that uses it because you're better than them, so you can exercise your superiority by not using the radio feature. It's always better to over-saturate data providers anyways right? Only the cool kids buffer

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 AM ----------

Oh, and the S5 does NOT have FM Radio available:

"Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically – focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption. "

They want you to spend more money on data usage.

So on that note, just because DTH, cable & IP televisions are wide spread, should Samsung produce its future TV’s without a tuner for Terrestrial reception? Sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong; especially in a disaster situation.