[Q] E:failed to mount /efs (Invalid argument)

Search This thread

Simauito

Jul 9, 2017
E: failed to mount /efs ( invalid argument)

guys im having the same trouble with my dad's samsung galaxy note 2 GT N71-00
Can somebody help a newbie here and can you help me step by step on how to download this toolkit and how to use this CWM so I can use this phone.. i really really need your help so bad:crying::crying::crying:
any help will be greatly appreciated.. cheers

Aljoscha23

Jan 12, 2011
E:failed to mount efs [nearly solved]

Thanks everyone for putting all the information together.

I followed the following instructions:

1. Flashed CWM recovery via ODIN.
  2. Applied fixed permissions in CWM recovery
  3. Opened the ADB shell
    Code:
    adb shell
  4. Ran the code
    Code:
    mke2fs / dev/block/mmcblk0p3
  5. The code
    Code:
    mount-w-t ext4 / dev/block/mmcblk0p3 / efs
    did not work
  6. Flashed Stock ROM (N7100DBTFEN1) from Sammobile.
  7. Reboot.

The Phone works again but now its showing the same box with systeminformation tcastel mentioned before.

I reflashed CWM recovery and wiped all chache, dalvik, etc. Applied factory reset as well - but without success - box is still there.

Anyone has any other ideas?

Aljoscha23

Jan 12, 2011
The Phone works again but now its showing the same box with systeminformation tcastel mentioned before.

I reflashed CWM recovery and wiped all chache, dalvik, etc. Applied factory reset as well - but without success - box is still there.

Anyone has any other ideas?

I was able to fix the factory mode (using CF-Auto Root and Root Explorer to modify the efs setting).

Unfortunately during all the process the IMEI has been lost. I do only have a generic IMEI starting with 0049 for Germany. Thus the phone is not able to register with the network.

spannernick

Feb 7, 2010
London
I repaired mine 3 days ago with BST I got it from ebay lucky for £30 cos they go for £99. Fixed my phone in 2 mins.MY Note2 N7100 had generic 0049.. IMEI on it, I live in the UK so if anybody wants theirs fixed PM me and I see what I can do,Of core you have to send your phone to me to fix.If its a EFS IMEI problem than I can fix it.

This is what I did to get my phone working again.. This is not me but I did the same thing with BST..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfLrUWp7mUQ

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you

I had the same issue last night my man - took me HOURS to fix it. In the end the solution was to boot into CWM and enter a few ADB commands on the PC:

Run an SU shell, then enter "mke2fs / dev/block/mmcblk0p3", then "mount-w-t ext4 / dev/block/mmcblk0p3 / efs"

This magically made the EFS partition mountable again. I then restored my EFS image, and wala all was good again.

But yes you are right, this is DAMN hard to fix (I had to trawl the internet for hours). A full wipe / odin stock rom flash / repartition does not solve the issue.

Thanks this tip was very helpful; I HAD this issue on my SGN2 and i tried all wip rom flashing i could find without success.
    I start CWM and I try to choose in advanced settings "fix permissions" + your command using cmd windows and ADB.

I just type the first command "mke2fs / dev/block/mmcblk0p3" because on the second one the shell could not find ext4

The phone started again without problem, thanks again:good:
    Thank you all for your replies but I am afraid that the only solution once this problem has happened is to return the phone to service. No matter what I have tried nothing worked so I ended up sending the phone away. If anyone finds themselves in my position my advice is not to waste any time on it...

I had the same issue last night my man - took me HOURS to fix it. In the end the solution was to boot into CWM and enter a few ADB commands on the PC:

Run an SU shell, then enter "mke2fs / dev/block/mmcblk0p3", then "mount-w-t ext4 / dev/block/mmcblk0p3 / efs"

This magically made the EFS partition mountable again. I then restored my EFS image, and wala all was good again.

But yes you are right, this is DAMN hard to fix (I had to trawl the internet for hours). A full wipe / odin stock rom flash / repartition does not solve the issue.
    Make a efs backup again a duplicate to be safe. Then flash stock rom again.
    And also do a cache and dalvik and data wipe.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
    maybe a funny question, but you may have missed the spot tho..
    Did you mount /efs using cwm and fix the permissions?
    If not give it a try. Then use cwm to restore efs. I would suggest philz touch anyways
    Download toolkit. Put img in backup folder and restore via toolkit.
    Btw where you in recovery while trying ?

Sent From Samsung's Galaxy Note II Using Internet

What TOOLKIT ?