• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] ENG S-OFF vs SHIP S-OFF

Search This thread

kalaker

Feb 23, 2012
I have searched all over and I cannot find an understandable answer to this question: what is the difference between ENG and SHIP S-OFF.

When I S-OFF'ed my Marvelc with the Goldcard method, I had SHIP S-OFF. I do understand that ENG S-OFF provides more features. It also seems that SHIP S-OFF is a radio patch and ENG S-OFF is an HBOOT patch. Is that correct?

To me, SHIP S-OFF seemed a lot like the HTCDEV bootloader unlock. I couldn't even access system.img or boot.img through fastboot (I had re-locked my bootloader with theq86's tool, but still had SHIP S-OFF.)

W

Wolf Pup

HTCDev is way more limited. ENG is short for engineering. Therefore, you must have an ENG HBOOT to have ENG S-OFF.

Sent from a Time Lord, using his TARDIS.

heavy_metal_man

Nov 6, 2011
answers

I have searched all over and I cannot find an understandable answer to this question: what is the difference between ENG and SHIP S-OFF.

When I S-OFF'ed my Marvelc with the Goldcard method, I had SHIP S-OFF. I do understand that ENG S-OFF provides more features. It also seems that SHIP S-OFF is a radio patch and ENG S-OFF is an HBOOT patch. Is that correct?

To me, SHIP S-OFF seemed a lot like the HTCDEV bootloader unlock. I couldn't even access system.img or boot.img through fastboot (I had re-locked my bootloader with theq86's tool, but still had SHIP S-OFF.)

i`ll tell you ;)
when you s-off it means that you can have total control over the nand and can write anything to the phone, and the s-on s-off imformation is stored on the radio partition of the phone, with the simlock and whatnot.
having s-off means that you can flash any hboot, but that hboot will be restricted to what kind of hboot it is.
for example. stock hboots will usuall not have fastboot commands enabled at all. where as the htcdev hboot does have fastboot commands enabled.(if all of them, i dont know) the htcdev bootloader unlocking system wont s-off your phone but when unlocked it enables you to write to the rom, recovery and system partitions.(i think thats right) the main thing is that it doesnt let you flash radios, and *shouldnt* let you access the radio partition at all, or else you could just s-off. (thats what the wildfire s-off campaign hopes to achieve)
but, the big man, the eng hboot, short for engineering hboot is what is used by the htc developers to issue fastboot commands to the phone, including s-on s-off command. what people want usually is to gain full s-off by any means the can and then flash a hboot that is fastboot enabled so the can use these commands.:cool:
something to note though, once you are s-off i think you can flash the htcdev hboot and use these commands without needing to unlock it. but that is speculation as i xtc clipped and i own the old wildfire (buzz)
hope this helps pal:D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    answers

i`ll tell you ;)
    when you s-off it means that you can have total control over the nand and can write anything to the phone, and the s-on s-off imformation is stored on the radio partition of the phone, with the simlock and whatnot.
    having s-off means that you can flash any hboot, but that hboot will be restricted to what kind of hboot it is.
    for example. stock hboots will usuall not have fastboot commands enabled at all. where as the htcdev hboot does have fastboot commands enabled.(if all of them, i dont know) the htcdev bootloader unlocking system wont s-off your phone but when unlocked it enables you to write to the rom, recovery and system partitions.(i think thats right) the main thing is that it doesnt let you flash radios, and *shouldnt* let you access the radio partition at all, or else you could just s-off. (thats what the wildfire s-off campaign hopes to achieve)
    but, the big man, the eng hboot, short for engineering hboot is what is used by the htc developers to issue fastboot commands to the phone, including s-on s-off command. what people want usually is to gain full s-off by any means the can and then flash a hboot that is fastboot enabled so the can use these commands.:cool:
    something to note though, once you are s-off i think you can flash the htcdev hboot and use these commands without needing to unlock it. but that is speculation as i xtc clipped and i own the old wildfire (buzz)
    hope this helps pal:D