[Q] Erratic/Jumpy Multi-touch

JayBomb999

Jan 10, 2010
Update: Star this Android issue if affected: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=58401

I'm noticing intermittent bouts of erratic multi-touch on the Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB. I exchanged one device already hoping that it was a HW defect, but my second device behaves in exactly the same way.

Chrome, Dolphin, web-view, maps (especially maps) will often jump all over the place during pinch-to-zoom. Sometimes it works fine, but too often, it jumps zoom levels erratically. Edit: This also manifests as double taps and/or "ghost taps" when using the keyboard.

I've installed YAMTT (Yet Another Multitouch test) and I've observed the touch points disappear, change direction and even suddenly register a 3rd touch. None of my other devices do this.

I'm reluctant to exchange the device yet again, but I haven't read about anyone else who's witnessed this. Am I alone in observing this behaviour?

Edit: Here is a terrible video attempting to highlight what I'm seeing in YAMTT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZRiMiNzs0U

And another video in Google Earth (fixed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14cPiiM3Pwg

Someone else experiencing the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpl26UgcuSs

FINAL UPDATE: I exchanged the device again and the issue is gone (so far). My advice: if you're experiencing this issue, return it. If it continues to happen, return it again until it works. :)

As a side note, for those experiencing the mushy/hard to press power button, that issue was fixed for me as well.

Final Update Part 2: I am sad to say the issue is still present after all. I'll admit that it is less prevalent than with my first two N7s and the "jumps" are less severe. However, it's still there and I'm not prepared to live with it. Therefore, I am returning the device to get my money back. I'll keep up to date with this issue, and I'll likely buy it down the road when a clear resolution presents itself. I know it would be a great tablet without this problem.

To recap my experience:

First N7 had erratic multi-touch, stiff power button, keyboard and other touch screen issues. Exchanged.

Second N7 had a good power button, but the erratic multi-touch and keyboard issues were still present. Exchanged.

Third N7 had a perfect power button and no keyboard issues, but the erratic pinch to zoom was still present (though less severe). Returned.

Last edited:

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Does the issue go away if you actually held it with the other hand (going by video)? Sounds like the behavior of the 1st gen N7.

JayBomb999

Jan 10, 2010
Does the issue go away if you actually held it with the other hand (going by video)? Sounds like the behavior of the 1st gen N7.
I'll try that, thanks. I have the original Nexus 7 as well and never noticed this issue. Could you elaborate a little? Was the issue eventually resolved?

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
I'll try that, thanks. I have the original Nexus 7 as well and never noticed this issue. Could you elaborate a little? Was the issue eventually resolved?
It's designed to be used on a grounded surface either held in hand or on a grounded surface. It's an electrical behavior so I doubt software would change that. Please try held in hand and report back.

jxr94

Jun 15, 2010
I'm noticing intermittent bouts of erratic multi-touch on the Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB. I exchanged one device already hoping that it was a HW defect, but my second device behaves in exactly the same way.

Chrome, Dolphin, web-view, maps (especially maps) will often jump all over the place during pinch-to-zoom. Sometimes it works fine, but too often, it jumps zoom levels erratically.

I've installed YAMTT (Yet Another Multitouch test) and I've observed the touch points disappear, change direction and even suddenly register a 3rd touch. None of my other devices do this.

I'm reluctant to exchange the device yet again, but I haven't read about anyone else who's witnessed this. Am I alone in observing this behaviour?

Edit: Here is a terrible video attempting to highlight what I'm seeing in YAMTT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZRiMiNzs0U

And another video in Google Earth: http://youtu.be/14cPiiM3Pwg
I've got this a little bit, glad I'm not the only one with the problem, mine only does it when I hold it above me and use it lol. Everything else is fine with mine so I'm keeping it.

samnoon

Jan 3, 2012
Are you sure this is a software issue?

I remember back when I had an HTC Desire, it had multitouch issues but the fault lay with the digitizer and no update could fix it.

JayBomb999

Jan 10, 2010
It's designed to be used on a grounded surface either held in hand or on a grounded surface. It's an electrical behavior so I doubt software would change that. Please try held in hand and report back.
I've tried gripping in both hands, from the bottom bezel, on the table and on the couch. Still, I see this behavior. It's not constant, but it's prevalent enough that I don't know if I'm going to keep it.

It sucks because otherwise I really love it.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I dunno. I'm seeing weird anomalies with mine. Moving 2 fingers around, a random 3rd pops up.

Hopefully just software woes. The Galaxy Nexus did this, N7 did this, and now the new N7. Its rare. Haven't had a problem.

Sent from Nexus 7 FHD from XDA Premium HD

justThisGuyHere

Jul 28, 2013
And another video in Google Earth (fixed): ...
I found this thread looking for someone else who was having the problem I was - my device was doing exactly the same thing in Google Earth. Thanks for posting it!

Oddly enough now that I've found this thread, the device isn't doing that anymore. It's tracking perfectly in Earth and also in YAMTT.

It tracks fine when being held in one hand, on a grounded or not surface, when touched with one hand or two.

Very odd.

adamhlj

Apr 24, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I had a similar issue with google earth on my 1st gen N7. I can't test it anymore, tho, because its sitting at the bottom of a lake. But it would randomly zoom out or in like crazy or jump halfway across the world.

nba1341

Feb 13, 2011
San Bernardino, California
I have this issue extremely annoying. My keyboard double presses letters at times, zooming I have ttrthe problem, trying to long press a link I also get it unregistering touch

I hope this. Is. Software I don't waqmt to return this. Otherwise perfect device. You can see it happoening as I try to type

carfreak715

Mar 7, 2011
This actually happened to me for the first time about an hour ago. As said before, I hope this is a simple software bug, and not some serious hardware issue. Quite frankly, I have a feeling that going through a return is going to be messy, as I've bought mine from my local Gamestop.

From a GNex

JayBomb999

Jan 10, 2010
This actually happened to me for the first time about an hour ago. As said before, I hope this is a simple software bug, and not some serious hardware issue. Quite frankly, I have a feeling that going through a return is going to be messy, as I've bought mine from my local Gamestop.

From a GNex
The gentlemen that posted the following video said he exchanged his device and the problem went away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpl26UgcuSs

I know it's only one person, but this leads me to believe it might be a hardware/quality issue. I have exchanged mine once for this issue already (Best Buy) and it was extremely easy. I am going to exchange one more time and will report back my findings.

JayBomb999

Jan 10, 2010
I have this issue extremely annoying. My keyboard double presses letters at times, zooming I have ttrthe problem, trying to long press a link I also get it unregistering touch

I hope this. Is. Software I don't waqmt to return this. Otherwise perfect device. You can see it happoening as I try to type
I didn't mention the keyboard issue. I too am seeing ghost taps when typing.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Hmmm. No ghost taps here. I've been on xda a lot since I got this.

Not good though. Could just be a bad batch. Seems like the dead spots would be caused by a hardware issue... Bad connections or something.

Sent from Nexus 7 FHD from XDA Premium HD