• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] exFAT file system on microSD cards

Search This thread

FailDeadly

Oct 1, 2010
I'm using a GS3 w/ a Sandisk 64GB microSDXC card formatted as exFAT. I'm hoping someone here with knowledge of exFAT can help me troubleshoot an issue I've seen. This is probably going to end up fairly detailed, so bear with me.

I recently copied ~40GB of data to my new 64GB card in Windows using the card reader in my laptop. It appeared to go off without a hitch. Today, however, I noticed an issue with my music files (mostly .mp3 and .wma). I had transferred a new song to the card and it seemed to go through. However, on the device, the file didn't appear. So I did it again, transferred the file, and it seemed to go through. It didn't tell me there was a duplicate file on the device either, so I played it on the card through Windows to test it. No issues. Unplug my device and the file disappeared again.

So I go into ES File Explorer (and later I used the My Files application that Samsung loads, with the same results) and go into my music folder to see what's going on. It appeared that at some point, the file name got corrupted and concatenated with part of another file name; instead of being "artist - song.wma", it was "artist - song.wmas Track).wma". So I think that the OS doesn't like the .wma in there, and try to rename it to what it should've been. The system says that that the file system already exists. I tried to delete the file, and it won't let me. The file explorer is also reporting that the file is 0kb in size. At this point, I open up a terminal emulator and try to delete the offending file through the command line, but I cannot delete/rename the here either, despite being listed (I'm told the file does not exist). Finally, I plugged in back into my Windows box but the bad files will not even show. The file on my computer is good and plays fine.

So I scratched my head for a little while. Then tonight at the gym I wasn't able to find the song I wanted. Sure enough, it was tied to this issue. I went back into the file explorer and found ~50 files (of ~4200) that had corrupted file extensions. These differed from the original in that only the file extension had been altered (ie .mp3p3 or .wmaa). However, I am unable to delete/rename any of the files. Also worth nothing is that some of these files had sizes. It's possible that other files exist like the original where the file extension is valid, but the original file extension is within the file name.

I have not confirmed this yet, but it is also possible that the issue is not limited to music files. I was looking through my pictures the other day and noticed that some images weren't loading; I deleted these files at the time and didn't think anything of it because a few weeks back my epic 4g corrupted my microSD and I had used some file carving tools to recover some images (obviously, not a perfect fix).

So the problem is beyond my expertise at this point. I'm not sure how to handle these damaged file remnants. I'd like to get rid of them because they prevent the existence of the good file in that particular folder in addition to taking up space. As a short-term solution I re-copied the files I wanted to a temporary folder on the card and they are working without issue.

Right now I'm leaning towards wiping the card, reformatting it, and transferring again. However, before I do that, does anyone have any ideas? Is there any chance this could be an issue with the card itself? Or a GS3 issue? The files on the computer are still good and the problem seems to manifest itself regardless of the method used to transfer to the card as the original files were transferred using an SD adapter and card reader, and the file that triggered this issue was transferred using the usb cable.

I appreciate any insight or opinions.
Tim

Reactions: prosaschi

defia

Nov 6, 2010
it's caused by long/speciafic filename of the file.
just put the sdcard into your cardreader and then connect to your pc, delete/rename the file which caused the issue.

FailDeadly

Oct 1, 2010
The files don't appear for me to be able to delete them. The file explorers won't allow me to delete them. A terminal lists the file but tells me it doesn't exist when I try to delete it.

FailDeadly

Oct 1, 2010
UPDATE: I formatted my memory card using the device itself and transferred the files again. This did not resolve the issue. Interestingly, the SAME files that were corrupted last time were corrupted this time. I can still transfer the same files from my computer to a separate folder and they work. The file remnants cannot be deleted or altered. What could be causing this issue?

member68

May 24, 2010
Is this a genuine card? I once bought a 16 GB memory card that was actually just 2 GB but reported the full 16 GB to Windows. I found out I had been scammed when I started getting errors similar to yours when I copied more than 2 GB of data.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

FailDeadly

Oct 1, 2010
I'll give it a shot when I have more time, but I'm leaning towards a software issue. It's either an issue with the file system itself, or with the SGS3 software. The same files are corrupted in the same way each time (in the same folder). However, in the new folder where I moved the copies of the problem files, there were also some corruption, but different from the original folder. Moved new copies to a third folder, some files were good, a few more remained corrupted. By the time I moved copies into a fourth folder, there were no more issues. The problem is now I probably have an extra 500MB+ worth of garbage that I can't do anything with. The search for the underlying issue continues...

tillithz

Sep 4, 2009
Oakland
I'll give it a shot when I have more time, but I'm leaning towards a software issue. It's either an issue with the file system itself, or with the SGS3 software. The same files are corrupted in the same way each time (in the same folder). However, in the new folder where I moved the copies of the problem files, there were also some corruption, but different from the original folder. Moved new copies to a third folder, some files were good, a few more remained corrupted. By the time I moved copies into a fourth folder, there were no more issues. The problem is now I probably have an extra 500MB+ worth of garbage that I can't do anything with. The search for the underlying issue continues...

try formatting in the device, then transfer over one of the files and see if it has a problem....I would guess the file name of the problem file is too long. if the file transfers and is still a problem try renaming it to like test.mp3 and see if it transfers ok.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
try formatting in the device, then transfer over one of the files and see if it has a problem....I would guess the file name of the problem file is too long. if the file transfers and is still a problem try renaming it to like test.mp3 and see if it transfers ok.

I thought exFat had really large limits on filenames? That, along with the greater than 2gb file limit removal, are some of the pluses of this over regular Fat. I could be way outta line here, but that's what I remember about it. ExFat should rock! FWIW, I've had a Kingston hyperX flash drive formatted with ExFat and have never had a filename issue copying 10's of thousands of .mp3's, .jpg's, etc...

FailDeadly

Oct 1, 2010
The files in question don't have particularly long names though. I'm guessing that there's a small handful of files elsewhere on the folder with a name that's causing the file system to freak out. I'm curious if tag info or metadata could cause an issue as well. This last time I transferred via sub directly to the device instead of taking the card out and using a card reader. My next move might be to transfer via the reader and see if there are any issues BEFORE putting the card in the device; it might still be a sgs3 issue...

Last edited:

Wintrmte

Jan 4, 2012
Not sure if you have tried this yet but since it seems to be repeatable by way of the same files, have you tried copying the offending files to internal storage to see if the same problem occurs?

This would definitely rule out the MicroSD card and lend itself towards being a software issue.

FailDeadly

Oct 1, 2010
SOLUTION: Format the microSDXC card as FAT32. All my files transfer, show up, and work just fine. Either the exFAT file system is broken, or (more likely) Samsung broke the exFAT support somehow. I might experiment with exFAT on an 32GB card to see if I can find the root of the issue, but for now I've lost my patience.

Apr 2, 2010
Doncaster
SOLUTION: Format the microSDXC card as FAT32. All my files transfer, show up, and work just fine. Either the exFAT file system is broken, or (more likely) Samsung broke the exFAT support somehow. I might experiment with exFAT on an 32GB card to see if I can find the root of the issue, but for now I've lost my patience.

My Sandisk MicroSDXC 64GB card should be arriving today. I was hoping to use exFAT so will try it out tonight and report back. I have lots of HD TV shows to transfer so it will be full straight away.

NeoCream

Apr 20, 2011
Zürich
Hi there

I also got the SanDisk 64GB SDXC card in my SGS3 and it is formatted as exFat. I think this exFat does not run correctly on the Galaxy.
I also encountered some corrupt file names on the SDcard and even some of my music folders do not show up as folders but as an unknown file that cannot be accessed.

Furthermore I copied some .flac files to my phone. The files work without a problem when being put on the internal storage. As soon as I put them on the SDCard the stock-music player does not recognize the .flac format anymore and thus the music cannot be played.

I guess I will re-format the SDcard to FAT and hope that Samsung (or maybe even a DEV) will come up with a solution to this problem. Another positiv aspect of having the card formatted as FAT is that I probably can apply some custom kernels and they will mount my FAT-64GB card (currently the custom kernels cannot mount or detect exFat formatted drives).

Hope this info helps a bit.

shinichi_c00l

Sep 28, 2011
Jakarta
Not Stable exFAT

Looks like exFAT is not yet fully finished in SGS3, thats why Samsung didn't include information about exFAT on their manual / user info.

When i use exFAT format, the problem is almost non existent in few file, but when i filled the SD card with many data and lot of small files (ex. HD Game data), the card says corrupted in my SGS3.

Screenshot is in here : LINK

The problem is only exist when the sdcard is start to filled with many files.
But when i filled it with few file but large size (ex. 4 files of *.mkv, that totals to 42GB), the card runs fine.
So the problem is only exist if the sdcard is filled with many data.

Please all of you try this, if my problem can be repeated in every SGS3, then it is definetely bug from the exFAT support on SGS3.

*also has tried it with siyahkernel that listed have exFAT support, but the problem is still the same in that kernel, maybe the support/patch/mod of exFAT that gokhanmoral use is the same that come with our stock SGS3.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I though about this also. Here's my conclusion.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    Maximum file size: 4GB.
    Maximum volume size: 2TB

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
    Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
    Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    Maximum file size: 16 TB
    Maximum volume size: 256TB

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
    Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups of Mac internal hard drive.To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    Maximum file size: 8EiB
    Maximum volume size: 8EiB

exFAT (FAT64)
    Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    exFAT partitions created with OS X 10.6.5 are inaccessible from Windows 7
    Not all Windows versions support exFAT. *See disadvantages.
    exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB

*Disadvantages
    The disadvantages compared to FAT file systems include:
    Microsoft has not released the official exFAT file system specification, and a restrictive license from Microsoft is required in order to make and distribute exFAT implementations. Microsoft also asserts patents on exFAT which make it impossible to re-implement its functionality in a compatible way without violating a large percentage of them.[11] This renders the implementation, distribution, and use of exFAT as a part of free or open-source operating systems or of commercial software, for which the vendors could not obtain a license from Microsoft, not only technically difficult, but legally impossible in countries that recognize United States software patents.

Limited or no support outside Windows and Mac OS X operating systems as of 2012—most consumer electronic devices, such as televisions and A/V receivers, could only handle FAT12/FAT16/FAT32, rendering exFAT (and flash memory formats using it) impractical as a universal exchange format. (This may change if SDXC cards and Memory Stick XC come into wide use, as they define exFAT as the file system to be used in their specifications even though this is not a technical requirement.)

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 users must have Service Pack 2 or later and install an update to support exFAT.

Windows Vista must be Service Pack 1 or later for exFAT support.

Drives formatted using exFAT cannot be read by any version of Windows prior to Windows XP or by any version of DOS or OS/2 (unless emulated as otherwise).

Windows Vista is unable to use exFAT drives for ReadyBoost. Windows 7 removes this limitation, enabling ReadyBoost caches larger than 4 GiB.[12]

The standard exFAT implementation only uses a single file allocation table and free space map. FAT file systems instead used alternating tables, as this allowed recovery of the file system if the media was ejected during a write (which occurs frequently in practice with removable media). The optional TexFAT component adds support for additional backup tables and maps, but may not be supported.

Support for up to 2,796,202 files per subdirectory only.[1][nb 3] While Microsoft documents a limit of 65,534 files per sub-directory for their FAT32 implementation, technically there is no such limit and FAT32 implementations in other operating systems allow an unlimited number of files up to the number of available clusters (that is, up to ca. 268,304,373 files, 228 - 11[13] - 131,072[14]

Reduced file data I/O performance compared to FAT32 due to smaller cluster sizes and more complex data structures.[citation needed]

More complex design results in higher code footprint and memory usage compared to FAT implementations. FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 can be implemented in as little as a 512 bytes code and 1 KB data for low-performance read-only versions and a few kilobytes code plus a few hundred KB data for high-performance read-write versions, allowing native support for them even in light-weight operating systems such as DOS, thereby enabling their usage also on older PCs and in small embedded systems. exFAT implementations require magnitudes more system resources rendering this approach impractical.

And added to this I spoke to Samsung Tech on this issue particularly the (Samsung Galaxy S III).I was told Samsung Galaxy S III has no support for exFAT.

Also check this out:cool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1724078
    I don't know if anyone else was running into issues formatting as fat32 like I was. I was formatting as fat32 but the problem I was having is that I was setting my partition to logical and not primary which was causing it to not mount while in my phone.

Spent too long trying different file systems until I realized that I wasn't setting my partition correctly. Should be easy enough to do in diskpart or if you're more visual you can use minitool partition wizard.
    I've tested with following condition :

SD Cards :
    - 64GB MicroSDXC by sandisk
    - 32GB Class 10 Team MicroSD

Phone :
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 Marble White / Firmware (PDA/Modem) XXALE8/DXLE8
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 Pebble Blue / Firmware (PDA/Modem) XXALE8/DXLE8

File Listing :
    - http://db.tt/tWJJuVFG
    ---------------------------------------

Result exFAT :
    With both phone and both different brand of microsd cards, the result is same, when the card is inserted, SGS3 was scanning for error, and then not long, appear this error http://goo.gl/jxYJV

Result FAT32 :
    All fine and no problem with both phone and different brand of sdcards mentioned above and the same file inserted.

For listing of files that inserted and make the error, please download the file listing above.
    If it wont format properly, have you tried removing the exFAT partition and make a new partition with the FAT32 filesystem?
    I received my 64GB card formatted as xFAT and formatted to FAT32 in few secs using this program: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm.