• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] External Battery

Search This thread

d.v

Mar 4, 2011
Found this while doing a little looking around for external batteries. a 16,000 mAhr battery
The thing has five usb ports on it! Supporting up to 2.4amps while charging. It's more on the expensive side, but damn 16 amp hours. That's four full charges for the nook, or fifteen or so for your phone.

That is interesting. But at 2 lbs or so it would be a bit of a hassle for some to carry around. But thanks for the link. Always on the lookout for portable power.

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Today I received www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NDQ92W/ref=oss_product
So far, I have nook on 1A port and it charged with nook's cable 20% in 50 minutes, while using Nook for internet browsing and chat
Quite good!

Unleashed from Nook Color on Cm7 Nightly 162 @1.200Mhz

A little update to the battery issue.
Finally I decided to return it to Amazon as it didnt charge correctly both my Nokia 5800 and my Nook.Also the battery was ending too fast.

d.v

Mar 4, 2011
OK, I got the XP8000. Now, how do I use the darned thing?

I see instructions for every conceivable connection but not how to turn it on.

There's a button on top of the unit labeled "CHECK/ON". There's no mention of it in the documentation but I assume it's for checking the charge and turning the unit on. I press it and nothing happens. I plug the XP8000 in to AC to see if the battery is dead but the charge lights light up showing full charge.

When I connect it to my Nook with the Nook cable, nothing happens. The Nook doesn't react as when it is plugged in to AC power. Pressing the "CHECK/ON" button while the Nook is connected does nothing. (I'm using the Nook USB cable--not the one that was included with the XP8000--which I assume I need to get the rapid charge.)

Do I have a bad unit?

[Update 9-20-11]: Called Energizer Customer Service number listed on some of the literature included with the battery. Bottom line, they said it sounds like the unit is faulty. They're sending me a new one (battery only; keep the cables they said) and asked me only to recycle the battery appropriately. I thought they'd want it back to repair or, at least, to salvage the case. Great service. I'm looking forward to getting the new unit in a day or so.

Last edited:

d.v

Mar 4, 2011
OK, I got the replacement XP8000 unit from Energizer. Now, I'm trying to figure out how best to charge my NC. I attached the USB cord that came with the NC to the XP8000. It charged but not at the same rate as the NC charger does.

I thought all the "magic" for the NC rapid charge was in the cord. Apparently that's not the case.

Anyone with an Energizer XP external battery, is this how your NC charges?

Imbroglio

Jun 18, 2011
It is a combination of 2 things, cord and the AC adapter. From what I could gather, the XP8000 only puts out 5v, 500mA, which is comparable to a standard USB port on a computer. The NC cable/AC adapter puts out about 5v, 2000mA. So in effect, it is going to take 4 times longer to do a straight charge from the XP8000. Many people plug these into a fully charged NC while it is in use. This way the internal battery is getting trickle charged and extending the total run time.

There are other external batteries out there that do put out 2000 mA and can be recognized by the manufacturer stating it will charge an Ipad.

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
There are other external batteries out there that do put out 2000 mA and can be recognized by the manufacturer stating it will charge an Ipad.
Yeah I saw the Tecknet charger how well it was charging my nook.. Lol. And it was described as IPad charger too.
I am waiting for some other review from someone that truly found a good charger.then I will but something new.

Unleashed from my rooted Desire HD

Explore3

Mar 6, 2011
Any news about any units that truly charge the NC with full rate?
I am not sure if it does but I picked up the New Trent iGeek IMP99D 9900mAh External Battery Pack for $40 shipped at buy.com. Amazon price is $65.

271 Amazon reviews with 4 1/2 stars.

http://www.buy.com/prod/new-trent-i...-battery-pack-w-dual-usb-ports/220172386.html

Never have your iPad and Tablet PCs run out of battery. This compact and long- lasting backup battery will let you carry the power where ever you go. There's no need to charge your Tablet PCs and Smart Phones through an electrical outlet. THE IMP99D IS THE best POWER SOURCE! Take this charger with you when you travel or go on a trip.New Trent is a trademark of New Trent Inc, is exclusively marketed by authorized reseller Naphos on buy.comKey features includes-This stylish and powerful device IMP99D can give you extra 45 hours movie time for iPhone 4 and 18 hours movie time for iPad 2 and HTC flyer. This backup battery will work with Tablet PCs with 5V/2A input and Smart Phones with 5V/1A inputThis backup battery pack will be compatible with Smart Phones which includes HTC Android phones (EVO, incredible Nexus), Motorola Droid, Samsung Galaxy S, and BlackBerry (9630, 9700, 9550, 9800)This backup battery pack will be compatible with Tablet PCs with 5V/2A input which includes Ipad 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and HTC flyer With ground breaking capacity of 9900mAh, its Dual USB output at 5V/1A (for smart phones) and 5V/2A (For tablet PCs) allow you to charge two units at the same time. It can also power Sony PSP, Nintendo DS lite, DSi and Gameboy with a correct adapter.Be sure to find New Trent's logo on both package and battery pack to qualify for 6 months product warranty.
Features

Compatible with Smart Phones iPad, iPad 2, the new iPad, iPhone 4 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch 4G 3G 3G 1G, Blackberry (9630, 9700, 9550, 9800), HTC android (EVO, incredible Nexus), Samsung Galaxy S, Moto Droid

Compatible with Tablet PCs with 5V/2A input (Ipad 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, HP Touch Pad, HTC flyer)

Enjoy 45 hours movie time for iPhone 4 & 18 hours movie time for iPad2

No iPhone iPad2 Adapter is included, but IMP99D is 100% compatible with original iPad 2 iPhone data cable. 6 months product warranty

Ultra reliable Lithium-Ion battery with 9900mAh, 500% iPhone 4 Battery life

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Anything that uses a standard micro USB will not charge as fast as the custom B&N charger because the USB cannot deliver the same amount. That's why the connector on the Nook charger is different

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Finally got also myself an Energizer charger with 4.000 mah battery at 42£ from Amazon Uk and its working fine. Having all possible bits in the package is very useful

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XP2000 looks great. Can I assume the XP8000 would be even better? Yeah, it weighs more but is rated 8000 mAh vs 2000 for the XP2000.

While we're on the topic the XP2000 is called a "portable charger" and the XP8000 is called an "external battery". Is there really a difference?

Yes the XP8000 would be better. Especially if your a long distance traveler. Portable charger and external battery is essentially the same thing.

here is a link to assist in selecting the right one for you.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/downloads/ProductGuide2010.pdf
    I'm interested in a similar charger, but with 2400mah.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2400ma...a-cable-for-htc-desire-g5-samsung-i9000-57905

Does it work with your android phone? A lot of after market chargers makes the touch screen unusable while charging. Does it work both while plugged into the wall and using the internal battery?
    I use this with my nook. I can't answer any questions related to workability with Android phones. That's not this forum.

While using this device to charge my nook, my nook is completely usable. It will charge my nook when the device is plugged into the wall. It will also charge my nook when it's not plugged into the wall (it is a battery, after all). In either situation, my nook is completely usable when connected to this.

I use this battery with my proprietary nook charging cable.
    Wonderful report. I'm in the market for an external battery. A couple of questions if I may.

So one of the 6 tips works with an NC? I thought the NC's cord and tip were special to enable the quick charging. Do the Energizer products support this technology?
    The micro USB tip that comes with the Energizer works fine with the Nook. I don't know about "fast charge" vs. "slow charge" and all that but it definitely works. One SUBSTANTIAL advantage of the XP2000 over the larger capacity models (of the Energizer line) is that you can use any USB-to-mini USB cable, including the one that comes with it, and plug it into either a USB power plug adapter or a USB port on a computer to charge it. The XP4000, XP8000 and XP18000 all require their own power adapter. It's included in the purchase of course but I don't like carrying around another cord. Not a deal-breaker, just a factor.
    +1 I did the same thing with my original ipod touch. I bought Just Wireless SKU 10047 at Target on clearance awhile back. It says Output 5V=1A. Does anyone have any experience with how long this one will last playing back videos and what Battery level the nook will be at if it starts at 100? I have the 4 LED's full charge and can connect it to my nook with its micro usb connection. Just have not tried to drain it yet?
    Just a heads-up. When I searched this manufacturer and model number on Amazon the product that came up, a small device external charger, had the worst reviews I've ever seen on Amazon. Ten reviews, all from different people, over a 2 1/2 year period, every one a one-star (lowest) rating with damning commentary. Maybe I found the wrong product, maybe the reviewers are wrong, but FYI.