[Q] External Battery

Search This thread

ks88

Apr 13, 2011
Found this external battery with good pricing. Anyone tried this? Does it work with NC?

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083311&p_id=7664&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Jgrimoldy

Jan 30, 2011
scotts valley, CA
It certainly should work.

The connections are a little confusing. The male micro-USB coming off the top suggests that you need to connect it to your nook, which would make the whole thing a little unweildy. Also, how is it charged? From a PC? From a AC/USB adapter?

I bought a couple of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-re...emergency-power-with-cell-phones-holder-44749

They're only 2000 mAh, but you can connect them to the nook with the proprietary nook USB cable. Even though they're rated at 1A, my nook recognizes as 2A...

Bonus: built in fold up wall charger.

Not-so-bonus: DealExtreme ships from Hong Kong. Delivery time is measured using the geologic time scale.

johnny15

May 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Found this external battery with good pricing. Anyone tried this? Does it work with NC?

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083311&p_id=7664&seq=1&format=4#feedback
I actually have one. It works with my EVO, but not the Nook Color. You can look at the reviews for the item and see others have similiar issues with other micro USB devices. I think I'm going to order a M/F micro usb extension cable from ebay....hopefully it helps this work with my NC.

Micro USB M/F Extension

dennisi01

Apr 13, 2010
Johnny,

Are you sure its not charging? The output of the device is 800mA, and the output of the stock charger is 2000mA. So although it may be charging slowly, the nook would not report it as charging. Would you be able to plug it in and leave it for a while and see if the battery% increases?

johnny15

May 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm positive it's not charging. The micro USB seems to be slightly different than "standard" and thus, doesn't fit all the way into the port on the NC. I can try one more time when I get home today, but I don't think it'll go.
I wish this wasn't the case and I've tried it a handful of times when I first bought it. I've only been using it on my phone lately...

dennisi01

Apr 13, 2010
Ah ok - if you get the cable and it works let us know :) It is a good price even with the cable (about $20 total with battery shipping and free shipping for cable), and if that works it would be pretty sweet!

johnny15

May 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Ah ok - if you get the cable and it works let us know :) It is a good price even with the cable (about $20 total with battery shipping and free shipping for cable), and if that works it would be pretty sweet!
I'll keep you posted. I had been debating whether or not to buy the cable, but for $5 and I can extend the use of my charger, I finally figured it'd be worth it....that and the fact that I want to help people out here so no one buys the charger itself thinking it'll work.
I ordered that cable yesterday, so when I get it (from China) I'll let you know whether it works or not.

ks88

Apr 13, 2011
I'll keep you posted. I had been debating whether or not to buy the cable, but for $5 and I can extend the use of my charger, I finally figured it'd be worth it....that and the fact that I want to help people out here so no one buys the charger itself thinking it'll work.
I ordered that cable yesterday, so when I get it (from China) I'll let you know whether it works or not.

I'm interested to know too. Thanks alot bro! :)

jemping

Apr 12, 2011
Ok. I got that battery from Monoprice, and it charges my nook without any hassle.
Just need to be a little bit precise on plugging it into the micro USB female on the nook.

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
It certainly should work.

The connections are a little confusing. The male micro-USB coming off the top suggests that you need to connect it to your nook, which would make the whole thing a little unweildy. Also, how is it charged? From a PC? From a AC/USB adapter?

I bought a couple of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-re...emergency-power-with-cell-phones-holder-44749

They're only 2000 mAh, but you can connect them to the nook with the proprietary nook USB cable. Even though they're rated at 1A, my nook recognizes as 2A...

Bonus: built in fold up wall charger.

Not-so-bonus: DealExtreme ships from Hong Kong. Delivery time is measured using the geologic time scale.

I'm interested in a similar charger, but with 2400mah.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2400ma...a-cable-for-htc-desire-g5-samsung-i9000-57905

Does it work with your android phone? A lot of after market chargers makes the touch screen unusable while charging. Does it work both while plugged into the wall and using the internal battery?

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Interesting topic.
Let me see if I got this straight.
This device has double function?
-If Nc needs charging, U just plug this device and U can have extra power on the move?
-Also, it gets connected to normal wall plug and through this U charge your NOOK?It can work as alternative nook charger (but for sure in slower rate)??

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
I bought an Energizer XP2000 for about $35 at an OfficeMax (they're widely available). 2000 mAh capacity, weighs about 2oz, comes with its own cord with six different ends for different devices. I plugged it into my fully-charged Nook at 10,000 ft out of Seattle, watched non-stop video at 70% brightness in Airplane Mode for nearly five hours to Baltimore and still had 58% battery left on my Nook (the Energizer was discharged). Other chargers in the line go up to an insane XP1800 that'll power a LAPTOP for six hours!

The sweet spot for me is probably the XP8000. It's max output is 3500mA vs. 500mA for the XP2000, it's the size of two iPod Classics stacked on one another but weighs a little less and it should keep me going for a looong trip. It's $100 so its not an impulse buy (at least for me) but seems like an essential tool for the long distance traveler.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp2000/

Jgrimoldy

Jan 30, 2011
scotts valley, CA
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2400ma...a-cable-for-htc-desire-g5-samsung-i9000-57905

Does it work with your android phone? A lot of after market chargers makes the touch screen unusable while charging. Does it work both while plugged into the wall and using the internal battery?
I use this with my nook. I can't answer any questions related to workability with Android phones. That's not this forum.

While using this device to charge my nook, my nook is completely usable. It will charge my nook when the device is plugged into the wall. It will also charge my nook when it's not plugged into the wall (it is a battery, after all). In either situation, my nook is completely usable when connected to this.

I use this battery with my proprietary nook charging cable.

Reactions: rcboosted

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
I use this with my nook. I can't answer any questions related to workability with Android phones. That's not this forum.

While using this device to charge my nook, my nook is completely usable. It will charge my nook when the device is plugged into the wall. It will also charge my nook when it's not plugged into the wall (it is a battery, after all). In either situation, my nook is completely usable when connected to this.

Thanks for this report. My nook goes crazy when I use the same aftermarket charger that makes my phone unusable while charging. It acts as if someone is hitting the screen randomly very quickly. If you're not having issue with the nook on this charger, I'm confident it won't have issues with my phone either. I will order 1 and find out for sure.

d.v

Mar 4, 2011
I bought an Energizer XP2000 for about $35 at an OfficeMax (they're widely available). 2000 mAh capacity, weighs about 2oz, comes with its own cord with six different ends for different devices. I plugged it into my fully-charged Nook at 10,000 ft out of Seattle ...

Wonderful report. I'm in the market for an external battery. A couple of questions if I may.

So one of the 6 tips works with an NC? I thought the NC's cord and tip were special to enable the quick charging. Do the Energizer products support this technology?

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
At dealextreme there is also 3000 battery. Why not using that?
The bigger the better right?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
Wonderful report. I'm in the market for an external battery. A couple of questions if I may.

So one of the 6 tips works with an NC? I thought the NC's cord and tip were special to enable the quick charging. Do the Energizer products support this technology?
The micro USB tip that comes with the Energizer works fine with the Nook. I don't know about "fast charge" vs. "slow charge" and all that but it definitely works. One SUBSTANTIAL advantage of the XP2000 over the larger capacity models (of the Energizer line) is that you can use any USB-to-mini USB cable, including the one that comes with it, and plug it into either a USB power plug adapter or a USB port on a computer to charge it. The XP4000, XP8000 and XP18000 all require their own power adapter. It's included in the purchase of course but I don't like carrying around another cord. Not a deal-breaker, just a factor.

Reactions: d.v

johnny15

May 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Well, I said I'd update once I recieved my extension cable, so here it is...

I finally received my extension cable and it allows me to use my Monoprice charger with my Nook, so that's great. In the end, it wasn't needed. I ended up RMA'ing my charger back to Monoprice because the thing had a dull buzz when not being used and a high pitch noise when either charging a device or being charged. I'm happy to report that the new charger works with or without the extension cable on my Nook Color and on my EVO 4G. In the end though, I like the extension cable because it gives me more flexibility when using the charger.

Here are the links again...

Monoprice Charger
Extension Cable

d.v

Mar 4, 2011
The micro USB tip that comes with the Energizer works fine with the Nook. I don't know about "fast charge" vs. "slow charge" and all that but it definitely works. One SUBSTANTIAL advantage of the XP2000 over the larger capacity models (of the Energizer line) is that you can use any USB-to-mini USB cable, including the one that comes with it, and plug it into either a USB power plug adapter or a USB port on a computer to charge it. The XP4000, XP8000 and XP18000 all require their own power adapter. It's included in the purchase of course but I don't like carrying around another cord. Not a deal-breaker, just a factor.

Got it. The slow vs fast charge would be a good thing to know. Can you time a charge with the Energizer unit and one with the stock NC charger? If it can fast charge, the Energizer would make a great addition to the NC.

Thanks either way. The info has been helpful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XP2000 looks great. Can I assume the XP8000 would be even better? Yeah, it weighs more but is rated 8000 mAh vs 2000 for the XP2000.

While we're on the topic the XP2000 is called a "portable charger" and the XP8000 is called an "external battery". Is there really a difference?

Yes the XP8000 would be better. Especially if your a long distance traveler. Portable charger and external battery is essentially the same thing.

here is a link to assist in selecting the right one for you.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/downloads/ProductGuide2010.pdf

+1 I did the same thing with my original ipod touch. I bought Just Wireless SKU 10047 at Target on clearance awhile back. It says Output 5V=1A. Does anyone have any experience with how long this one will last playing back videos and what Battery level the nook will be at if it starts at 100? I have the 4 LED's full charge and can connect it to my nook with its micro usb connection. Just have not tried to drain it yet?
    Just a heads-up. When I searched this manufacturer and model number on Amazon the product that came up, a small device external charger, had the worst reviews I've ever seen on Amazon. Ten reviews, all from different people, over a 2 1/2 year period, every one a one-star (lowest) rating with damning commentary. Maybe I found the wrong product, maybe the reviewers are wrong, but FYI.