• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] G2 won't connect to cell network after unlocking

Search This thread

gpou

Sep 18, 2007
Kalamata
All of the above seems correct but prior to unlocking the T-mobile sim card was working. And now it isn't. So i dont think the issue has to do with T-mobiles SIM's architecture

gpou

Sep 18, 2007
Kalamata
It didn't actually connected to network as T-mo sim was incative. Bit i was able to search for networks and see them in list. After unlocking search failed

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
I do have another isue and I would like to clarify if this is related to the unlocking.

I can not start revovery!

Wenn I start hhboot (by holding the touchpad key while powering on) and the select recovery from the menu with the volume key and the start it with the power button it only shows a black screen with a red triangle/exclamation mark.

Are you (the ones with unlocked phones) able to start recovery? Or am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

androidgeekit

Oct 15, 2010
Hi guys!! I have the same problem. After entering the unlock code does not detect any network. No italian network using an italian sim (Vodafone).

Master Loon

May 18, 2007
Norwalk, CT
With any cut there is a band selector. I think it is the 3rd from the last setting short cut. Is it possible after the unlock that is doesn't know what to pick. When I switch. The band I get the x in the signal. Haven't got an unlock code to try it

k0mpresd

Mar 24, 2009
i put a tmobile sim in my g2 for the first time yesterday. it was the first time the phone had been activated on a cellular network. i made a phone call and then took it out. today i got the unlock code for my phone and entered it. phone is now unlocked and works with my att sim. if anyone wants a log from my phone let me know, ill be happy to try to help.

billp

Aug 27, 2009
i put a tmobile sim in my g2 for the first time yesterday. it was the first time the phone had been activated on a cellular network. i made a phone call and then took it out. today i got the unlock code for my phone and entered it. phone is now unlocked and works with my att sim. if anyone wants a log from my phone let me know, ill be happy to try to help.

Are you in US or in EU(or anywhere else)?

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Yes please!

Do a
Code:
adb logcat -b radio > lc_att_unlocked.txt
starting at boot and end it when the phone shows a cell and data connection.
And then please attach it to a new post.

(Edit the file first and replace the later part of the IMSI number with xxx)

Thanks a lot

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
I really do have a very bad felling after reading this on the G2ROOT IRC log
Code:
01:29      jeagoss      my freaking radio work is halted dead
01:29     GrkEngineer     why?
01:29     jeagoss     the g2 just all of a sudden decided it isn't going to find towers anymore
01:29     jeagoss     period
01:30     jeagoss     factory reset, all stuff looks fine. radio is reporting, but it isn't finding towers
01:30     GrkEngineer     do we have a copy of a working radio to restore?
01:30    => ananse joins
01:30     jeagoss     t-mobile rep said it is happening to alot of g2s
01:30     IntuitiveNipple     Sounds like what happens when a phone's EMIE has been blocked
01:30     jeagoss     i was the 50th or so call he had got today about it
01:30     GrkEngineer     ahh ok, so not 'cause of mods to the radio by you
01:30     IntuitiveNipple     ouch!
01:31     jeagoss     nope, i haven't loaded any radio mods yet
01:31     jeagoss     still trying to poke it and get a hole to flash through
01:31     d0nkey     jeagoss: happens to me too. but I live in a ****ty area so I don't bother complaining
01:32     jeagoss     so, known problem is the g2 just stops communicating with towers
01:32     IntuitiveNipple     it doesn't surprise me, my feeling from anecdotal stories and the source code is it was put out unfinished with several bugs left to solve
01:33     jeagoss     they are cross shipping me a new one
01:34     GrkEngineer     don't know if it helps you any, but I posted a snippet from "drivers/mmc/card/block.c:437" which mentions writing to radio
01:34     GrkEngineer     is the no tower issue permanent for that phone?
01:34     jeagoss     GrkEngineer: oh? I'll take a look at it
01:34     jeagoss     and yeah, the tower thing is permenant
01:34     jeagoss     well, so they say
I still will continue my work but I would suggest to the once who can to try to get a replacement phone from TMO

bluemoko

Jun 29, 2010
well so they say, lets see ...

Hello, I found something which might interesting for you guys. I still have old Stealth SIM which i previously use for Samsung Captivate. So what the heck I snap it on my Thailand SIM CARD and voila!!!!!

It can search for network and registered!!!!

What does this mean? What is the issue of the phone? or the unlock system?

gpou

Sep 18, 2007
Kalamata
Hello, I found something which might interesting for you guys. I still have old Stealth SIM which i previously use for Samsung Captivate. So what the heck I snap it on my Thailand SIM CARD and voila!!!!!

It can search for network and registered!!!!

What does this mean? What is the issue of the phone? or the unlock system?

This is good news finally. Lets see wthat we can find out of this

bluemoko

Jun 29, 2010
This is good news finally. Lets see wthat we can find out of this

Also bad news, it can only register for voice call and signal show R as roaming network. I try putting APN and eveything also enable data roaming but it won't establish data connection.

after i *#*#4636#*#* i found out that

PingIPAddr : Fail: IP addr not reachable
Roaming : Roaming
GSM Service : Inservice
GPRS Network : Disconnected
Network Type : EDGE

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Also bad news, it can only register for voice call and signal show R as roaming network. I try putting APN and eveything also enable data roaming but it won't establish data connection.

For me this is still good news cause it means that the radio did not shut itself down completely.

Could you post a logcat of the radio.
I am very curious to see whats going on there.