[Q] Galaxy Nexus MTP driver issues in Windows XP

Search This thread

sw.monkey12

Nov 29, 2011
Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can help with this problem?
I'm having trouble hooking it up to my PC which is running XP.
When I chose to connect as either "Media Device MTP" or "Camera PTP" I get an error message on the taskbar of my PC:

"USB device Not Recognised. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned , and Windos does not recognise it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

I click the message and get taken to the list of USB devices with one in bold stating "Unknown device", I click on it and try to update the drivers etc but PC is unable to instal newer drivers.
I think I've narrowed this down to an MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) driver not being installed on the PC, so have installed Windows media player 11, Kies, Samsung PC Studio 7, tried searching the net for drivers, even tried installing Galaxy S2 drivers and none of them work.

Does anyone know what else I may be able to try, or can someone tell me where I could get the correct driver as this is starting to drive me nuts...

PS. I have hooked up the Nexus to my work PC (running Vista) and was recognised withing seconds, so is not a faulty phone

Thanks in advaance for you help!!

gokpog

Nov 30, 2009
Can't really help you with the Galaxy Nexus since mine hasn't arrived yet but for my Galaxy Tab 10.1 I didn't install any driver (honeycomb also only understands MTP). I let windows install all the drives automatically, had to restart a couple of times but in the end I had a working connection with no Samsung crap like Kies installed.

sw.monkey12

Nov 29, 2011
Just get WiFi file explorer PRO and sync through wifi...but I'm quite sure that you can get MTP to work on winXP.

I've got this as the work around at the moment, but finding it a bit laborious having to transfer one file at a time.

Finding that Samsung website is quite useless - only has the User guide as downloadable PDF.
Microsoft website is even less helpful...!

gambiting

Mar 14, 2009
I've got this as the work around at the moment, but finding it a bit laborious having to transfer one file at a time.

Finding that Samsung website is quite useless - only has the User guide as downloadable PDF.
Microsoft website is even less helpful...!

You can transfer as many files as you like....up.

And to be honest you can also try using an FTP server, it works very well and then you can browse your phone easily.

sw.monkey12

Nov 29, 2011
Can't really help you with the Galaxy Nexus since mine hasn't arrived yet but for my Galaxy Tab 10.1 I didn't install any driver (honeycomb also only understands MTP). I let windows install all the drives automatically, had to restart a couple of times but in the end I had a working connection with no Samsung crap like Kies installed.

Is that with XP?
I thought I was getting there after installing WMP 11 as I got a message stating "Galaxy" when I connected the USB cable, but it still didn't work fully.

A couple of re-boots later it resorted back to "USB Device not Recognised"

Hope the Nexus conmects for you when it arrives :)

sw.monkey12

Nov 29, 2011
You can transfer as many files as you like....up.

And to be honest you can also try using an FTP server, it works very well and then you can browse your phone easily.

Do you mean that you can upload multiple files in one go with Wireless file transfer Pro?
with music for eg. I'm having to do one track at a time?

Will look at the FTP servers now, any recommendations?

gokpog

Nov 30, 2009
Is that with XP?
I thought I was getting there after installing WMP 11 as I got a message stating "Galaxy" when I connected the USB cable, but it still didn't work fully.

A couple of re-boots later it resorted back to "USB Device not Recognised"

Hope the Nexus conmects for you when it arrives :)

Sorry no, it was something worse, Vista. :)
If you got xp to recognize it as "Galaxy" you should be on the right track. I remember that being the first device in Vista too. The auto update feature installed various Samsung updates, always after the device couldn't be started and almost all of them required a restart. But about five of these updates (and restarts...) later it connected correctly. No Samsung software necessary.

Don't know if that was dumb luck but I'm not complaining. :)

chandlerweb

May 12, 2010
I have missing MTP driver on my WIndows XP laptop for work (I use Win 7 at home) is there any solution to this yet?

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
Try this.

It will install the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit (MTP drivers) on Windows xp and should allow the device to be recognised.

I uploaded the file (which I downloaded directly from Microsoft) so you dont have to validate first. Download it *HERE* and install.

Let me know if it works for Windows xp and I will add it to my fixes section im writing.

Mark.

chandlerweb

May 12, 2010
Thanks, Mark,

I did find and download that file earlier but it didnt work. However, as my work laptop is subject to Group Policy, it may still work for others. I do have local admin rights on my machine so I wouldnt have thought it would be a problem but we always get quirks with our corporate builds.

I have found other references on the net to a file from Creative called "fixup.zip" which apparently includes the MTP drivers (tweaked to also allow recognition of creative devices) but I cant find anywhere to download it from.

Last edited:

[GO]Bobster

Jul 28, 2005
Dorset
www.rjwhetton.co.uk
after a little searching with Google i found the answer

so my laptop runs XP (because i shoot tethered to my Canon Camera and i know it works) and i use the laptop to sync my phones (also collects my e-mail etc) and i stumbled on this thread when i was searching for a solution as to why MTP failed to install with my new Nexus..

the solution is

to install Windows Media Player 10! once i did that, BAM! i can see my Nexus in the explorer window with the rest of my drives :)

Last edited:
Reactions: biz79

lambdaman

Oct 31, 2011
OnePlus One
Huawei Nexus 6P
New "known issue" - samsung!

I had issues trying to get the device working on 3 computers yesterday (Win 7, Vista, XP) , with only interment luck.

I got to Samsung Level 2 support, at 2pm EST, I was his first G-Nex call. We tried the Samsung driver, updating WMP to v11 on XP. Best I got was it to open sometimes (best after a GNex Reboot or after almost shutting it down: ie. holding power button in ant hitting back arrow). It opens best on my Vista PC (one I hardly use...); Sometimes I open it and get no further than the device level (GALAXY NEXUS); if Internal Storage eventually shows up, you may be able to get in; then you MAY be able to transfer files to the folders.

I got a call back from SAMSUNG Level 2 today: "THERE IS A KNOW ISSUE IN THE MTP LAYER OF THE PHONE; THERE ARE ISOLATED CASES OF PROBLEMS LIKE YOURS; SAMSUNG & GOOGLE ARE WORKING TO RESOLVE AND ISSUE A MAINTENANCE RELEASE". (As close as I can quote this.) No, there was no estimate of WHEN this would be released, but I'm hoping soon, as it is a pain and major issue for us "isolated" cases - why me?

tcpsyn

Jul 17, 2010
I found that MTP does not work correctly on winxp without Windows Media Player 11. It appears to work kinda with WMP10, but not the way you would expect.

acacia365

Nov 10, 2009
Fix

I was pulling my hair out trying to get my new verizon galaxy nexus connected to my pc running windows xp to transfer files. Finally I figured out what the problem was for me.

MTP is tied to windows media player somehow and you need to have the new version of windows media player installed for it to work. Until I did this I was getting an error when a plugged in my phone about the required files not found in the INF file or something.

1. download new version of windows media player.

2. You need to download the samsung USB drivers from samsungs website...I would post the link but I am not allowed.

make sure you click the tab for software...it defaults to manuals and doesn;t look much like a tab at all. After that mine worked beautifully although the MTP transfers seem extremely slow compared to the USB mass storage connection my droid 2 had.

Hope this helps someone else out there!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    format c:/q

install Windows 7 :rolleyes:

Windows XP is 10 years old.
    Try this.

It will install the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit (MTP drivers) on Windows xp and should allow the device to be recognised.

I uploaded the file (which I downloaded directly from Microsoft) so you dont have to validate first. Download it *HERE* and install.

Let me know if it works for Windows xp and I will add it to my fixes section im writing.

Mark.
    Here you go. My work laptop is still xp(32bit) and i just installed this and works

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/verizon-wireless/SCH-I515MSAVZW

Verizon_Wireless_I515_Galaxy_Nexus_USB_Driver_v1.4.6.0.exe
    An additional note - for those who tried all of the above (especially the WMP solutions)...

Make sure your phone is out of USB Debug mode. When I had it in debug mode - the MTP driver wasn't recognized. As soon as I switched out, the MTP drivers installed no problem.
    Just get WiFi file explorer PRO and sync through wifi...but I'm quite sure that you can get MTP to work on winXP.