[Q] Galaxy Player 4.2 (YP-GI1) - Rooting and ROMs

Search This thread

edogaru

Jun 14, 2010
Hi!

I was able to root and install cwm, however I was wondering if there are any stable roms or ports somewhere?
To all who are working on this beautiful galaxy player, thank you!

64kb

Aug 19, 2012
Hamilton
I was able to root and install cwm, however I was wondering if there are any stable roms or ports somewhere?
To all who are working on this beautiful galaxy player, thank you!

We have a few ROMs, nothing compared to what all of the 4.0 and 5.0 owners get to enjoy. We DID have a CM7 project going, but that seems to have died off. A few days ago, I started a project to build CM7 for the 4.2 though. If more developers had this device, we'd have a lot more ROMs.

Reactions: HellPie and edogaru

edogaru

Jun 14, 2010
We have a few ROMs, nothing compared to what all of the 4.0 and 5.0 owners get to enjoy. We DID have a CM7 project going, but that seems to have died off. A few days ago, I started a project to build CM7 for the 4.2 though. If more developers had this device, we'd have a lot more ROMs.

Well, hopefully after a slow start this wonderful piece of the galaxy family will go a long way
thank you in advance! it is because of people like you that this thing wont die! :D

JMS74

Oct 30, 2011

Any links on that CM7 project going on?

I need the standard ICS Bluetooth tethering working here, and i think CM7 isnt going to solve my problem.
I just needed to tether my 3G connection from my phone to this by bluetooth (much less battery use) and would need ICS (at least) to do that. :(

The other thing i would love to have is Voodoo Sound Kernels built to this device. After all this device could be even greater in sound quality than it is, it has all the necessary hardware. all thats missing is the software.

onthegrezinn

Dec 5, 2012
the video i promised you guys for the 4.2 GMP US

here you guys go the video tut to root the galaxy media player 4.2 :cowboy::D
thanks for all the help and i hope to help someone else with this video keep doing your thing guys i love this sh!t :victory::eek:
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqCP3pNPFFs/QUOTE]

Last edited:

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal

[email protected]:-$

Aug 13, 2012
I made on the sgs4 themed rom a tutorial for the cwm... but i haven't got enough time and i never explained it... i'll try to make a new video...

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 utilizzando Tapatalk

HellPie

Nov 19, 2013
Italy
Has anyone tested the Xposed Framework for GB?
And who knows how to make the Custom Bootanimation working? I tried following some guides for some Sammy phones, but nothing seems working... And some times I had bootloops... :(

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

If you need help I'm here! I don't know exactly how to port a kernel to a new device but I know how to compile/edit it. the only problem is that I'm italian so I have like 8/9 hours more than USA...

altao1

Nov 4, 2014
hi , i need a help

Galaxy Player 4.2 (YP-GI1) - Rooting and ROMs
i am using a international version and heimdall and i ve learned to make a one click jap file but i donw have a 2.3.6.gingerbread android tar.gz file and to make a jap file
and to try to install it or flash it ...
can you give me advice or a link there to find a tar.gz files or a jar files for
this device is a YP-GI1CW/TRA
thank you ...
if you know about
maybe i can try to install something else
or what ever
thankx

alex.b.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright I got the approvement from mevordel so I would need 2 testers. If interested please send me a PM, I'll send you the link.

EDIT: The testers are already chosen.
    EDIT2: CWM for 4.2: Complete, wifi broken...
    Glad to see someone started a thread for the Galaxy Player 4.2 :good:

I will appreciate it, too, when a developer at some point gets one of these and plies their skills to a rooting solution. Though I am a long time PC user, this is my first android device. For a reasonable price and without being tied to a service contract, it seems like a carryable solution for audio/video playing, GPS, WiFi to local computers or internet. Slight improvements over the 4.0 include a claimed IPS screen, slightly larger screen size & battery, and front speakers. But less root-friendly. And as I'm sure everyone here agrees, if we bought a device we should be able to own it! Including administrator/root user control if we wish.

Here's a little bit of info I can contribute: accessing Download Mode or Recovery Mode. Samsung's website didn't help as it only linked a user manual for the 4.0. So I searched and tinkered.

First, identifying my device (bought from US website).
    Printed in battery compartment
    Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 8GB
    model YP-GI1CB/XAA
    date 2012.05
    Settings | About device
    model number YP-GI1
    android version 2.3.6
    kernel version 2.6.35.7-CL1076053 [email protected] #1
    build number GINGERBREAD.UELD3​

Here's a repeatable method that worked for me to access Download Mode.
    1) device off, unplug USB, pull out/reseat battery to try to clear possible bugginess in firmware.
    2) home + volume down + power (press in order and hold). Takes about 3 seconds. Displays the following.
    Warning!!!
    A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications.

If you want to download a custom OS, press the volume up key.
    Otherwise, press the volume down key to cancel.​
    Here's a repeatable method that worked for me to access Recovery Mode (aka bootloader menu).
    1) device off, unplug usb, pull out/reseat battery to try to clear possible bugginess in firmware.
    2) home + volume up + power (press in order and hold), release power when white Samsung logo appears. Takes about 7 seconds. Displays the following.
    -- Copying media files...
    Successfully copied meida files.

# MANUAL MODE *

-- Appling Multi-CSC...
    Installing Multi-CSC
    Write DFT
    Applied the CSC-code 'XAA'.
    Successfully applied multi-CSC.​
    Android system recovery <3e>

Enter: OK Key, Select : Vol UP / Vol Down
    reboot system now
    apply update from sdcard
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition​

UPDATE: A few days ago I'd sent a message to Samsung support, including mention of the User Manual download actually being for the 4.0. Well, I checked again today, just before submitting this post, and I see they did link a 4.2 manual around that time. On page 16 are Recovery Mode instructions that align with what I wrote above.
    You will probably need to make a version for the US model, or maybe we can see what the difference is and make a universal one.

There's no difference between the US and the Intl version. They are just different from the region.

Also CWM Port for the 4.2 Complete with wifi working!! :D
    solved problem, yp-gi1 root no wif

for other people with same problem as me:
    Modell: YP-GI1CB, downloaded rooted firmware for CB-modell, flashed via odin -- > NO WIFI!
    Downloaded the Kernel from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1885374 (as well the firmware)
    Flashed the kernel via Odin --> WIFI WORKS!!
    Powered off the device, plugged in the USB JIGG (mine is from d9m.eu and was for the SGS2, i guess all jigg are working)
    Gone into Download Mode, and tada, triangel flews away as well the galaxy s 2 bootlogo! So i am on a rooted galaxy s wifi 4.2 with original bootlogo, as the people who have no problem with wifi =)

after i tested titanium backup, delete unnecessary apps to free up ram etc, also tested sd booster, all work well!

thanks a lot alice90 for your help, but i had no time now and then i try this on my own risk but now everything works fine and as i wanted!!!
    :p:fingers-crossed::victory:

I hope other members can refer to my method and that i can help them =)
    I've been gone for two pages' worth of stuff and it's a bit tl;dr for me but it definitely looks like progress is being made!

I'm not sure if I should send my bricked 4.2 into Samsung or we're close enough to me being able to flash it back into commission, but I'm still guessing the former is a better option for now.

Hey Yippingbyrd; if your device is bricked already, there's less risk trying the ROMs. I would advise checking the PIT before, making sure the layout matches between US and INTL. I'll attach mine at end of the post so you can compare.

And btw the ROM upload is finally done!

Flash at your own risk

Stock and su-injected ROMs for YP-GI1CW ONLY

I'll make a dedicated thread later, need some sleep.

bluk