• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Galaxy S4 (i9505) bricked

Search This thread

pippo7216

Apr 28, 2011
Hi all,
I tried to update firmware of my GS4 using Odin (3.09) and an official Samsung S4 firmware 4.4.2 downloaded from SamMobiles. I've never had problem with this procedure... till today! The phone was on 4.3 Stock without any rooting or modification...

The flash procedure failed during flashing of system.ext4.gz file.

If I reboot the phone it says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again". Kies is unable to do anything: "GT-I9505 does not support initialisation".

If I put the phone in download mode I see:

ODIN MODE (in RED)
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9505
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOiD: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB:0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable (in GRAY)
eMMC BURST MODE enabled (in GRAY)

No further flash is possible... I mean that Odin repeatedly fail at the same point.

I please ask someone to help me providing some procedure to recover my phone or a pointer to a web page explaining it... :crying:

thank you

Alvise

Joku1981

Jun 4, 2012
1. Take a look if u have the correct drivers installed
2. Tell me if your phone is locked or unlocked
3. Attach one screenshot of the ODIN error pls

pippo7216

Apr 28, 2011
1. Take a look if u have the correct drivers installed

Do you mean the USB driver in Windows ? I've Windows 8 x64, and I've installed Kies 3. I supposed that Kies installed the correct drivers, in fact Odin could correctly recognize the phone.

2. Tell me if your phone is locked or unlocked

The phone is (or I should say was...) totally STOCK.

3. Attach one screenshot of the ODIN error pls

... they prevent the insertion of link in this page (I'm still too "noob")...

Guess it from the following pieces: http :// goo.gl /9dW780 ;)

Joku1981

Jun 4, 2012
I9505XXUFNC4_I9505OXXFNC3_I9505XXUFNC4_HOME

Got from SamMobile... is that wrong ? it is one of the few "nobrand"... and I've a nobrand phone. It can be the cause of my problem ? How can I choose the correct firmware ?

many thanks for your help :)

Alvise
Region of the phone? What country are u from?

pippo7216

Apr 28, 2011
Region of the phone? What country are u from?

I'm from Italy, but I think it is not an "italian" device. the CSC was marked as (SMI) before the brick... Now unfortunately I can't boot it anymore and can't tell you further info about hardware and software...
Do you think I can get more info from serial number or other text written under the battery ?

Alvise

samersh72

Nov 26, 2012
Android City
I'm from Italy, but I think it is not an "italian" device. the CSC was marked as (SMI) before the brick... Now unfortunately I can't boot it anymore and can't tell you further info about hardware and software...
Do you think I can get more info from serial number or other text written under the battery ?

Alvise

keep retrying
Odin troubleshooting: If Odin accidentally gives you "fail" try the following:
- Repeat procedure.
- Make sure that all actions of Kies are disabled from task manager.
- Change usb port.
- Try another usb cable (make sure it is the original).
- Try another Odin version.
- Uninstall and re-install driver.
- Use pit file.
- Try another computer.

Joku1981

Jun 4, 2012

Alvise

SMI dont exist.... maybe SMO (serbia) or SMA (philipines)

Joku1981

Jun 4, 2012
Resolved!
Moved to "virgin" Windows 8 64bit platform, installed only USB Samsung drivers (without installing Kies3).
Flashing has gone smoothly and now the phone is on 4.4.2 !

thank you for your support !

Alvise
Remember: Press THANKS button for avoid new posts. Im happy ur phone is working again :highfive:

Reactions: pippo7216

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Resolved!
    Moved to "virgin" Windows 8 64bit platform, installed only USB Samsung drivers (without installing Kies3).
    Flashing has gone smoothly and now the phone is on 4.4.2 !

thank you for your support !

Alvise
    Remember: Press THANKS button for avoid new posts. Im happy ur phone is working again :highfive: