[Q] Galaxy S5 Straight Talk variant SM-S902L

Search This thread

driving x

Dec 20, 2010
How are you able to run nougat what modem did you flash?
I am currently running 5.0 MOAR Thank you for the info.

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

RR or lineage which is better

driving x

Dec 20, 2010
The answer to my Question is amazingly that you don't do anything but flash the rom and gapps. I flashed Lineage and gapps 7.1 mini Everything is working great from KK to root to MOAR 5.0 to Lineage 7.0 With no modem or firmware upgrade. How is that even possible? This is the best S5 I have owned. I have had 5 so far 3 Verizon pull your hair out locked boot loaders and one Att same issue now a 902l that is so easy to flash I can't believe it. This is just a flash and go phone. I am really perplexed but happy.

Fleakm

Apr 13, 2016
Anyone having a issue will in a phone call your screen goes black and the phone goes into lock mode. I have to push the power button and unlock my phone to get back to the call

natemanguy

Sep 25, 2017
ive looked everywhere. Im running aicp marshmallow on my sm-s902l (klte), its always worked like a charm but after seeing Nougat, I want to upgrade. I've tried at least 6 different nougat OS's (Lineage, RR, aicp to name a few). After flashing rom and gapps through TWRP, they work awesome, runs smooth, no real issues besides that after I recieved a few text messages, I stop recieving them and I never get anybodys text after that. They recieve my text just fine. So, im back on my marshmallow recovery :/ anybody have any ideas to get my little sm-s902l beast updated?

bluser

Mar 16, 2016
ive looked everywhere. Im running aicp marshmallow on my sm-s902l (klte), its always worked like a charm but after seeing Nougat, I want to upgrade. I've tried at least 6 different nougat OS's (Lineage, RR, aicp to name a few). After flashing rom and gapps through TWRP, they work awesome, runs smooth, no real issues besides that after I recieved a few text messages, I stop recieving them and I never get anybodys text after that. They recieve my text just fine. So, im back on my marshmallow recovery :/ anybody have any ideas to get my little sm-s902l beast updated?

That's odd to be having that issue on all nougat Roms but not marshmallow. I don't think I've ever had an issue like that on my s5 and I've run many Roms so it's hard to say what the issue is. Your messages still send so I take it your data still works fine when this happens? Are you using the stock messaging app on each rom or another app? If you are using the stock messaging app maybe try using another one off the play store or vise versa. Have you tried the basics like restarting it to see if the issue keeps occurring?
Anything you can do to debug the issue and identify what is causing it. If all of the above didn't work possibly try reflashing the nougat Roms over what you are running without erasing anything except maybe cache. See if that fixes anything or at least allows you to receive messages for a short time until it stops again. I know its a lot but the more you can narrow down the issue the easier it will be to fix.
If all that doesn't work you could try running a logcat through adb.(if you have a computer to do so with) try to have some one send you a message. When you receive messages you should see a lot go through the logs all at once compared to when your phone is at idle. That might help you identify if your phone is even receiving the messages. If you try that I'd recommend turning off gps wifi auto rotate or any thing you can to reduce the amount of things running through logs so you can more clearly see what's happening.
If you can't identify the issue the only thing I can think k of would be trying a specific from version you know works on another one. I run RR-N-v5.8.4-20170812-klte-official on mine and have had no issues. I see there are newer version but I haven't tried them myself so I don't know if they work or not and won't be able to test those because my s5 is no longer activated but when I did use it I ran that version and had no issues.
I hope this helped some. Maybe at least helped see where the issue is coming from.

MoMoxie

Nov 9, 2017
Bluetooth on my Galaxy S5 (SM-S902L) is suddenly "unable to communicate with" ANY Bluetooth device. That's the message i get when i try. Bluetooth can scan, can find a Bluetooth device, but cannot connect to it, giving me that message. it's happened on 4 different devices, 3 of which were previously paired and working. I've tried unpairing and re-pairing. Didn't work. I tried restarting the phone. Didn't fix it. I tried removing the sim card and reinserting. No help there. Running out of ideas. Solutions, anyone? Thanks.

hthomas49

Nov 15, 2017
too bad none of this is understandable by a human. Even though my 4.4.2 version works fin, I'd like to be able to update. Is this a Straight Talk issue or Samsung issue?

BearTrapRuss

Feb 26, 2018
Anaheim California
SM-S902L Updated to Android 7.1.2

I was able to update (thanks to all the wonderful XDA contributors) my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-S902L on the TracFone network. It wasn't the easiest or least intimidating thing I have done but was successful after a few hours of hard work. Starting Android Version 4.4.2

Here are the steps I used
1. Go to settings -> about -> tap on build number 7 times to unlock developer mode
2. Download Odin on PC and install and run.
3. Boot phone in Download mode and connect USB to PC & Phone, allow USB Debugging.
4. Download TWRP to PC and install on phone via Odin.
5. Complete full (and I mean everything) system backup to SD card in Phone.
6. Download LineageOS build for klte and move to SD card as .zip file using adb
7. Download LineageOS Google Apps and move to SD card as .zip file using adb
8. Take a very deep breath and unplug USB from phone and reboot into recovery mode.
9. Take another very deep breath and Select wipe/advanced wipe to wipe out "data, cache, and system"
10. Go back to recovery main menu and select LineageOS klte zip file and install, follow any prompts offered.
11. Repeat install for the LineageOS google apps file, follow any prompts offered.

If at any time you get a fail message (I did the first two attempts and almost had a heart attack the first time) use the recovery file created in step 5 to restore "data, cache, and system"

When successful in all messages for install, reboot and be patient. I plugged my phone in for charging, but not to the computer just a charging plug. It took almost 35 minutes for the reboot to complete so don't hold your breath.

I hope this is helpful and I used enough of the correct terminology that others can find their way through the process. When I started the middle of January I was overwhelmed. Three weeks of study and I have a phone that is now running Android Version 7.1.2 (15 Feb 2018 build) without any problems. Calling, WiFi, Blutooth and messaging all works. The funny thing I have is that all the TracFone garbage apps are gone, but I didn't root the phone to do it. :good:

Reactions: cherranbo

Amrinder2000

Jan 16, 2016
Just a little update for u guys ive done alot of digging and cant find/or make stock firmware for this device so if you brick and cant get into recovery your screwed.
That being said if you make a full backup with twrp you should be ok to flash roms for the verizon s5 but you would still be taking a moderate risk something could allways go wrong. And youd be ok if you could still get into your recovery and use your backups.

Now with that out of the way i know theres people out there that can unbrick these phones with the right tools and files if anyone with the ability wants the files needed (if i havnt provided the right ones all ready) please pm me and ill give any stock files u need.

That goes for anyone else 2 i have twrp backups of system, modem, ect. If you need files to restore your phone. I also have the PIT file

Ill keep tinkering because its fun and ill post any success or failures here in the future:)
I Need the Files please

Reactions: jaym blaise

cherranbo

Sep 15, 2019
I was able to update (thanks to all the wonderful XDA contributors) my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-S902L on the TracFone network. It wasn't the easiest or least intimidating thing I have done but was successful after a few hours of hard work. Starting Android Version 4.4.2 ...

Mega thanks for this guide, both for the instructions and multiple reassurances. By combining it with LineageOS's klte install guide, I was able to install the latest LineageOS 16/Android Pie nightly build onto my Tracfone Galaxy S5. I'm extra thankful for your recommendation do a full backup with TWRP before upgrading-- I didn't need it during the installation process, but it saved my butt because I needed it to get calls/SMS working after installation (it wasn't a baseband/modem issue, see below for details).

A few notes I would like to add from my experience:
  • You may be tempted to enable zip verification in TWRP's options, but it will always fail because TWRP doesn't realize LineageOS is legit. If you want TWRP to verify your zips before installing, use TWRP's MD5 file integrity checker instead.
  • MAKE A FULL BACKUP IN TWRP like BearTrapRuss said to, because after upgrading you may be unable to use calls/SMS/data, and it may give you a "Mobile network not available" error. If this happens, go into TWRP and restore only the EFS option. LineageOS developer haggertk seems to know about this issue. For step-by-step instructions, or if you do not have an EFS partition backup, see this post.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Easy root for SM-S902L

I suppose that would be helpful...

Model SM-S902L
    Android version 4.4.2 (boo!)
    Kernel version 3.4.0-4647767
    Build number KOT49H.S902LUDUAOD3

Use CF-Auto-Root
    Just google it
    I have Resurection Remix Marshmallow running on my wifes S5 902L. RR 5.8 did not work. I am guessing firmware. i was able to flash Marshmallow version today. Everything works EXCEPT maps for GPS.. This is a big one for us. The Snap Camera also only has HDR or Auto.... I am searching for a solution - hoping Official LineageOS official when it comes out will help. All I know, is I cant stand Samsungs with Odin / Heimdall.... Too used to my Oneplus One or HTC M9. Hopefully someone has a known flash modem working with a stable Marshmallow or Nougat ROM for the SM-902L

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

KLTEVZ works.... THAT is the version you want on the SM-902L (I have it working but went to Resurrection Remix now). Mine had issues with CM14 / RR 5.8 Nougat recognizing the SIM. I went back to Marshmallow Resurection Remix (based on CM13) and after a clean wipe and install the phone came to life. GPS can tell where I am, but it does not track. Flashed this morning Jan 2, 2017... Still looking for better Camera then Snap (only auto and HDR mode on the S5 SM-902L).

I have the straight talk s902L and use kltevzw unofficial lineage OS 12/30 build and I have no problems at all gps, data, SMS, MMS, WiFi, all works my baseband is AOG2. I used the newest pico gapps package bare minimum
    I've been having the exact same problems. Used moar rom for weeks without any issues, then data is gone. Oddly enough, I can connect to 1x data by using the idoneapps Testing/Phone Info > Device Info feature to turn the preferred network type to CDMA Only. It ain't perfect (slower than molasses), but it's something.

For those of you looking to functional roms, I've had luck with moar rom and Phoenix rom.

I also can't change my APNs, and using the "vzwinternet" input didn't work for me either.

I must admit, it's kind of comforting to see that so many people are having the same issues! Crappy, but comforting...

i got my 4g data connection to work, all i had to do was contact straight talk and they some how fixed it from their end, so the issue was with the network and not the phone itself. just hit straight talk up in a chat and ask them to fix your data.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

I can make calls and get texts, no mms or data.
    I think that changing the apn would fix it, just trying to find out how to do it.
    Maybe editing the apns-conf.xml file?

no need to reflash any modem, the modem that comes with moar rom is the correct one, i just want to update you and let you know i got my 4g data to work just by simply calling up straight talk and they somehow fixed it from their end and i never once had to touch any apn settings. my data was working within 5 minutes after talking with straight talk.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

@masterx1234 Which firmware version did you odin flash after moar?

ValuSent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

i just flashed moar rom, thats it. then i flashed the stock modem.mbn file that was in the 4.4.2 rom for my phone in odin. then after that i flashed xposed module installer through twrp and thats about it.
    You guys are my last hope!

Got the Galaxy S5 from Straight Talk, after being fed up with a lousy upgrade experience with Virgin Mobile. Although the phone functions great, I have a real issue with ST not rolling out firmware updates like every. single. other. carrier.

First off, is there really no hope of a stable firmware update to Android 5.0?

Second, is it possible to root? Towelroot fails, and I can't find any straight answers anywhere else. Has anybody had any luck rooting?
    Just a little update for u guys ive done alot of digging and cant find/or make stock firmware for this device so if you brick and cant get into recovery your screwed.
    That being said if you make a full backup with twrp you should be ok to flash roms for the verizon s5 but you would still be taking a moderate risk something could allways go wrong. And youd be ok if you could still get into your recovery and use your backups.

Now with that out of the way i know theres people out there that can unbrick these phones with the right tools and files if anyone with the ability wants the files needed (if i havnt provided the right ones all ready) please pm me and ill give any stock files u need.

That goes for anyone else 2 i have twrp backups of system, modem, ect. If you need files to restore your phone. I also have the PIT file

Ill keep tinkering because its fun and ill post any success or failures here in the future:)
    I Need the Files please