• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Gamepad, game controller

Search This thread

shadow78

Oct 16, 2008
john o groats
Anyone tried to setup a controller on the tablet? I just purchased a moga power pro controller but I wa unable to set it up. It is workig fine with my S4 and the bluetooth works on the tablet becase I managed to connect the phone to the tablet via bluetooth.
Does anyone know how to setup the controller or becase it is a 3rd party device the access blocked?

Ironcladz

Nov 20, 2013
New York City
Anyone tried to setup a controller on the tablet? I just purchased a moga power pro controller but I wa unable to set it up. It is workig fine with my S4 and the bluetooth works on the tablet becase I managed to connect the phone to the tablet via bluetooth.
Does anyone know how to setup the controller or becase it is a 3rd party device the access blocked?

Are you just trying to connect via bluetooth? I haven't done this in a long time (way back on my Xoom) but I thought you needed a 3rd party app and Root access to link them.

Someone confirm? Would love to play Soulcraft II - with a gamepad.

shadow78

Oct 16, 2008
john o groats
Are you just trying to connect via bluetooth? I haven't done this in a long time (way back on my Xoom) but I thought you needed a 3rd party app and Root access to link them.

Someone confirm? Would love to play Soulcraft II - with a gamepad.

Moga has an app can be downloaded from the play store (moga pivot) and yes it uses bluetooth. This should work without root. If you google moga is a big name which should work on android 2.3 and above. I think the reason is samsung which is now blocking all 3rd part devices from 4.4.2 but I am not sure. I think the only option left is the samsung gamepad..

jonhy25

Oct 2, 2010
Montréal
I use my ps3 controller as gamepad with an adapter and it's working flawlessly. I've tested it with Dead Trigger 2 and Rayman Fiesta Run.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tahlsr

Nov 2, 2007
If anyone gets a wired xbox controller to work, please let us know what you did. I was totally just hoping it was going to work and it doesn't. (at least for me). I just get a blinking light on the xbox controller. I have the 10.5.

I even rooted and installed USB/BT JoystickCenter Gold Demo but then that gets a 'can not get access to /dev/uinput error'

Last edited:

Kagdilag

Aug 28, 2011
If anyone gets a wired xbox controller to work, please let us know what you did. I was totally just hoping it was going to work and it doesn't. (at least for me). I just get a blinking light on the xbox controller. I have the 10.5.

I even rooted and installed USB/BT JoystickCenter Gold Demo but then that gets a 'can not get access to /dev/uinput error'

try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/orig-development/kernel-skyhigh-tw-kernel-t2806563

maneetb

Jan 1, 2008
Has anyone been able to get the sixaxis app working? I can't... I believe it has to do with a missing Samsung Bluetooth protocol in newer Samsung devices.

That was one of my main reasons for getting a tablet! :mad:

tahlsr

Nov 2, 2007
Not that it matters but I emailed Samsung support and their response: Thank you for contacting Samsung. I see that you would like to know whether Galaxy Tab S supports hooking up to a wired xbox USB controller. I do understand your concern and requirement. However, this Tablet does not support wired xbox USB controller. Unfortunately, as of now theere are no compatible controllers that use an USB OTG cable for this model from Samsung and Samsung does not have any tested results on using PS3 controller with the Tablet. I hope the above provided information address your concern.

Reactions: redijedi808

saviora

Apr 28, 2011
controller recharges the tablet

is it possible to connect the controller (that has a battery pack) to the tablet and recharge the tablet?

eg. can a xbox one controller, that has a battery pack, be connected with an mhl cable/usb cable to a tablet and be used to charge the tablet? so the tablet is not drained while playing games.

(i asked this in the accessories forum too, apologies)

ayenzel

Oct 11, 2012
Labuan
I use PS3 Controller wireless using Sixaxis Controller app.. For the first time setup need otg, but after pairing no need the otg . Can use wireless.

maneetb

Jan 1, 2008
I use PS3 Controller wireless using Sixaxis Controller app.. For the first time setup need otg, but after pairing no need the otg . Can use wireless.

Thanks for the info! I just ordered an otg cable. Are you able to get two controllers working with the six axis app, or just one? My goal is to be able to use emulators with two Wireless PS3 controllers. Thanks!

sku||

Mar 28, 2012
Thanks for the info! I just ordered an otg cable. Are you able to get two controllers working with the six axis app, or just one? My goal is to be able to use emulators with two Wireless PS3 controllers. Thanks!

if you have a computer , you can just plug the controller in and set the address for it .. no otg needed :good:

maneetb

Jan 1, 2008
if you have a computer , you can just plug the controller in and set the address for it .. no otg needed :good:

I tried that, but the Galaxy Tab won't find the controllers. I've set it up on multiple devices, but couldn't get it working on this one.

I read that the newer Samsung devices don't come with a Bluetooth protocol that is required for sixaxis to work... I hope I'm wrong!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not that it matters but I emailed Samsung support and their response: Thank you for contacting Samsung. I see that you would like to know whether Galaxy Tab S supports hooking up to a wired xbox USB controller. I do understand your concern and requirement. However, this Tablet does not support wired xbox USB controller. Unfortunately, as of now theere are no compatible controllers that use an USB OTG cable for this model from Samsung and Samsung does not have any tested results on using PS3 controller with the Tablet. I hope the above provided information address your concern.
    xbox 360 wireless success

Thought about making a new thread about this but this looks as good as place as any to post. After many many trials and tribulations I have finally got my wireless xbox 360 controller to work I'll explain how. You have to have the xbox 360 wireless dongle to usb as well as a OTG cable to get this working properly. Somebody with a wired xbox controller might be able to use this method to get that working but I haven't tested it. This was done on the sm-t700 model (Tab S 8.4 WIFI) but I'm pretty sure it will work with any samsung tab s possibly other samsung models.

First there are two options,

Non root method but no analog sticks

Root method for full controller support.

For the non root method install this app USB/BT Joystick Center 2015 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.free.usbjoyfree&hl=en once installed look at the upper left corner of the app and touch the IME/Off button then just enable it on next screen. After that right below that button you clicked on there is a norm/hid search option click the NORM button. At this point it should recognize the controller and put a square box in middle of your screen click on that. Now it will give you the opportunity to map the buttons click on any button then click on your controller button to map it. It gives like a keyboard layout so just pick anything it dosen't really matter. I have tested this method with Drastic Ds emulator and worked for me just no analog stick control.

Root method. Alot more complicated be forewarned. First things first root using this method http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/cf-auto-root-chainfire-t2881826 after root use a program I used titanium backup pro to freeze all 5 knox apps. Now you need to flash your kernal to this permissive kernal http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/galaxy-tab-s-8-4-permissive-kernel-t2914628 after this use the same app from above USB/BT Joystick Center 2015 open app, click the same IME/OFF button as in the non root method but now instead of clicking the NORM button click the one right below HID button. Now on the upper right side there is a JOY button colored Green click that 2 times until the 360 icon next to it is highlighted then click big box in middle of screen. Now same as non root method you can map your controller buttons but this time all the sticks and corresponding button letters are available just map accordingly and start playing.

I have tested this in Drastic Ds, ePSXe, and Mupen64 plus also controller works in home screen using both methods. Hopefully this helps somebody in the future, Cheers!
    Thought about making a new thread about this but this looks as good as place as any to post. After many many trials and tribulations I have finally got my wireless xbox 360 controller to work I'll explain how. You have to have the xbox 360 wireless dongle to usb as well as a OTG cable to get this working properly. Somebody with a wired xbox controller might be able to use this method to get that working but I haven't tested it. This was done on the sm-t700 model (Tab S 8.4 WIFI) but I'm pretty sure it will work with any samsung tab s possibly other samsung models.

First there are two options,

Non root method but no analog sticks

Root method for full controller support.

For the non root method install this app USB/BT Joystick Center 2015 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.free.usbjoyfree&hl=en once installed look at the upper left corner of the app and touch the IME/Off button then just enable it on next screen. After that right below that button you clicked on there is a norm/hid search option click the NORM button. At this point it should recognize the controller and put a square box in middle of your screen click on that. Now it will give you the opportunity to map the buttons click on any button then click on your controller button to map it. It gives like a keyboard layout so just pick anything it dosen't really matter. I have tested this method with Drastic Ds emulator and worked for me just no analog stick control.

Root method. Alot more complicated be forewarned. First things first root using this method http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/cf-auto-root-chainfire-t2881826 after root use a program I used titanium backup pro to freeze all 5 knox apps. Now you need to flash your kernal to this permissive kernal http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/development/galaxy-tab-s-8-4-permissive-kernel-t2914628 after this use the same app from above USB/BT Joystick Center 2015 open app, click the same IME/OFF button as in the non root method but now instead of clicking the NORM button click the one right below HID button. Now on the upper right side there is a JOY button colored Green click that 2 times until the 360 icon next to it is highlighted then click big box in middle of screen. Now same as non root method you can map your controller buttons but this time all the sticks and corresponding button letters are available just map accordingly and start playing.

I have tested this in Drastic Ds, ePSXe, and Mupen64 plus also controller works in home screen using both methods. Hopefully this helps somebody in the future, Cheers![/QUOTE

tahlsr what model galaxy tab s do you have my friend? sm-t800 or sm-t805, i have sm-t800, will this kernel work on the 10.5?

That kernel is for the 8.4. Theres the same kernel for the tab s T800 in the orignal development section.